Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study Is love above faith?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
God is love (1 John 4:8). Therefore, to have faith in God is to have faith in God’s unconditional love which enabled Him to offer His life as a sacrifice for those who hurt Him and were unfaithful to Him. To have faith in His love does not mean that we merely know that He died for our sins (because even the devil knows that), but to put His love into practice; because, James (James 2:26) tell us that faith without works is dead faith. Furthermore, the scriptures tell us that love is above faith (1 Corinthians 13:2); love brings forgiveness of sins (1 Peter 4:8; Luke 7:47); acts of love are necessary in order to enter heaven (Matthew 25: 33-35); and forgive others in order to receive forgiveness (Luke 6:37).

Therefore, is love above faith?

greetings

1 cor ch 13 v 12 and v 13

12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.
13 So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

what is faith ?
being sure of what you hope for and being certain of what you do not see
- the substance of things hoped for

in the old testiment God shows Love to those who are faithfull to Him - those who break faith with Him die - see 1 kings, 1 and 2 chronicles and ezra to name but three.
lack of faith - trust in God encourages sin and guilt

Gods love is always preceeding to His faithfullness - He ACTS in Love because He IS FAITHFULL this is the way we are to be

what is love?
1 corinthians ch 13 v 3 - v 9
3 If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.
4 Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful
Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things love never ends

God loves His people psalms - 136
God loves the world - John 3 16
we are to love our enamies
romans ch 13 v 8 - owe no one any thing except the debt of love
love builds up

we love because God first loved us
with God Love and faith go hand in hand in the psalms and through the rest of the Bible check out Bible gateway

dza devlefa
a-R

Maybe you have to have faith before you can have love? or maybe they go hand in hand?

Good answer Anna-Rose.

Love is very very important to God as the scriptures quoted have born witness to. I believe without love life is meaningless and unfruitful. I am going to stick my neck out here and say no I don't think love is above faith because through faith all things are possible including having God's Love.

God bless
Julia

My belief is that they are interchangeable. I don't think its possible to have one w/o the other.

"For in Christ Jesus, neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love" (Galatians 5:6)

Absolutely Cyber!!!

However, I assume that this discussion is concerning 'faith in God and His Son' rather than a 'simple' understanding of 'faith' PERIOD. For 'faith' is NOTHING other than a 'belief' in somethings existence without physical PROOF.

For 'faith' in oneself IS 'faith'. Or faith is ANY 'belief' that can't be substantiated with physical PROOF.

So far as faith concerning God and Christ? One is certainly to 'come before' the other. Cyber has offered this PERFECTLY clear so far as scripture is concerned.

MEC

greetings

peoples opinions do not matter

declaring themselves wise they became fools

mans opinions are as water tight as a sieve.

when we make a statement about the Bible we must be carefull and very sure and accurate for mis representation leads men into error and sects start up.

it is not our opinions that matter or we fall into foolisg contravercies ( debates and arguments in some translations ) witch are devisive and achieve nothing but dischord.

dza devlefa
a-R

arunangelo said:
God is love (1 John 4:8). Therefore, to have faith in God is to have faith in God’s unconditional love which enabled Him to offer His life as a sacrifice for those who hurt Him and were unfaithful to Him. To have faith in His love does not mean that we merely know that He died for our sins (because even the devil knows that), but to put His love into practice; because, James (James 2:26) tell us that faith without works is dead faith. Furthermore, the scriptures tell us that love is above faith (1 Corinthians 13:2); love brings forgiveness of sins (1 Peter 4:8; Luke 7:47); acts of love are necessary in order to enter heaven (Matthew 25: 33-35); and forgive others in order to receive forgiveness (Luke 6:37). Therefore, is love above faith?
1 Corinthians 13:13
And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

IF God IS Love then there can BE NO FAITH that matters WITHOUT Love FIRST being present. We develope FAITH 'through' LOVE. It is the LOVE of God in which we HAVE faith.

And Anna, these are NOT opinions, these are statements BASED on The Word. Summerized perhaps but verifiable to any and ALL who 'choose' to READ The Word.

MEC

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back