Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Is my dialect (detailed description) a sin?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Justin01

Hello dear Family :biggrin

My issue is:
I just wondered wether my dialect (styrian - I am from Austria) is a sin.

"I" = Intonation problem
"D" = dialect problen itself

The styrian dialect kind of seems like a beer-drinking pasha who sits on the couch (just lower level).
((I > D, but still D too))

It also seems a little darker (because we make so much "o"'s of "a"'s in the original), kind of more direct/ more uninhibited and even lazy because we shorten so much words.
(D > I, but I makes still a difference)

Even we say down hear that German is the "advanced language" and the styrian dialect rather the uneducated farmer way of talking, etc.
(D)

I could weaken these symptoms of the dialect through intonation, but they'd still kind of be there, but the wrong (direct) intonation also worsens it.

It even sounds funny to us styrians if we hear our dialect in TV (just unused or already a sign of our conciousness that it is a sin, because it robs glory of character??)
(D)

The thing is: God said whenever someone is not sure about wether something is a sin it is a sin to them. BUT in Styria nearly everybody would look at me very weird if I started talking without a dialect.. (= very unsused and weird and many or some would think I even counted myself higher than them if I suddenly started talking in pure German.) Even my family (not saved - except one) would be drawn farer away from becoming a christian, because they'd see one more "chain" or "weird" ("" to them) aspect of becoming a christian.

Now I am even afraid and hindered of talking. (Sinning)

Examples:

German: nicht (not)
Styrian: ned ("-")

German: Nein (no) (more advanced)
Styrian: Na ("-") (very direct)

German: Ich mag das sehr. gerne. (I like that very much)
Styrian: I mog des fui. ("-")

(May doesn't give you the same feelings as us native speakers.)

God bless you and thank you for your opinions!

Last edited:
Hi Justin01 and welcome to CF. :wave2

Different dialects can be confusing in how one expresses themselves with words they speak, but if anyone does not understand the dialect they can always ask for a better explanation. I'm from the Northern States here in the USA, but now live in the Southern states and sometimes I have a hard time trying to understand the southern dialect, even though they speak English. Just be yourself and you should be all right in here.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back