Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Is not this more than just personal relationship ?

In the Old Covenant, God spoke to His people through the prophets. He gave them laws that were written on stony tablets (Exodus 20). They were to receive happiness by following His laws. This made them His people, and He their God. In the New Covenant, God became flesh by taking a human (John 1:14) and sacrificed His life to save us from sin (Matthew 26:27-28). Furthermore, He feeds us with the bread and wine, which are His sacrificial flesh (John 6:51) and blood of the New Covenant (Luke 22:20) so that we may have Eternal Life (John 6:54). In doing this He puts His life into us. This imprints His Words on our hearts (Jer. 31:33) to change our stony heart to natural one (Ezekiel 11:19). This means that believers follow God’s laws, not because they are laws, but because, they are the desires of their heart. In other words, their heart desires what God desires. This celebration of the Lord’s Supper is the wedding feast of the Lamb (Revelation 5:6) in which Christ unites with His Bride (His people) (Ephesians 5:25-32) and His people form one body by sharing the bread (1 Cor. 10:16-17). This sacrifice is celebrated daily from the rising of the sun even to the going down, in every place (Malachi 1:11). By partaking in this meal we establish a very intimate spousal communion with Christ (John 6:56) in which we join our selves to the Lord, thereby making us spiritually one with Him (1 Cor. 6: 17).

arunangelo said:
In the Old Covenant, God spoke to His people through the prophets. He gave them laws that were written on stony tablets (Exodus 20). They were to receive happiness by following His laws. This made them His people, and He their God. In the New Covenant, God became flesh by taking a human (John 1:14) and sacrificed His life to save us from sin (Matthew 26:27-28). Furthermore, He feeds us with the bread and wine, which are His sacrificial flesh (John 6:51) and blood of the New Covenant (Luke 22:20) so that we may have Eternal Life (John 6:54). In doing this He puts His life into us. This imprints His Words on our hearts (Jer. 31:33) to change our stony heart to natural one (Ezekiel 11:19). This means that believers follow God’s laws, not because they are laws, but because, they are the desires of their heart. In other words, their heart desires what God desires. This celebration of the Lord’s Supper is the wedding feast of the Lamb (Revelation 5:6) in which Christ unites with His Bride (His people) (Ephesians 5:25-32) and His people form one body by sharing the bread (1 Cor. 10:16-17). This sacrifice is celebrated daily from the rising of the sun even to the going down, in every place (Malachi 1:11). By partaking in this meal we establish a very intimate spousal communion with Christ (John 6:56) in which we join our selves to the Lord, thereby making us spiritually one with Him (1 Cor. 6: 17).

Is this not tantamount to "having intercourse" with God? Christ in you?

Can this "very intimate spousal communion with Christ" be an adulterous affair?

Can a person go to any "house of God" to have this very intimate spousal communion (relationship) with Christ?

Can a person make up his own "bed" in a "home alone" setting then bring Christ into a relationship in a "very intimate" way which Christ is obligated to "perform" to please us?

These are just a few of the questions that come to my mind.

Orthodoxy

Very carnal thinking on your part Orthodoxy. :roll:

In Jewish tradition those who were to wed were first betrothed, a commitment to marry. The son went back to his father's house, gained a bit of land from him, built a house in which to live... in short, prepared a place for his bride. The bridegroom made a promise to return for her through that betrothal and the bride waited for his return. When he did there was a marriage ceremony and much celebration, "feasting at the table".

Does any of this sound familiar?

The bible is a very Jewish book. Jesus used many Jewish traditions of Jewish culture for illustration.

I think it's very exciting knowing that God has done and is doing all that for us - human beings that He really doesn't need. He loves us that much! It's incredible! We really should be trying to have a closer relationship with Him. I mean God doesn't want us to just use Him in our times of need. He loves us dearly and wants to get to know us on a very personal level. God wants us to come to Him with every aspect of our lives and share it with Him. He wants us to seek His wisdom. He leaves the choice to us, however, and oftentimes (too often, actually) we walk away from Him. We're all guilty of it from time to time, but the wonderful thing about it is, when we come back to God, He's still there! He's like the father of the prodigal son. He doesn't leave us, and He always takes us back. It makes me smile and be thankful just thinking about how wonderful He is. Thanks for the reminder, Arunangelo.

PotLuck said:
Very carnal thinking on your part Orthodoxy. :roll:

In Jewish tradition those who were to wed were first betrothed, a commitment to marry. The son went back to his father's house, gained a bit of land from him, built a house in which to live... in short, prepared a place for his bride. The bridegroom made a promise to return for her through that betrothal and the bride waited for his return. When he did there was a marriage ceremony and much celebration, "feasting at the table".

Does any of this sound familiar?

The bible is a very Jewish book. Jesus used many Jewish traditions of Jewish culture for illustration.

What consummates the "intimate relationship with God" but the marriage bed found with "Christ in you".

Naw you missed my point that the Eucharist is the consummation of the marriage between Christ and His Church.

Oh well.

Orthodoxy

I'm not buying into the idea of the Catholic Church being the only correct church nor the idea that I must be affiliated in any way with Catholicism to be saved or that a personal relationship with Christ cannot be had on an individual basis.
Nor will I join in debate against the Catholic, never have and never will. The love of Christ doesn't come from tradition as seen in the NT concerning the pharisees. Nor is His saving grace to be mete out to the people through an earthly church. This does not mean I believe organised worship is wrong for I strongly believe it's to the advantage of the believer to find a church home of their choice.
Christ died, was buried and rose again. That's the essence of gospel and the cornerstone of all Christianity no matter what christian denomination one is led to embrace. If one needs an indepth academic framework to worship Christ then so be it. If one has not the capacity for such things then so be it. If one feels compelled to follow a Catholic path or Lutheran, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian or non-denominational and many others then so be it.

PotLuck said:
I'm not buying into the idea of the Catholic Church being the only correct church nor the idea that I must be affiliated in any way with Catholicism to be saved or that a personal relationship with Christ cannot be had on an individual basis.
Nor will I join in debate against the Catholic, never have and never will. The love of Christ doesn't come from tradition as seen in the NT concerning the pharisees. Nor is His saving grace to be mete out to the people through an earthly church. This does not mean I believe organised worship is wrong for I strongly believe it's to the advantage of the believer to find a church home of their choice.
Christ died, was buried and rose again. That's the essence of gospel and the cornerstone of all Christianity no matter what christian denomination one is led to embrace. If one needs an indepth academic framework to worship Christ then so be it. If one has not the capacity for such things then so be it. If one feels compelled to follow a Catholic path or Lutheran, Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian or non-denominational and many others then so be it.

All paths lead to God so lets "just get along".

The cancer of ecumenicalism is going to implode the protestant reformation. Mark my words this theology will doom the protestant reformation to complete and utter chaos and confusion.

Orthodoxy

Sort of like saying, "I'm ok, you're ok....NOT!

The cancer of ecumenicalism is going to implode the protestant reformation. Mark my words this theology will doom the protestant reformation to complete and utter chaos and confusion.

That is sadly the truth. :crying: A very prophetical statement but, true. Once this thinking patern gets more and more into the blood of pastors the next thing we'll be embracing is Voodoo and bowing before a Shinto shrine. All for the cause of "loving one another".

We are commissioned to...2 Corinthians 6:14 (KJV) Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

Amos 3:3 (KJV) Can two walk together, except they be agreed?

Romans 16:17 (KJV) Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.

Titus 3:10-11 (KJV) A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject; Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself.

1Timothy 6:3-5 (KJV) If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness; He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings, Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

Back