Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is Speaking in Tongues and Gifts of the Spirit still available today?

My Rock

The question of whether speaking in tongues and the gifts of the Spirit are still available today is a significant one that touches on the core beliefs of many Christian denominations. Throughout church history, there have been varying perspectives on the continuation of these spiritual gifts. Some argue that these gifts were specific to the early church and ceased with the apostles, while others, particularly in Pentecostal and charismatic circles, firmly believe that these gifts are still active and vital for the church today. Understanding the scriptural basis for both views, as well as the practical implications for modern Christian living, is essential for engaging in this important discussion. How do you interpret the relevant biblical passages, and what role do you believe the gifts of the Spirit should play in the life of the contemporary church?

The question of whether speaking in tongues and the gifts of the Spirit are still available today is a significant one that touches on the core beliefs of many Christian denominations. Throughout church history, there have been varying perspectives on the continuation of these spiritual gifts. Some argue that these gifts were specific to the early church and ceased with the apostles, while others, particularly in Pentecostal and charismatic circles, firmly believe that these gifts are still active and vital for the church today. Understanding the scriptural basis for both views, as well as the practical implications for modern Christian living, is essential for engaging in this important discussion. How do you interpret the relevant biblical passages, and what role do you believe the gifts of the Spirit should play in the life of the contemporary church?

That becomes a debate thread, and experienced Charismatics (at least the smarter ones anyway) don't generally blow much time debating over these issues. You might get some to interact with you at length, but you will likely get more interaction from protractors, because it's something of a hot button issue for many. Not a big topic of discussion for me, although I will interact if I see interesting things posted worth commenting on.

Blessings in Christ, and welcome to CF.Net. Hope you enjoy being a member here! Interested to see what your views on the subject are, btw.

Hidden

IMO cessationism is generally taken on tenuous grounds, and based more on aversion to chaos. As to [the relevant biblical passages], I shall touch but on a few.

I have heard that the Corinthians were so out of line with glossolalia, that Paul had to come down hard. Surely it is safer to have creeds, clergy, and canon, than charismania, strange fire? Fears make it easy to overlook that Paul thanked God that he spoke more in language he had not learnt, than these Corinthians, and that we oughtn’t put out Yahweh’s fire. On the one hand we can do without the charismata, but on the other hand as manifestations of grace they can be a great help.

Peter had spoken of something ongoing (Ac.2:38-9), and Luke is generally accepted as being both theologian and historian. But some folk now equate spirit-baptism with conversion, citing 1 Cor.12:13. But put in its historical context of a church big on both spirit-baptism and division, it may be translated thus: “We were all baptised in one spirit with reference to one body”—ie value unity. That’s how the Greek prepositions can function, as in Mt.3:11, where water-baptism was with reference to prior repentance—not for penance, as Wycliffe thought. Historically all or most of Paul’s audience had been spirit-baptised—it was common then, though later church history shows that the early continent of commonality became islands of un-commonality (eg Tertullian): charismata became sidelined. Acts shows conversion, sometime followed by water-baptism and spirit-baptism in no essential order:
  • Conversion/water-baptism/‌spirit-baptism: Ac.2:38; 8:12,17; 19:5-6.​
  • Conversion/‌spirit-baptism/‌water-baptism: 10:45,47.​
Some claim that when the perfect came (1 Cor.13:10), the imperfect charismata ceased. Did Paul mean the completed NT canon? But why not take the perfect to mean the still to be return of Christ?

Some merely dismiss what they cannot explain—or fear. IMO glossolalia is psycho-spiritual, ranging from a spirit-enabled trickle from our inner psyche, into spirit-enabled fully fledged articulate speech in human language unknown by the speaker, even as one can hum ditties to themselves yet be a Pavarotti at an opera. Sherlock Holmes strained his violin in monotony, but was a virtuoso player (A Study in Scarlet).

Put away all the different denominations and non-denominations with all their different doctrines and traditions and get back to what has already been written by the Godly inspired Prophets and Apostles. God's word is the same yesterday, today and forever including all the Spiritual gifts we read of in 1 Corinthians 12.

Spiritual gifts are supernatural manifestations that come as gifts from the Holy Spirit operating through believers for the common good. These are gifts we receive through grace that indicates that Spiritual gifts involve both an inward motivation and the power to perform ministry and is received from the Holy Spirit. No man can place a certain gift on themselves unless it is placed on them by the Holy Spirit.

1Corinthians chapter 12 explains these gifts given to those who are in service of the Lord for the purpose of Gods ministry to all nations as we are one in the body of Christ to all who have answered Gods call to reconciliation by his grace. Four walls do not make a Church, but one body gathered together in the name of Jesus is what makes up his true worldwide church and as those of each nation comes to Christ so are the gifts given to each individual working as a whole for the witness of Christ.

These gifts are for the governing of Gods ministry to keep us inline with his perfect will. They are not to be used to edify and lift up ones self to make one better than another, but to lift up and edify one another in the will of God which is his perfect will of love. Let us bind these gifts up in our hearts and use them for the purpose and intent that binds us together in love.

I have heard that the Corinthians were so out of line with glossolalia, that Paul had to come down hard. Surely it is safer to have creeds, clergy, and canon, than charismania, strange fire? Fears make it easy to overlook that Paul thanked God that he spoke more in language he had not learnt, than these Corinthians, and that we oughtn’t put out Yahweh’s fire.

Some good points made in your post, Vinnie. That's exactly what they were doing by the middle of the 3rd century; replacing the power of the Spirit with formalisms (creeds, clergy and canon), and now half the church is afraid of gifts because they're now "strange" to them. To me, any form of Christianity that does not move in the gifts is strange, though I am certainly glad for all people who embrace the Lord Jesus Christ as their Savior regardless of where they fall regarding Continuism.
Paul’s audience had been spirit-baptised—it was common then, though later church history shows that the early continent of commonality became islands of un-commonality (eg Tertullian)

Interesting way to put it. I wrote a study on it once that the reason it was reduced to uncommonality was because they ceased to pray incessantly (Ante-Nicene quotes prove this out, though I'd have to go find them). But the Spirit fell when they were all of one accord (Acts 2). Peter was supernaturally released from prison when they were engaged in corporate prayer. No prayer, no gifts, and no gifts, no genuine Christianity IMO, at least in practice anyway, though again I am thankful for all who give their hearts and lives to Christ to the very best of their knowledge and ability given when they've been taught.

Interesting way to put it. I wrote a study on it once that the reason it was reduced to uncommonality was because they ceased to pray incessantly (Ante-Nicene quotes prove this out, though I'd have to go find them).

Irenaeus (circa 130-202 AD)​

"In like manner we do also hear many brethren in the Church who possess prophetic gifts, and who through the Spirit speak all kinds of languages, and bring to light for the general benefit the hidden things of men, and declare the mysteries of God." {Against Heresies (Book 5, Chapter 6, Section 1)}

Irenaeus writes during a time when the spiritual gifts were still in evidence, particularly among the more fervent and faithful communities. This suggests that where fervent faith and prayer were maintained, gifts continued.

Tertullian (circa 155-240 AD)​

"For the Holy Spirit is wont to be called down and invited by prayer, and this manner of prayer invites His presence, securing the sanctification of the water." {On Baptism (Chapter 20)}
Tertullian emphasizes the importance of prayer in inviting the presence of the Holy Spirit, which is crucial for the manifestation of spiritual gifts. This supports the idea that fervent, continual prayer was seen as necessary for spiritual empowerment.

Origen (circa 184-253 AD)​

"Traces of that Holy Spirit which appeared at the beginning of the preaching of the Gospel have been lost. They have only now and then appeared, because very few have had the gift of healing, or the manifestation of visions, or the gift of prophecy." {Against Celsus (Book 1, Chapter 2)

Origen reflects on the decline of spiritual gifts, attributing it to a decrease in the presence and action of the Holy Spirit, which could imply a connection to the level of spiritual fervency and prayer among believers.

Chrysostom (circa 347-407 AD)​

"The gifts of the Spirit are not in use anymore... Why then were there so many wonders then, and now we do not even hear of them?" {Homilies on 1 Corinthians (Homily 29)

Although Chrysostom writes after the Ante-Nicene period, he reflects on the earlier times when spiritual gifts were more common. He attributes the decline in part to the changing context of the church, including perhaps a less fervent spiritual life.

Tertullian (circa 155-240 AD)​

"For the Holy Spirit is wont to be called down and invited by prayer, and this manner of prayer invites His presence, securing the sanctification of the water." {On Baptism (Chapter 20)}
Tertullian emphasizes the importance of prayer in inviting the presence of the Holy Spirit, which is crucial for the manifestation of spiritual gifts. This supports the idea that fervent, continual prayer was seen as necessary for spiritual empowerment.

Excellent! :thumb

I was familiar with the Origen quote and there is another one from the late 3rd century that echoes it. I was NOT familiar with this Tertullian quote, however, and he made precisely the point they lost sight of; the gifts come through prayer, corporate prayer especially, because the gifts were meant to be operated in corporately (1 Corinthians 14:26-32).

Blessings in Christ to you, and thanks for your posts. They seem very promising in many respects.

If I may, how do you identify yourself as far as your doctrinal affiliations go? And welcome to ChristianForums.Net.

If I may, how do you identify yourself as far as your doctrinal affiliations go? And welcome to ChristianForums.Net
I have been trying to steer people away from this question because if we try and let denominational doctrines inundate our lives it will directly influence our Interpretations which could become skewed from actual Truth of Scripture. But from what I interpret from Scripture would most closely resemble United Pentecostal Church.

I have been trying to steer people away from this question because if we try and let denominational doctrines inundate our lives it will directly influence our Interpretations which could become skewed from actual Truth of Scripture. But from what I interpret from Scripture would most closely resemble United Pentecostal Church.

Well thanks for sharing.

Others have voiced similar concerns. I was partly curious, and also wanted to inform you that should you wish to discuss/debate Pentecostal issues amongst Pentecostals only, you can do so in the forum below, provided you identified as such (UPC would qualify).

Just letting you know it's available, if there are certain instances where you'd prefer. It's a new feature at the forum.

Last edited:
Well thanks for sharing.

Others have voiced similar concerns. I was partly curious, and also wanted to inform you that should you wish to discuss/debate Pentecostal issues amongst Pentecostals only, you can do so in the forum below, provided you identified as such (UPC would qualify).

Just letting you know it's available, if there are certain instances where you'd prefer. It's a new feature at the forum.
Thank you checking it out now.

These gifts are active today. The gifts of the Spirit should play a significant role in the life of every human.

If you proclaim you are a Pentecostal Christian that is not a denominational doctrine it just says you believe as ALL first century Christians believed , IMO . Food for thought .

Back