Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Is The Bible Really Telling Us,..

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

HeIsRisen2018

Dramione love 3333
That it's alright to steal even though it specifically goes against the Ten Commandments? And what exactly does Jesus mean by allowing others to slap you on the cheek? (obviously I know that He is speaking metaphorically here) Luke 6:29-30 All I know is that if somebody slapped me I wouldn't just stand there and take it, I would slap them back out of self-defense and if somebody took something from me I would most definitely want it back and probably even call the police depending on the situation.

Stealing is always wrong. Just is.

And a slap/strike on the cheek was an invitation to a fight. A form of rude behavior that wouldn't cause harm or much pain but the invite would be very clear.

That it's alright to steal even though it specifically goes against the Ten Commandments? And what exactly does Jesus mean by allowing others to slap you on the cheek? (obviously I know that He is speaking metaphorically here) Luke 6:29-30 All I know is that if somebody slapped me I wouldn't just stand there and take it, I would slap them back out of self-defense and if somebody took something from me I would most definitely want it back and probably even call the police depending on the situation.

I'm not sure how you reached that conclusion from that passage, but I have always held that to mean, like when someone sues you in court,

And a slap/strike on the cheek was an invitation to a fight. A form of rude behavior that wouldn't cause harm or much pain but the invite would be very clear.

Back in the early days of this country they used to slap the other person on the cheek to challenge them to a duel. Just say no to the duel may indeed be the intent of this Scripture. Walk away if they let you, rather than slaying them in a sword fight. Today those who want to fight tend to verbally insult the other person as a challenge to a fist fight.

What Jesus was talking about was taking revenge. No where is the Bible are we told to be punching bags for others nor do we have to suffer illegal actions taken against us. We do have rightful and legal means t our disposal to correct the wrong. But our actions must be to correct wrongs, not to get back at the person who wronged us.

What Jesus was talking about was taking revenge. No where is the Bible are we told to be punching bags for others nor do we have to suffer illegal actions taken against us. We do have rightful and legal means t our disposal to correct the wrong. But our actions must be to correct wrongs, not to get back at the person who wronged us.

Thanks Zackuth that makes a whole lot more sense to me now. :idea

That is absolutely NOT what the Bible is telling us. It is never acceptable in God's eyes to steal. But Jesus was not talking to thieves. He was talking to Scripture believing Jews. Telling a thief; "God doesn't like that." is a waste of breath.

And, with regard to being slapped, did Jesus slap the people who slapped HIm in the face? Did Paul?

Jesus set a very high standard here. It is not "metaphor." He meant exactly what He said.
And, just like you, I would have a really hard time living up to that standard.

If you go back to vs. 27 you read that Jesus is speaking about loving your enemies and to do good to them that hate you. This is what Jesus did while hanging on the cross as they took from Him, but gave back love as He said "Father, forgive them for they know not what they do. Do not give hate for hate, or vengeance against your avenger. Other words show love and compassion for they know not what they do and pray for your enemies that they will see the light of Christ shine through you.

not sure how well i could turn the other cheek. a old time preacher man .who has went on home. was preaching a revival. after services was over. a man walked up to him outside and slapped him in the face. it was said he looked at him with tears in his eyes. said to him some of these days your going to slap a hypocrite :mouthdrop

Back