Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] *Jaw drops* Did he really say that?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

logical bob

Folowing some recent posts on some of the outrageous statements that appear on creatonist sites, here's an absolute beauty.

This Chick tract states that Jesus is the reason that atoms don't blow apart because of the electric repulsion between protons. (You have to scroll nearly to the bottom, although as you go look out for the claim that Neanderthal remains are actually those of modern humans with arthritis).

He is before all things, and in him all things hold together. Colossians 1:17

picard-facepalm.jpg

The particles in the nucleus of an atom are bound together by the strong nuclear force. It's much more powerful than the electromagnetic repulsion, but only effective over very short distances so it has very little effect on things bigger than a nucleus. Here's a short explanation.

This has been well understood since the 1950s as part of quantum electrodynamics. Far from being "a desperate theory to explain away truth" as Chick has it, this is the most experimentally supported scientific theory in history.

So I say again, how do they get away with this stuff? People on this board like to tell me that not all creationists are scientifically illiterate and quote long lists of qualified people to support that. Nobody with any scientific knowledge is going to buy this garbage here. Are we honestly expected to believe that physicists can't explain why atoms don't all blow up and have been hoping all this time that nobody rumbles them?

If you’re one of these oft-quoted scientifically qualified creationists, or if you know one of them, please could you have a word? Because this is another example of apologists making you a laughing stock.

On the most charitable interpretation, the author of this tract is deeply and deliberately ignorant. Either that or they’re deliberately lying to you.

Dude, don't judge all Christianity by what you read in a chick tract :lol They say some crazy things sometimes in chick tracts.

Caroline H said:
Dude, don't judge all Christianity by what you read in a chick tract :lol They say some crazy things sometimes in chick tracts.
:thumb Personally, I can't stand those things, not that I've read them all but I've read enough that I don't want to read any more of them.

hmm odd when the lord hasnt said that to the whole church in america that are truly seeking the lord.

i agree caroline that is a bit much.

To be frank, tracts are hardly Christian. We are told to "go" into the world. That doesn't mean to go stand by the door to the mall and hand out flyers, it means to GO into the hearts and the minds of the pagans and spread the Word of God and the Salvation He so lovingly gave us.

I never listen to tracts. Actually, at a bible group I go to we like to collect tracts and then make fun of what they say, because they are so ridiculous!

This does, however, show a "fear" the Christian community has adopted towards science, and it is a wrongly adopted fear. Science, real science, will run perfectly with God and His Word. The problem is that to often the hate between evolutionist and creationist boils over into other sciences which, frankly, have nothing to do with them. Chemistry (general) has very little, if anything, to do with evolution/creation battle-royal.

To make you happy, I'll state it here, that atoms are not held together because of Jesus, but because God created an amazing force called the Strong Force which is so strong it can overcome the fight between negative and positive magnets. (Sorry, its generalized... but you should be happy) :wave

Many of the "tract" stuff is childish and tailored to a more simple time and uneducated populace. Their attempt was to make as big an impact in as few words as possible. For many people, their eyes glaze over at the mention of anything more complex than the cover story of the National Enquirer.

That being said, the question of "WHY" there is a strong nuclear force and the theorized exchange of "mesons" and so forth is beyond explanation. It's another one of the tenets of "faith" that atheists cling to and say "just because!". To believers in a Creator, it's more evidence of the design so apparent in the universe.

Oh, and also, Neanderthals HAVE been classified as homo sapiens now, not a sub-human species. I always found the disconnect between scientific ideals and reality humorous... as did our friend Gary Larson in his cartoon showing a short, fat, balding businessman standing at a bus stop after the picture of Cro Magnon man.

burke, we are pretty much the same as that species. but i dont believe in toe, as the h.neanderthalis is but a vartation of h.ergaster.

Oh, and also, Neanderthals HAVE been classified as homo sapiens now, not a sub-human species. I always found the disconnect between scientific ideals and reality humorous... as did our friend Gary Larson in his cartoon showing a short, fat, balding businessman standing at a bus stop after the picture of Cro Magnon man.

we are the neatherdals, and they are variations of h.ergaster. of course, i dont beleive in the toe.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be frank, tracts are hardly Christian. We are told to "go" into the world. That doesn't mean to go stand by the door to the mall and hand out flyers, it means to GO into the hearts and the minds of the pagans and spread the Word of God and the Salvation He so lovingly gave us.

I never listen to tracts. Actually, at a bible group I go to we like to collect tracts and then make fun of what they say, because they are so ridiculous!

This does, however, show a "fear" the Christian community has adopted towards science, and it is a wrongly adopted fear. Science, real science, will run perfectly with God and His Word. The problem is that to often the hate between evolutionist and creationist boils over into other sciences which, frankly, have nothing to do with them. Chemistry (general) has very little, if anything, to do with evolution/creation battle-royal.

To make you happy, I'll state it here, that atoms are not held together because of Jesus, but because God created an amazing force called the Strong Force which is so strong it can overcome the fight between negative and positive magnets. (Sorry, its generalized... but you should be happy) :wave

Don't be fooled...Jesus does indeed hold everything together....He's God....Thats his Job....

And no disrespect.....
but as a Christian....you can be spending time making your own tract rather than laughing at thiers

I used to like Chick Tracts when I was young, then I grew up.

Oh, . . . this was REALLY just a post to test to see if I was able to post in the Christianity & Science forum.

:)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back