Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Jesus Christ, The Word of God

K2CHRIST

The Lord once told me - "Karl, I want you to preach the word but not as it is so often preached today. I want you to preach I AM the word of God" - When He said "I AM" those words hit me so hard, even though it was just thru His small voice, that it cause me to start stumbling to the floor. I was in my bathroom and was able to catch myself before I hit the floor but His tell me "I Am" can have power, and apparently it has a connection to Him being the Word of God we preach.

Him being the Word of God and the great "I Am" means we can hear from Him now, in words that are from God, and right now because He is always with us. That is preaching the Word of God in a nut shell.

This morning He has been bugging me to do a thread on this. I have done others for Him and 15 years ago, when He had me bring this up, this was really not well received. I believe it is getting better.

We like to call the Bible (the Holy Scriptures) the Word of God. After all the authors who wrote the Bible heard from God and wrote down what He asked them, right? Yeah, right? So we should call the Bible the Word of God, right? I understand, but perhaps not. Perhaps we should call the Bible the Holy Scriptures and call the great I Am who talks to us the Word of God?

What did the authors of the Bible do? Did they call the Scriptures the Word of God or did they call Jesus Christ the Word of God?

So on with the study;

Rev 19:13 He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.

Ok, that is pretty clear. Jesus Christ by name, is called The Word of God - and that from a book called Revelation. I know the pastor at my rather large church tells us that Revelation is a revelation of Jesus Christ. I agree with him. I believe understanding the Jesus has a name and that name is called "The Word of God" is a revelation to many. Thus this study!

Jn 1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God.... And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.... For of His fullness we have all received, and grace upon grace. For the Law was given through Moses; grace and truth were realized through Jesus Christ.

John walked with Jesus and must have known Jesus Christ as Jesus, but he started off His gospel about calling Jesus 'the Word'.

Heb 4:12,13 For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him with whom we have to do.

I have seen many post Heb 4:12 without verse 13 and conclude that the Bible is alive. The fact is that Jesus Christ is alive and active. We should know that because He talks to us, telling us the word of God for us, and then we see Him do works among us to back up what He told us. He had me working in a Christian healing ministry and we got words from His Spirit speaking to our spirit and then would see Him do a great work of healing right in front of us a times, confirming what He told us.

Mark 16:20 And they went out and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked with them, and confirmed the word by the [fn]signs that followed.

Yet what is really amazing to me with this study is that you see Him all through the Old Testament if you understand the revelation that His name is called the Word of God and that is the same thing as "word of the Lord" The prophets were always calling Him 'the word of the Lord'. It starts with Gen 15

Gen 15:1 After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying, “Do not fear, Abram, I am a shield to you;
Your reward shall be very great.”

Since His name is called "The Word of God" which is the same thing as saying 'word of the Lord' we can simply replace "Jesus Christ" which is what we call Him, in any place we find "word of the Lord" and it should make some since. Let's try to apply the revelation John gave us about Jesus being call "The Word of God" and see! The above verse would then read:

Gen 15:1 After these things Jesus Christ came to Abram in a vision, saying, “Do not fear, Abram, I am a shield to you;
Your reward shall be very great.”

Wow - that works great doesn't it? Of course the Christ had not yet taken on flesh and gone to the cross so as to be know as Jesus - "God's salvation" like we know Him today, but the One we know as Jesus was the same One who even then came with the words of God, so was know as "the word of the Lord".

If we keep replacing 'the word of the Lord" with "Jesus Christ" because they are both names for the One whose voice we hear, then
we should be able to get more and more revelation about the Jesus Christ in the Bible

Exo 9:20 The one among the servants of Pharaoh who feared [JESUS CHRIST] the word of the LORD made his servants and his livestock flee into the houses;

I love doing this - We know how important it is to fear God, and that Jesus Christ is the Word and is God, and we see the importance in the Bible of listening with a bit of fear when we hear Him, so that we take the appropriate actions.

Numbers 15:31 ‘Because he has despised [JESUS CHRIST]the word of the LORD and has broken His commandment, that person shall be completely cut off; his guilt will be on him.'”

That applies today, doesn't if? I mean if we despise Jesus Christ as the Word, then we don't seek Him, don't believe in Him, and our guilt remains on us so that we get cut off and wind up in hell. You can see that even in the Old Testament if you simply understand that Jesus Christ is the Word of God.

Now I could go on but He just told me to challenge others to continue to look into this for themselves. You can respond with what you found. :)

I got very excited K2CHRIST when I read the first paragraph of your post. I got this urge to keep telling people that Jesus is the Word of God. I mean emphasize it. It seems that we do not usually refer to him as the Word of God, but he was the Word of God before he became flesh. Though he died and resurrected, he was never dethroned from his position as the Word of God. He is still the Word of God. I believe that there is more revelation about Jesus being the Word of God that I can put my finger on right now. Anyway, for now, I just want to enjoy telling people that Jesus is the Word of God. Eat his body and drink his blood. John 6:54-55.

It is exciting to have it revealed to us that the One with the small voice we pick up in our walk with our Lord is the same One that talked to Abraham, Moses, and all the others. It seems like it should be obvious to us, but some how it isn't made clear to us like it should in many of our or churches. It must have been the same even back then, which explains why John opened up his gospel by calling Jesus, the guy he walked with, the Word, and also why it comes up in his book Revelation. It is often a revelation to Christians. :)

I think one of the things that get missed is that it is the Son who was telling those who wrote the Scriptures what to write. We can see that in Malachi

Mal 1:1 The oracle of the word of the LORD to Israel through Malachi.

Which could read : The oracle of Jesus Christ to Israel through Malachi.

An oracle is a saying, and a word is something said. So 'the word of the Lord' is One the oracle comes from to Malachi. So Jesus spoke to Malachi the words that Malachi wrote, but I don't think many Christians actually understand this.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 12:48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
John 12:49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
John 12:50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.

The Bible is our text book of the living word of what God has already spoken and given to speak and teach others as God's Holy Spirit teaches all of us.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John 12:48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
John 12:49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
John 12:50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.

The Bible is our text book of the living word of what God has already spoken and given to speak and teach others as God's Holy Spirit teaches all of us.

I like the above post - there are a few things to say about it though.

First - In John 1:1 That is clearly the One we call Jesus Christ! It is not the text book but the Lord

Second - In John 12:48 - note that it is Him, Jesus Christ, who is rejected and His words that we do or don't receive - That is to say we reject a person, not a book but a person, the Son who we call Jesus Christ!!! He has words that He speaks, and we have the opportunity to reject Him by not receiving His words or not. This verse goes really well with Rev 3:20 where Jesus said He stands at the door and knocks and if anyone hears His voice and opens the door He will come into the and eat with them and them with Him. So it is He, Him, His voice, and not the Bible but His voice!!

Third - in John 12:49 Jesus explain that He has not spoken of Himself - which seems weird, but He is again not referencing the Bible but the Father. You see Jesus only says what the Father tells Him! So He hears the Father give Him instruction even down to the words He should speak, and those words is what He speaks. Note: He does read the Bible and speak what the Father wrote, but He literally hears the Father speak to Him and speaks those words to us - He does that even today. The Father has given the Son all things, including the very words of God which come from the Father. So Jesus owns them! Because the Father gave them to Him. The Spirit of God then takes the words of God which belong to the Son and speaks them to our spirit!! You can see this also in John 16

John 16:13 -15 “But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. “He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you. “All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you.

Forth - We again see the Jesus speak only what the Father tells Him. God is spirit and God is also omni-present, so we have assess to the Father through Jesus Christ by picking up the words the Holy Spirit take from the Son, who owns them because the Father gave them to Him. But then again, since they are from the Spirit, then not from the ink on pages. They are not words we read with our spiritual eyes but words we hear with our spiritual ears from the Holy Spirit! We can see that again in John 6

John 6:63 “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.

So our physical eyes reading the Bible is not what profits us concerning life. It is our spiritual ears picking up what the Holy Spirit has to say to us that does - according to what it written in the Bible! So searching the Bible for life is a mistake. What is not a mistake is reading the Bible to get the wisdom that lead us to Jesus Christ who we can hear from if we have faith.

2 Tim 3:15 and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

And Fifth: The Bible is indeed the Lord's textbook. And He is the Teacher, right? It is written that they will all be taught of God, but perhaps all in that context does not mean everyone but all His disciples, students, children, etc.

Now He shows us something, then we should be able to pass it on, but if we are thinking we are the teachers instead of Him, are we turning people to Him or to us. Are we God and the Teacher, or is He? I am all for people passing on things they got from Him, but don't we even at those time point to Him????

Consider this following verse and think about who is supposed to be doing the teaching, reproving, giving out correction, and training! Isn't it Him? Who is supposed to be using the Scriptures to do the above if not Him? Honestly, that is not the impression I ever get from any people who have quoted me the following verse - so consider please, He asked me to consider it one day and I laughed when He pointed it out. Because I, like others, tend to think that verse means we people are to us the Scriptures for those purposes! I used the Scriptures above to teach, reprove, and to help train -- still I really need to be pointing people to Him - which is really what my post is about.

2 Tim 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

If inspired by God then the Scriptures are to be used by God to teach us, reprove us, correct us, and train us!!

So my post is about turning people to Him, getting them to listen to Him, get taught by Him, corrected by Him, and trained up by Him!!

Prov 3:6,7 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.

I like the above post - there are a few things to say about it though.

First - In John 1:1 That is clearly the One we call Jesus Christ! It is not the text book but the Lord

Second - In John 12:48 - note that it is Him, Jesus Christ, who is rejected and His words that we do or don't receive - That is to say we reject a person, not a book but a person, the Son who we call Jesus Christ!!! He has words that He speaks, and we have the opportunity to reject Him by not receiving His words or not. This verse goes really well with Rev 3:20 where Jesus said He stands at the door and knocks and if anyone hears His voice and opens the door He will come into the and eat with them and them with Him. So it is He, Him, His voice, and not the Bible but His voice!!

Third - in John 12:49 Jesus explain that He has not spoken of Himself - which seems weird, but He is again not referencing the Bible but the Father. You see Jesus only says what the Father tells Him! So He hears the Father give Him instruction even down to the words He should speak, and those words is what He speaks. Note: He does read the Bible and speak what the Father wrote, but He literally hears the Father speak to Him and speaks those words to us - He does that even today. The Father has given the Son all things, including the very words of God which come from the Father. So Jesus owns them! Because the Father gave them to Him. The Spirit of God then takes the words of God which belong to the Son and speaks them to our spirit!! You can see this also in John 16

John 16:13 -15 “But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. “He will glorify Me, for He will take of Mine and will disclose it to you. “All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said that He takes of Mine and will disclose it to you.

Forth - We again see the Jesus speak only what the Father tells Him. God is spirit and God is also omni-present, so we have assess to the Father through Jesus Christ by picking up the words the Holy Spirit take from the Son, who owns them because the Father gave them to Him. But then again, since they are from the Spirit, then not from the ink on pages. They are not words we read with our spiritual eyes but words we hear with our spiritual ears from the Holy Spirit! We can see that again in John 6

John 6:63 “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life.

So our physical eyes reading the Bible is not what profits us concerning life. It is our spiritual ears picking up what the Holy Spirit has to say to us that does - according to what it written in the Bible! So searching the Bible for life is a mistake. What is not a mistake is reading the Bible to get the wisdom that lead us to Jesus Christ who we can hear from if we have faith.

2 Tim 3:15 and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

And Fifth: The Bible is indeed the Lord's textbook. And He is the Teacher, right? It is written that they will all be taught of God, but perhaps all in that context does not mean everyone but all His disciples, students, children, etc.

Now He shows us something, then we should be able to pass it on, but if we are thinking we are the teachers instead of Him, are we turning people to Him or to us. Are we God and the Teacher, or is He? I am all for people passing on things they got from Him, but don't we even at those time point to Him????

Consider this following verse and think about who is supposed to be doing the teaching, reproving, giving out correction, and training! Isn't it Him? Who is supposed to be using the Scriptures to do the above if not Him? Honestly, that is not the impression I ever get from any people who have quoted me the following verse - so consider please, He asked me to consider it one day and I laughed when He pointed it out. Because I, like others, tend to think that verse means we people are to us the Scriptures for those purposes! I used the Scriptures above to teach, reprove, and to help train -- still I really need to be pointing people to Him - which is really what my post is about.

2 Tim 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

If inspired by God then the Scriptures are to be used by God to teach us, reprove us, correct us, and train us!!

So my post is about turning people to Him, getting them to listen to Him, get taught by Him, corrected by Him, and trained up by Him!!

Prov 3:6,7 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
And do not lean on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,
And He will make your paths straight.
All will be taught if they have ears to hear what the Spirit of God says.

All will be taught if they have ears to hear what the Spirit of God says.

Yes - and the good news is that He stands at the door and knocks and if anyone hears His voice and opens the door He will come into them and eat with them and them with Him

So it is also written that all who seek find - and that is to say they find Him.

The Spirit of God is not the only spirit, but He is there to be found by "anyone". And so our message is to seek the Lord Jesus Christ and listen to what He has to say to us via His Holy Spirit to our spirit. And what He says is awesome... and perhaps the most awesome thing is to hear Him tell you He loves you. He tells you that, and you will know it is true.

So the Word of God I preach is Him, Jesus Christ - that all should come to know Him who we can all get to know, if we seek Him!

Back