Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Jesus, Spirit or Flesh

C

ChristineES

There is another board I just started posting at, and on it is whole section for Jehovah's Witnesses.
JWs believe that Jesus was raised in the Spirit. I replied to one JW that I had a place in the Bible in which Jesus spoke to his Apostles and said he was flesh to them and even ate some fish. He replied that Jesus had manufactured a body for Himself.
The story, from Luke Chapter 24 verses 36-43 is as follows:

36 And as they thus spoke, Jesus himself stood in the middle of them, and said to them, Peace be to you.
37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.
38 And he said to them, Why are you troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit has not flesh and bones, as you see me have.
40 And when he had thus spoken, he showed them his hands and his feet.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said to them, Have you here any meat?
42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

I have always believed that Jesus was raised in the flesh. This JWs posted this quote-from Corinthians Chapter 15 verse 50 to prove his point:

50 Now this I say, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither does corruption inherit incorruption.

What do you think about this? Do you believe that Jesus was raised in the flesh or the spirit?

Why does it have to be either or?
What reason is there for that?
:smt017

Only thing I can figure is to further JW doctrine.
It's almost like another well known religion that claims Mary could not have been impregnated by spirit but only by flesh thereby proving God was once a man and probably still is citing what Christ said.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Twisting scripture is nothing new to the JWs either.
That's why I ask for a reason it must be of one or the other.

Christine, you may want to have your opponents read the remainder of 1 Corinthians 15 ... they seemed to have overlooked Paul's point:

1 Corinthians 15:50-54 "And I say this, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does corruption inherit incorruption. (51) Behold, I speak a mystery to you; we shall not all fall asleep, but we shall all be changed; (52) in a moment, in a glance of an eye, at the last trumpet. For a trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall all be changed. (53) For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. (54) But when this corruptible shall put on incorruption, and when this mortal shall put on immortality, then will take place the word that is written, "Death is swallowed up in victory."

Jesus was raised in His entirety from the dead, flesh and spirit-- but spirit doesn't seem to be the issue at stake here. Nonetheless, even from the verse they pointed you to in Corinthians, Paul makes it clear that flesh is raised, all has been redeemed in Christ.

Furthermore, if Christ had only been "spiritually" raised without flesh... Thomas would not have been able to touch Him (cf. John 20:27).

ChristineES said:
There is another board I just started posting at, and on it is whole section for Jehovah's Witnesses.
JWs believe that Jesus was raised in the Spirit. I replied to one JW that I had a place in the Bible in which Jesus spoke to his Apostles and said he was flesh to them and even ate some fish. He replied that Jesus had manufactured a body for Himself.

36 And as they thus spoke, Jesus himself stood in the middle of them, and said to them, Peace be to you.
37 But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.
38 And he said to them, Why are you troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit has not flesh and bones, as you see me have.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said to them, Have you here any meat?

I have always believed that Jesus was raised in the flesh. This JWs posted this quote-from Corinthians Chapter 15 verse 50 to prove his point:

50 Now this I say, brothers, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither does corruption inherit incorruption.

What do you think about this?

The Gnostic Paul speaks.....

Do you believe that Jesus was raised in the flesh or the spirit?

Jesus gave up his Spirit at his death. At his resurrection (bodily), he was reunited with his Spirit....The same with Lazarus, except Jesus' body was glorified upon his resurrection. Just as Lazarus was raised in the flesh, so too was Jesus.

PotLuck said:

It's almost like another well known religion that claims Mary could not have been impregnated by spirit but only by flesh thereby proving God was once a man and probably still is citing what Christ said.

John 3:6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

Well the reason is given by them. Flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingom of heaven. You are saying, "why can't it be both?" They are saying it can't be both because flesh and blood cannot enter. Seemed rather obvious to me.

PotLuck said:

Well the reason is given by them. Flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingom of heaven. You are saying, "why can't it be both?" They are saying it can't be both because flesh and blood cannot enter. Seemed rather obvious to me.

ChristineES said:
He replied that Jesus had manufactured a body for Himself.
ask him to show scripture for this, he can't.

ChristineES said:

I have always believed that Jesus was raised in the flesh.
and you were right to believe it too, here is you some more proof:

Act 2:30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne;

ChristineES said:
This JWs posted this quote-from Corinthians Chapter 15 verse 50 to prove his point:

What do you think about this?
all that means is that your flesh and blood Father cannot give you the Kingdom of heaven as an inheritance, Jesus was in the flesh after his resurrection as the verses you posted indicates, and it can be seen in other scriptures that blood is the life of all flesh, here are a few verses that show this:

Gen 9:4 But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof,

Lev 17:11 For the life of the flesh is in the blood

Lev 17:13 And whatsoever man there be of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn among you, which hunteth and catcheth any beast or fowl that may be eaten; he shall even pour out the blood thereof, and cover it with dust.
Lev 17:14 For it is the life of all flesh; the blood of it is for the life thereof: therefore I said unto the children of Israel, Ye shall eat the blood of no manner of flesh: for the life of all flesh is the blood thereof: whosoever eateth it shall be cut off.

we've allready established that he was raised in the flesh, and now as you can see he also had to have blood, or else he could not be alive, and i believe we can all agree that he is alive.

ChristineES said:
Do you believe that Jesus was raised in the flesh or the spirit?
well the bible says flesh, so i guess thats what i'll have to stick with.

Back