Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

Jesus's four brothers.

Sabé.

Catholic
Part I

In this post, I will show the teaching that Jesus's four brothers (Matt. 13:55/Mk. 6:3) were His half-siblings is false.

To preface, the Koine Greek word "ἀδελφός'' (sing. adelphos/brother;pl. ἀδελφοί/adelphoi/brothers) has the following definitions: "fellow-countryman," "disciple/follower," "one of the same faith," and "kinsman/kinswoman, or relative," e.g., sibling, cousin, nephew, niece, uncle, aunt, etc. In the plural, it regularly refers to men and women.

In Matt. 13:55/Mk. 6:3, Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) are called Jesus's "ἀδελφοί" (adelphoi/brothers). The context shows that its applicable definition is "kinsman, or relative." In Gal. 1:19, Paul calls a man named "James" Jesus's ἀδελφός (adelphos/brother), and the context shows that its applicable definition is "kinsman, or relative" as well. Therefore, we can deduce that the James's in Matt. 13:55/Mk. 6:3 and Gal. 1:19 were the same person. In the same verse, Paul indicates that James is one of the Twelve, and only one of the two named "James" of the twelve apostles, and their known siblings, correspond with Matt. 13:55/Mk. 6:3 (see bold):

Apostle James the Great and Apostle John of Zebedee
(Matt. 4:21, Mk. 1:19;3:17;10:35, Lk. 5:10, Ac. 12:1-2)

Apostle James the Less, Apostle Judas (Jude/Thaddeus), and Joseph of Alphaeus
(Matt. 10:3, Mk. 3:18;15:40, Lk. 6:15-16, Ac. 1:13)

The following scriptural verses and early Christian testimonies collectively prove that the apostles James and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) of Alphaeus, and their siblings, were the brothers (kinsmen/relatives) of Jesus:

Two accounts of the same scene:
"Mary the mother of James" (Mk. 16:1)
"Mary the mother of James" (Lk. 24:10)

Three accounts of the same scene:
"Mary Magdalene, Mary (Mary of Clopas/Cleophas) the mother of James (the Less) and Joseph, and the mother of the sons of Zebedee (Salome)" (Matt. 27:56)

"Mary Magdalene, Mary (Mary of Clopas/Cleophas) the mother of James the Less and Joseph, and Salome (the mother of the sons of Zebedee)" (Mk. 15:40)

"His (Jesus's) Mother, His (Jesus's) Mother's sister Mary the wife of Clopas/Cleophas (the mother of James the Less and Joseph) and Mary Magdalene" (Jn. 19:25)

I. "Mary the wife of Cleophas or Alphaeus [Clopas)] who was the mother of James the bishop and apostle, and of Simon and Thaddeus (Jude/Judas), and of one Joseph." (Papias of Hierapolis [c. 60–130 AD], Fragments of Papias, Frag. 10, cf. Jn. 19:25)

II. "[...]James, who is called the brother of the Lord [...] as appears to me, the son of Mary sister of the mother of our Lord [...] after ordained by the apostles bishop of Jerusalem, wrote a single epistle, which is reckoned among the seven Catholic epistles" (cf. Jud. 1:1) and "[...] Mary who is described as the mother of James the Less was the wife of Alphaeus and sister of Mary the Lord's mother" (Jerome of Stridon [c. 347–420 CE], De Viris Illustribus, De Perpetua Uirginitate Beatae Mariae, cf. Jn. 19:25)

III. Eusebius of Caesarea [c. 260–340 AD] relates the following in his Historia Ecclesiastica:

James, the brother of the Lord, was "[...] the author of the first of the so-called catholic epistles" and that while it is disputed, "as is the case likewise with the epistle that bears the name of Jude, which is also one of the seven so-called catholic epistles," it is known they have been "[...] read publicly in very many churches." (Bk. I, ch. 23, cf. Jud. 1:1)

"James [...] surnamed the Just [...] bishop of the church of Jerusalem. This James was called the brother of the Lord" and "Paul also makes mention of the same James the Just, where he writes, 'Other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.'" (Bk. II, ch. 1)

"[...] those of the apostles and disciples of the Lord [...] with those that were related to the Lord according to the flesh [...] pronounced Symeon [Simon], the son of Clopas [...] to be worthy of the episcopal throne of that parish. He was a cousin, as they say, of the Saviour. For Hegesippus records that Clopas was a brother of Joseph." (Bk. III, ch. 11)

"Josephus, at least, has not hesitated to testify this in his writings, where he says, 'These things happened to the Jews to avenge James the Just, who was a brother of Jesus, that is called the Christ.'" (Bk. II, ch. 23)

"[...] the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James" (Flavius Josephus [c. 37-100 CE], Antiquitates Iudaicae, Bk. XX, ch. 9)

"[...] James the Just bishop of Jerusalem" and "[...] but there were two Jameses: one called the Just [...] thrown from the pinnacle of the temple [...] and beaten to death with a club by a fuller, and another who was beheaded." (Bk. II, ch. 1) (Clement of Alexandria [c. 150–215 AD], Hypotyposes, Bk. VII, cf. Ac. 12:1-2)

"[...] James the brother of the Lord, succeeded to the government of the Church [...] called the Just [...]" (Bk. II, ch. 23) and "after James the Just had suffered martyrdom ... Symeon [Simon], the son of the Lord's uncle, Clopas, was appointed the next bishop ... because he was a cousin of the Lord." (Bk. III, ch. 22) (Hegesippus [c. 110-180 AD], Hypomnemata)

Summary
The scriptural verses and crossover agreement between all my sources, even if not every surname is listed by each individual source, collectively proves the following:
  • Joseph, Simon, James, and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) in Matt. 13:55/Mk.6:3 were the sons of Jesus's uncle, Alphaeus (Clopas/Cleophas), and his wife Mary of Clopas (Cleophas/Alphaeus), and thus His kinsmen/relatives, specifically cousins​

• James and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) in Matt. 13:55/Mk.6:3 were the apostles James and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) of Alphaeus (Clopas/Cleophas) of the Twelve​

• James in Matt. 13:55/Mk.6:3 was also "James the Less" (Mk. 15:40), "James the brother of the Lord" (Gal. 1:19), "James the Just," "James the bishop of Jerusalem" (Ac. 15:13-21), and "James the author of the Epistle of James" (Jas. 1)​
[Note: This in and of itself does not prove that Mary of Joseph was a perpetual Virgin.]​

Part II

Below I address other scriptural verses believed to support that Joseph and Mary had other children.

Matt. 1:25

In preceding verses 20-24, Matthew speaks about the ways in which the long-awaited messianic prophecy has come to fruition, such as Joseph accepting as his Spouse the Virgin Who will conceive and give birth to a Son. In verse 25, he reiterates and reinforces this by referring to a specific period: pre-birth of the Messiah, a period of known chastity between Joseph and Mary that would dispel any belief that He was not begotten by the Holy Spirit, nor born of the virgin. [Note: This in and of itself does not indicate whether Joseph and Mary did have or didn't have a carnal married life, or children, post- birth of the Messiah.]

Jn. 2:12

In this scene, Jesus's brothers were two of His four cousins, James and Judas (Jude/Thaddeus) of Alphaeus, and His disciples were Peter and Andrew, who later became two of His twelve elected apostles, and they accompanied Him and His Mother to Capernaum. Certain details aren't from any of the accounts of the Four Evangelists, as they are incomplete, but rather from The Gospel as Revealed to Me, or The Poem of the Man-God, an expansion of the four Gospels of Christ by Jesus through His spokesperson, Maria Valtorta. (The Poem of the Man-God: Vol. I)

Matt. 12:46, Mk. 3:31-32, Lk. 8:19-20

In this scene, Jesus's brothers who arrived with His Mother to speak with Him at Capernaum were two of His four cousins, Joseph and Simon of Alphaeus. Joseph and Simon heard that Jesus had recently done carpentry work in Korazim for a widow whose husband had died, and they were angry at Him for earning money for her and her children, but not His own Mother, and were there to confront Him about it, but Jesus set them straight. Certain details aren't from any of the accounts of the Four Evangelists, as they are incomplete, but rather from The Gospel as Revealed to Me, or The Poem of the Man-God, an expansion of the four Gospels of Christ by Jesus through His spokesperson, Maria Valtorta. (The Poem of the Man-God: Vol. II)

Jn. 7:3-5;10

In this scene, Jesus's brothers were two of His four cousins, Joseph and Simon of Alphaeus, who didn't believe Jesus was the Messiah, though they later came to believe this. Certain details aren't from any of the accounts of the Four Evangelists, as they are incomplete, but rather from The Gospel as Revealed to Me, or The Poem of the Man-God, an expansion of the four Gospels of Christ by Jesus through His spokesperson, Maria Valtorta. (The Poem of the Man-God: Vol. IV)

Ac. 1:14

In this scene, Jesus's brothers were disciples, some of whom were the shepherds that visited Him the night of His birth. Certain details aren't from any of the accounts of the Four Evangelists, as they are incomplete, but rather from The Gospel as Revealed to Me, or The Poem of the Man-God, an expansion of the four Gospels of Christ by Jesus through His spokesperson, Maria Valtorta. (The Poem of the Man-God: Vol. V)

1 Cor. 9:5

In this scene, Jesus's brothers were the apostles James and Judas of Alphaeus, who were also His cousins. [Note: It's not a problem that they were mentioned separately from the rest of the apostles, because in the same verse Cephas (Peter) was also mentioned separately from the rest of the apostles, though he was still one of the apostles.]​

Last edited:
Jesus's brothers were not among his disciples:

Joh 7:3 So his brothers said to him, “Leave here and go to Judea, that your disciples also may see the works you are doing.
Joh 7:4 For no one works in secret if he seeks to be known openly. If you do these things, show yourself to the world.”
Joh 7:5 For not even his brothers believed in him. (ESV)

It wasn't until some point after his resurrection that his family believed in him:

Act 1:14 All these with one accord were devoting themselves to prayer, together with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and his brothers. (ESV)

Mat 13:53 And when Jesus had finished these parables, he went away from there,
Mat 13:54 and coming to his hometown he taught them in their synagogue, so that they were astonished, and said, “Where did this man get this wisdom and these mighty works?
Mat 13:55 Is not this the carpenter's son? Is not his mother called Mary? And are not his brothers James and Joseph and Simon and Judas?
Mat 13:56 And are not all his sisters with us? Where then did this man get all these things?”
Mat 13:57 And they took offense at him. But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his hometown and in his own household.” (ESV)

The context strongly suggests that Jesus's brothers and sisters were most likely his half-siblings, being the offspring of Joseph and Mary. There is simply no reason to believe otherwise.

Refer back to the opening post and post #2.

Refer back to the opening post and post #2.
I read them and my point stands. However, this thread has now been moved to the Catholicism forum and I cannot discuss in here. So, this is where I step out.

I read them and my point stands. However, this thread has now been moved to the Catholicism forum and I cannot discuss in here. So, this is where I step out.

I've shown that your point doesn't stand, but thank you for the reply. It's unfortunate you can't continue engaging in this thread.

Luke 1:26-38 Gabriel announces to Mary that of Christ's birth through her as she found favor in God. This all came about before her and Joseph were married so Joseph was not the biological father of Jesus.

Mark 6:3 Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.

Notice in this verse that only Mary is mentioned as normally people would say the son of Joseph and Mary. Jesus had four half brothers, James, Joses, Juda and Simon and some sisters, but it's not known how many sisters he had or what their names were. The reason they were all half brothers and sisters is because Joseph was not the biological father of Jesus.

Mary's descent comes through David's son Nathan, Luke 3:31. To fulfill God's promise to establish David's throne forever, God honored Nathan by making him the ancestor of the promised King (Messiah) who would sit on David's throne throughout eternity, Luke 1:31-33. Mary having no brothers to inherit the throne the inheritance would come to her first son being Jesus.

This is why God found favor only in Mary as still being a virgin before she married. Joseph descent from David was broken in being heir to the throne of David as one of his ancestors named Jeconiah (Coniah) was so evil God cursed him and his descendants from ever sitting on the throne of David, Matthew 1:11, 12; Jeremiah 22:24-30; 1 Chronicles 3:17. This doesn't mean that Joseph was evil, but means none of his children could ever sit on the throne of David.

Need to add this.

Nowhere in scripture does it mention that the half brothers of Jesus were ever called by Him to be a part of the twelve disciples, even though they had the same names of some of the disciples. John 7:2-4 says that His half brothers did not believe in Him as they rejected His public ministry and criticized Him refusing to follow Him. Jesus said, a prophet is not without honor, except in his own hometown and among his relatives and in his own household. It wasn't until Jesus ascension that his half brothers were found in the upper room with the 12 disciples and his mother Mary, Acts 1:14.

Last edited:
Notice in this verse that only Mary is mentioned as normally people would say the son of Joseph and Mary. Jesus had four half brothers, James, Joses, Juda and Simon

According to that logic, Joseph was Jesus's biological father since he was the only that Jesus was called the son of, and yet there's evidence that shows he wasn't, just as there's evidence that Jesus's four brothers weren't the sons Joseph and Mary.

John 7:2-4 says that His half brothers did not believe in Him as they rejected His public ministry and criticized Him refusing to follow Him.

Refer to Jn. 7:3-5;10 back in post #2.

It wasn't until Jesus ascension that his half brothers were found in the upper room with the 12 disciples and his mother Mary, Acts 1:14.

Refer to Ac. 1:14 back in post #2.

Jesus said, a prophet is not without honor, except in his own hometown and among his relatives and in his own household.

The Koine Greek word "συγγενής" (pl. syngenes) means "kindred, akin; kinsman, kinswoman, relative," and thus doesn't only refer to the immediate family. And, the Koine Greek word "οἰκία" (sing. oikia) can mean many things, but considering the context, it's definitions "a house, dwelling, household, or family" applies.

Back