Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study John 15:1-5

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

SueL637

During my Bible study I often like to compare several versions when I feel stuck on a certain verse. Which is what happened in this case, with John 15:2 In the NIV it says, "He cuts off" which in Greek translates to airo, which means to raise up or elevate.(confused about this) But in many other version it states "He taketh away" instead of "cuts off". I see taking away and cutting off as two different things. Also in this 2nd verse Jesus says, "every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit."

So my question is what do others say about this verse as far as the "cuts off" and the "prunes".

I see the pruning as a discipline. However I remain undecided about how we are to be cut off or taken away.:chin

Have a blessed day!

During my Bible study I often like to compare several versions when I feel stuck on a certain verse. Which is what happened in this case, with John 15:2 In the NIV it says, "He cuts off" which in Greek translates to airo, which means to raise up or elevate.(confused about this) But in many other version it states "He taketh away" instead of "cuts off". I see taking away and cutting off as two different things. Also in this 2nd verse Jesus says, "every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit."

So my question is what do others say about this verse as far as the "cuts off" and the "prunes".

I see the pruning as a discipline. However I remain undecided about how we are to be cut off or taken away.:chin

Have a blessed day!

Sue:

Hi there. John 15 is about the purging of the vine so that it can bear more fruit, and so it is necessary to abide in the vine in order to continue to be fruitful. Philippians is about 'the fellowship of His sufferings'; we have to go through a purging, refining, process which may involve hardship in one way or another, as we seek to be faithful servants of the Lord Jesus, but the encouraging thing is that, since by one's fruits one is known, we may be sure of our life in the vine, in Whom we abide.

Blessings.

Hi Farouk. :wave Thank you for your response.

If bearing fruit is Galatians 5:22-23, and Matthew 7:19 says we shall be cast into the fire, I remain a bit confused. The Spirit abides in me but being human I sin. I am not always bearing good fruit. I am not always patient or gentle for example. Paul tells us in Ephesians 2:8-9 that were are saved by grace not of works. So here is my conundrum. I am saved but not always bearing good fruit. But isn't bearing good fruit "works"? Or am I just getting this all muddled up? :help

Hi Sue, I think you are a bit muddled up.
What you are speaking of is sanctification.
It is a term used to describe being holy or progressing to holiness.
Thus, we are a work in progress.
We are made holy through Christ when we are saved.
This is justification.
As the apostle Paul says in Philippians 2:12, we are to work out our salvation.
This is our daily walk with Christ.
We become holier and begin to bear fruit.
This is sanctification.
Then with our salvation we are promised a new body forever with Christ.
This is our glorification.
All that I've just said is a major Bible study but that's it in a nutshell.
Read 2 Timothy 4:6-8.
Be strong, walk with Jesus, don't look back!

Hi allenwynne! Small world, I live only about and hour and and a half from you.

Thank you so much for your response. I'm learning more everyday and enjoying it! Praise God!

Any connection to circumcision? the foreskin is lifted to be pruned....:shrug

reba: I hadn't linked...what you suggested...to John 15, to be honest.

Is your suggestion really the standard AoG interpretation? (You did say AoG, right?)

Blessings.

Hi Farouk. :wave Thank you for your response.

If bearing fruit is Galatians 5:22-23, and Matthew 7:19 says we shall be cast into the fire, I remain a bit confused. The Spirit abides in me but being human I sin. I am not always bearing good fruit. I am not always patient or gentle for example. Paul tells us in Ephesians 2:8-9 that were are saved by grace not of works. So here is my conundrum. I am saved but not always bearing good fruit. But isn't bearing good fruit "works"? Or am I just getting this all muddled up? :help

SueL:

Ephesians 2.9 says that the believer's salvation is 'not of works, lest any man should boast.'

The very next verse says that believer are 'His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them' (Ephesians 2.10).

It's a question of heart motive.

Blessings.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back