Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study John chapter 14-15 verse by verse. Jesus' garden discourse to the Apostles

John chapters 14 thru 17 is perhaps the longest discourse by Jesus to the Apostles in the NT.
Chapts 15-17 occurs after the last supper [and when Judas left it to betray Jesus.] and is spoken in the garden of Gethsemane, located at the Mount of Olives.
I welcome all comments and views concerning this Garden event and even corrections if any.
Thank you and Blessings
========================================

Jesus Predicts His Betrayal
(Psalm 41:1-13; Matthew 26:17-25; Mark 14:12-21; Luke 22:7-13)
Jesus Prays at Gethsemane
(Mark 14:32-42; Luke 22:39-46)

John 13:
It was now just before the Passover Feast, and Jesus knew that His hour had come to leave this world and return to the Father. Having loved His own who were in the world, He loved them to the very end.a 2 The evening meal was underway, and the devil had already put into the heart of Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, to betray Jesus.
31But I do exactly what the Father has commanded Me, so that the world may know that I love the Father. Get up! Let us go on from here.

Matthew 26:36 At that time Jesus went with His disciples to a place called Gethsemane, and He told them, “Sit here while I go over there and pray.”
Mark 14:32 Then they came to a place called Gethsemane, and Jesus told His disciples, “Sit here while I pray.”
Luke 22:39 Jesus went out as usual to the Mount of Olives, and the disciples followed Him. 40 When He came to the place, He told them, “Pray that you will not enter into temptation.”
===============================
Before I start, I looked for a good article describing the garden Jesus spoke his discourse. I found this rather good one, but if others want to share one, that is ok.
I will only post the first portion of it because of it's length. The link to it is below.

The garden at Gethsemane, a place whose name literally means “oil press,” is located on a slope of the Mount of Olives just across the Kidron Valley from Jerusalem. A garden of ancient olive trees stands there to this day. Jesus frequently went to Gethsemane with His disciples to pray (John 18:2). The most famous events at Gethsemane occurred on the night before His crucifixion when Jesus was betrayed. Each of the Gospel writers describes the events of that night with slight variations, so reading the four accounts (Matthew 26:36-56, Mark 14:32-52, Luke 22:40-53 and John 18:1-11) will give an accurate picture of that momentous night in its entirety.

As the evening began, after Jesus and His disciples had celebrated the Passover, they came to the garden. At some point, Jesus took three of them—Peter, James and John— to a place separated from the rest. Here Jesus asked them to watch with Him and pray so they would not fall into temptation (Matthew 26:41), but they fell asleep...................................................

Following the Passover meal and the Lord’s Supper, Jesus now shares 24 promises with his apostles in the Upper Room Discourse concerning the days to come. He then prays for Himself, His disciples and all believers who follow. Jesus then enters the Garden of Gethsemane to pray for strength and consecration in order to face His spiritual separation from the Father on the cross.
=================================
http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MhsVo12baI

A map showing the location of the garden east of Jerusalem.

1599011761968.png
===============================
My next post will be the start of Chapter 14

Please feel free to comment or add thoughts to this verse.
For now I would like to focus on this verse and any verses relevant to it.

Thank you.

............................................................JOHN 14:1......................................

Jesus Comforts the Disciples

John 14
:
1 ‘No let be being troubled<5015> the heart of ye. Be ye believing! into the God and into Me be ye believing!

5015. tarasso tar-as'-so of uncertain affinity; tropically, "to cause one inward commotion, take away his calmness of mind, disturb his equanimity; to disquiet, make restless" (the Sept. for בִּהֵל, etc.; passive, ταράσσομαι for רָגַז, to be stirred up, irritated);
...........occurs 17 times in 17 verses

Occurs 12 times in the Gospels [7 times in John]

Luk 24:38 And he said unto them, 'Why are ye troubled? G5015 and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?"

Last verse used in Peter 3.

1 Peter 1:1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the choice sojourners of :the dispersion of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia
1Pe 3:14 but if ye also should suffer because of righteousness, happy are ye! and of their fear be not afraid, nor be troubled,
Jas 1:1 James, of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ a servant, to the Twelve Tribes who are in the dispersion: Hail!

Peter and James were addressing the 11 Apostles of the dispersion, whom I believe represented the 2 nations Nations of Israel and Nation of Judah. Both were divorced by Yahweh in the Ot [Jeremiah 3:8]. Only the remnant of the house of Judah[including the Levites] remained to rebuild Solomon's Temple [later to be called Herod's Temple],in Judea and Jerusalem.
=======================================
A few commentaries on vs 1:

EXEGETICAL (ORIGINAL LANGUAGES)

Pulpit Commentary
John 14:1
Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

Verse 1. - It is not necessary to follow Codex D and some of the versions, and here introduce into the text καὶ εϊπεν τοῖς μαθηταῖς αὐτοῦ. It is enough that the awful warning to Peter, which followed the announcement of the treachery of Judas and his departure, the solemnity of the Lord, and the clear announcement of his approaching death, had fallen like a thunderbolt into their company. Judas held the bag, and was their treasurer, their ἐπίσκοπος (see Hatch's 'Bampt. Lect.'), and a referee on all practical subjects and details. He had turned against the Lord; and now their spokesman, their rock of strength, their most prominent and their boldest brother, the senior of the group, and with one exception the disciple most beloved and trusted by the Master, was actually warned against the most deadly sin - nay, more, a course of conduct is predicted of him enough to scatter them all to the four winds. Is it possible to exaggerate the consternation and distraction, the shrieks of fear, the bitter sobs of reckless grief that convulsed the upper chamber..............................

The Vulgate and Authorized Version and Revised Version make the second only of the πιστεύετε imperative, and consequently read, "Ye believe in God, believe also in me," which, in the revelation they had just given of their wretchedness and lack of adequate courage and faithfulness, was almost more than the Lord, in the deep and comprehensive sense in which he was using the word "God," would have attributed to them. The different order of the words in the Greek, bringing the two clauses, "in God" and "in me," together, gives potency to the argument of the verse, which is that of the entire Gospel.
==============================

Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges
1. Let not your heart be troubled] There had been much to cause anxiety and alarm; the denouncing of the traitor, the declaration of Christ’s approaching departure, the prediction of S. Peter’s denial. The last as being nearest might seem to be specially indicated; but what follows shews that ‘let not your heart be troubled’ refers primarily to ‘whither I go, ye cannot come’ (John 13:33).

ye believe in God, believe also] The Greek for ‘ye believe’ and ‘believe’ is the same, and there is nothing to indicate that one is indicative and the other imperative. Both may be indicative; but probably both are imperative: believe in God, and believe in Me; or perhaps, trust in God, and trust in Me. It implies the belief which moves towards and reposes on its object (see last note on John 1:12). In any case a genuine belief in God leads to a belief in His Son.

[138] Luther’s exposition of chap. 14, 15, 16 belongs to the year 1538. He terms these discourses “the best and most consoling sermons that the Lord Christ delivered on earth,” and “a treasure and jewel, not to be purchased with the world’s goods.”—Luther’s book (which originated in sermons, which Casp. Cruciger took down) is among his most spirited and lively writings. How highly he himself esteemed it, see in Matthesius, eilfte Pred. (ed. Nürnb. 1592, p. 119a)...................
=========================

GodIsMySavior

I know your enthusiasm in wanting to share the word of God for which I applaud you for, but lengthy post usually do not get read very often. It would be better to just give the scriptures you want to discuss and give us your thoughts on them without using commentaries that others have written. This will make for a better discussion.

Without the use of this other persons commentary how do you understand these verses from your own perspective?

GodIsMySavior
I know your enthusiasm in wanting to share the word of God for which I applaud you for, but lengthy post usually do not get read very often. It would be better to just give the scriptures you want to discuss and give us your thoughts on them without using commentaries that others have written. This will make for a better discussion.
Hello fhg......I will work on that, and try to shorten my posts, [which can be difficult for such a Divine book from Heaven as the Bible, where every Word is "God breathed"[.

I am not very good at articulating and commenting on the Scriptures. Most of them are pretty much self explanatory, as is much of this discourse of Jesus. [Tho not so much with the Olivet discourse and book of Revelation concerning the "end times, which have a lot of OT Hebrew symbolism, and where looking at the Greek, Interlinears, lexicons/concordances and different Bible versions is practically an imperative, imho]. Some of them can write a whole page just on 1 verse!].
Preston Eby comes to mind [his exegetical commentary on the Book of Revelation is one of the most extensive I have seen]
=========

His exegetical commentary on Melchizedek and Royal Priesthood is also extensive:

THE MELCHIZEDEK CONNECTION
==================
I found that a lot of Christians do read commentaries [easier now with the advent of the internet....Daniel 12:4], as well as sermons from Pastors, Ministers, Priests, Rabbis[ Jewish Christians], etc. at their respective church/synagoge. [for example, there are multitudes of views within those concerning the "end times"...Daniel, Olivet Discourse and Revelation for instance]

For ultra deep study, I prefer reading from a good Hebrew/Greek interlinear which use both a Strong's Lexicon and Concordance, where the correct tenses and usage of words are shown, which can be very important to interpretation of more difficult verses in God's Word, and I particular like to look at more exegetical commentators that are well versed in the Gr/Heb languages [which, sadly, I am not, at least yet] .

This one Interlinear I particularly like and recommend it to those who want to advance to even deeper study of the Word.
It translates every Gk/Heb word. [it is a simple download, and you can view a screenshot of it at the site]. I have been using it for almost a decade now and have it up 24/7.

Introduction
The Christian faith is founded on documentary evidence. It has pleased God to give us His revelation in languages not our own. The Old Testament was originally written in Hebrew, with part of it composed in Chaldee. The New Testament was written in Greek.
The ISA program is designed for examination of the manuscripts in the original language. The entire Hebrew and Greek text has been transferred to consistent etymological and idiomatic English equivalents.
=====================

With that said, I have decided to just discontinue this thread......and put it in my own private Bible study folder.............
Blessings

Attachments

• ISA JOHN 12_41..bmp
    41.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
You might want to make a new thread and title it The Garden of Gethsemane as that is a much needed topic you could start and like you said, just keep this in your private files to use wen needed or just leave it here as maybe others will glean something from it.

I have hundreds of Biblical articles I have written over the past forty years and two books with the first one that has many Bible study topics and the second one on the book of Revelations as Revelations is my greatest passion. I never had them published, but do share my writings in the forums.

Some advice I got from the staff when I first became a member, as I gave long post, was to give a short version of the topic I wanted to share and discuss and when the discussions increased as others joined into the discussions I could then present more, but in small doses as needed.

It's like the Passover and the betrayal in the garden of Gethsemane and Jesus being arrested and brought before the council as I believe this is what you wanted the topic to be about, unless I'm wrong. But you are, or I should say the commentary you are using, many of those scriptures have nothing to do with this topic. All you would need is to start with something like Luke Chapter 22 that goes into greater detail of everything from the Passover meal up to Jesus being brought to the council. Instead of trying to teach 14 chapters in John all at once, Luke 22 gives the full account. This way it gives others a chance to discuss by using other scriptures that they have learnt from for this topic as they all share scripture.

Not saying this is a bad study by Preston Eby as I never read anything by him, but did go and read his bio. But, we have to be careful using certain commentaries as you need to make sure what is being said lines up with the full context of scripture. It's better to study for yourself praying and asking the Holy Spirit to teach you as there are many false teachings out there, 1 John 2:18-27.

I hope this helps you when you start a topic for discussions. :)

Back