Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Judgment Day is Part of the Gospel Message

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
J

Jay T

Revelation 14:6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,
14:7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

As seen from this Bible verse above....one can see that both the 7th day sabbath, and the Judgment are part of the Gospel message.

Yes, exactly why do we say the “gospel†of Matthew and the “gospel†of Mark, Luke and John if the gospel is only a few facts about his death, burial and resurrection?

Jay T said:
Revelation 14:6 And I saw another angel fly in the midst of heaven, having the everlasting gospel to preach unto them that dwell on the earth, and to every nation, and kindred, and tongue, and people,
14:7 Saying with a loud voice, Fear God, and give glory to him; for the hour of his judgment is come: and worship him that made heaven, and earth, and the sea, and the fountains of waters.

As seen from this Bible verse above....one can see that both the 7th day sabbath, and the Judgment are part of the Gospel message.

What! . . . ?

mutzrein said:
Jay T said:

What! . . . ?

I think the OP confuses the Bible command - to 'preach & teach the whole counsel of God' - with the glorious good news gospel that sinners are saved by the sheer grace of God, thru faith in the once-for-all sacrifice of Christ on the cross, as in John 3, Romans 3, Galatians 2:15-16 & Ephesians 2:8-9

The way of salvation is purposely simple, so even children can grasp it & pass it on

Ian

MrVersatile48 wrote:
I think the OP confuses the Bible command - to 'preach & teach the whole counsel of God' - with the glorious good news gospel that sinners are saved by the sheer grace of God, thru faith in the once-for-all sacrifice of Christ on the cross, as in John 3, Romans 3, Galatians 2:15-16 & Ephesians 2:8-9

The way of salvation is purposely simple, so even children can grasp it & pass it on

Exactly. When you say to a child who just pinched the slop out of another child’s arm, “Is that love one another? How would you like it if they did that to you? â€Â, you are teaching them to walk by Jesus’ teaching to treat others as you would want them to treat you. When you tell the pinched child to forgive the pincher, it is the ‘turn the other cheek’ and the ‘forgive as you have been forgiven by God’ lessons. No rocket science here. The common people received his word gladly.

Why does everyone stop with 8 and 9 of Ephesians 2? Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. Seems like a lot of people are suffering from ‘works’ fear. Titus 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. Hebrews 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works.

Here are the works to fear: the works of the flesh, not to be confused with good works done by our human bodies in Christian love and the works of the law, not to be confused with doing the commands of Christ when working out our salvation.

The works of the flesh are clearly defined for us: Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

The works of the law are doing rituals of any kind and thinking it is the ritual that has merit before God. It is the heart that God looks at. He’s not interested in your sacrificial giving or good deeds if your heart is doing it for praise and selfish pride and not out of love for God and your neighbor. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us, but he doesn’t want to hear us mouthing prayers and making a confession for some sin while we are harboring desires to do it again. It is only if we walk in the light of God’s love and holiness, that the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all unrighteousness and confession is made unto salvation.

unred typo said:
Yes, exactly why do we say the “gospel†of Matthew and the “gospel†of Mark, Luke and John if the gospel is only a few facts about his death, burial and resurrection?
The Gospel message started.....as soon as Adam & Eve committed sin, in the Garden of Eden.

The Gospel is presented throughout the Old Testament, and continuing in the NT

MrVersatile48 said:
mutzrein said:
Jay T said:

What! . . . ?

Ian
Still looking for your reply.
When you say to a child who just pinched the slop out of another child’s arm, “Is that love one another? How would you like it if they did that to you? â€Â, you are teaching them to walk by Jesus’ teaching to treat others as you would want them to treat you. When you tell the pinched child to forgive the pincher, it is the ‘turn the other cheek’ and the ‘forgive as you have been forgiven by God’ lessons. No rocket science here. The common people received his word gladly.

Why does everyone stop with 8 and 9 of Ephesians 2? Ephesians 2:10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. Seems like a lot of people are suffering from ‘works’ fear. Titus 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. Hebrews 10:24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works.

Here are the works to fear: the works of the flesh, not to be confused with good works done by our human bodies in Christian love and the works of the law, not to be confused with doing the commands of Christ when working out our salvation.

The works of the flesh are clearly defined for us: Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

The works of the law are doing rituals of any kind and thinking it is the ritual that has merit before God. It is the heart that God looks at. He’s not interested in your sacrificial giving or good deeds if your heart is doing it for praise and selfish pride and not out of love for God and your neighbor. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us, but he doesn’t want to hear us mouthing prayers and making a confession for some sin while we are harboring desires to do it again. It is only if we walk in the light of God’s love and holiness, that the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all unrighteousness and confession is made unto salvation.

unred typo said:
[
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us, but he doesn’t want to hear us mouthing prayers and making a confession for some sin while we are harboring desires to do it again. It is only if we walk in the light of God’s love and holiness, that the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all unrighteousness and confession is made unto salvation.[/b]
The key word here is....
IF...we confess our sins.
The great danger that faces the average Christian, is the lack of knowledge, as to what constitutes sin !

How few understand that Sunday worship services is.....SIN !

Jay T said:
[quote="unred typo":biggrin891f][
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us, but he doesn’t want to hear us mouthing prayers and making a confession for some sin while we are harboring desires to do it again. It is only if we walk in the light of God’s love and holiness, that the blood of Jesus cleanses us from all unrighteousness and confession is made unto salvation.[/b]
The key word here is....
IF...we confess our sins.
The great danger that faces the average Christian, is the lack of knowledge, as to what constitutes sin !

How few understand that Sunday worship services is.....SIN ![/quote:biggrin891f]

O darn. So the fact that the Spirit of God that rules and reigns in the hearts of men and women who meet to have fellowship together and to worship God (on a sunday) and to thank him for his faithfulness, for His many mercies, for His wondrous grace and even for the gift of life that He has bestowed on his grateful children . . . is all to no avail?

Obviously not few enough. :wink:

God said the seventh day was to be a day of rest. He didn't say, "thou shalt not worship on Sunday." Worship every day if you want as long as you get your work done on the first six.

unred typo said:

Obviously not few enough. :wink:

God said the seventh day was to be a day of rest. He didn't say, "thou shalt not worship on Sunday." Worship every day if you want as long as you get your work done on the first six.
Let me refresh your memory on the Gospel commission which Jesus Christ gave......
Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you..."

Alright....when did Jesus ever teach anyone, to observe Sunday, in honor of His reusrrection ?

Jay wrote:How few understand that Sunday worship services is.....SIN !
Let me refresh your memory on the Gospel commission which Jesus Christ gave......
Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you..."
Alright....when did Jesus ever teach anyone, to observe Sunday, in honor of His reusrrection ?

You know what, Jay? I think you’re right. Jesus never taught us to wash our hands either. Your mother was wrong to stress that. How dare she? :): Jesus taught foot washing. I believe Jesus even preached against hand washing, didn’t he? Why don’t you start another thread about that? Look at all the restaurant employees you could set free from the evils of hand washing. :wink: What blasphemy to teach washing hands instead of feet! ….Kidding. Just making a point about your post. Jesus actually preached against making rituals more important than love.

Think about it. The Bible says God set aside the seventh day and hallowed it as a day of rest in the beginning of creation. It’s a good thing to prevent people from overworking themselves and those who work for them. For the Israelites, he made it a Sabbath rest to set them apart from other nations and then the lawyers turned it into an inth degree nightmare. Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees who put the letter of the law above the spirit of the law.

As long as you aren’t idle and spending the whole week lazing around and neglecting honest work to provide for your family and those in need, worship as you feel you want to and don‘t judge and condemn other servants of the Lord who esteem every day alike. God is their judge. He didn’t say you couldn’t worship every or any day if you wanted. Just take the seventh day, Saturday, as a day of rest in love and respect to him who created you and knows your needs.

You don’t necessarily even have to go to church on that day. (For some people, church IS work. LOL.) Just kick back and reflect on all the blessings of God you had all week, his greatness and mercy, and do something good for others, like visit some poor soul locked in a nursing home or give a shut-in a ride to somewhere pleasant. Do something for others instead of yourself and I‘m sure God would smile.

Since your topic is “Judgment Day is Part of the Gospel Message†I think it would be a good place to remind people of how Jesus separated the goats from the sheep in Matthew 25:31. They were judged by their compassion and not their works of the law.

It's hard to think in the noise & breathless heat of this busy library, so I'm just praying God's help to make things clear & simple

Jay seems to talk of a legalistic mandate to keep all God's laws as a way to earn salvation

The thrust of the Bible, as Paul ably summed it up, is that 'the law is a schoolmaster to lead us to Christ' - Romans 3 especially emphasises that 'all have sinned & fall short'

It also emphasises that salvation is a free gift, by God's grace, thru faith in Christ's atoning sacrifice

Our seeking to obey God's laws, & to serve Christ, is out of love & gratitude: earning salvation is impossible - 'all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags in God's sight'

Yes, as the thread title says, it is vital that all of us realise that we are sinners, facing the wrath & judgment of a holy, righteous God who is also just & thus can't overlook sin - so that we know our need to repent & to be saved

But Christ bore the punishment for the sins of the world, as John the Baptist said when He came to be baptised

He is the Saviour: not our own fruitless efforts

It is only 'when we see Him, we shall be like Him'

Meanwhile, 'anyone who says that he has no sin deceives himself & the truth is not in him'

As to Sunday worship, Jesus did say, when He promised to send the Holy Spirit of God into the hears of all who love Him, "I have other things to teach you, but you cannot bear them now - but when the Spirit comes, He will lead you into all truth"

He said that His followers would be put out of the synagogues

Both Acts & Epistles urge the celebration of the Resurrection on the 1st day of the week: Sunday

"On the 1st day of the week, when they were all together.." - is that Acts 2?

Jesus did say, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath"
As someone posted, the sabbath was commanded as a day of rest, to remind us that 'God made the world in 6 days, then rested...'

Must go!

Mr Versatile48 wrote: It also emphasises that salvation is a free gift, by God's grace, thru faith in Christ's atoning sacrifice

Yes. There was no way we could pay for our sin with any amount of silver, gold, good deeds or blood, sweat and tears. A perfect man had to die to pay the price of sin. He was the perfect sacrifice that we couldn’t give or deserve or earn. God gave himself for us, amazing love, grace and mercy! That was God’s finished work on the cross.

Now for our works. How shall we escape death if we neglect so great salvation? The works we do are not just works of gratitude and works for rewards. They are works of faith that we must do in order to be IN Christ. What works are they? Not memorizing verses or attending church or saying a prayer admitting that you are a sinner and need a savior, although all those things are nice, I suppose. We must accept not just the gift of Jesus’ blood to cover our sins but we must accept his word; his teaching that tells us how to be saved and born of the Spirit and do what he says to do in order to be saved. Those who abide in love, abide in Christ and the Spirit abides in them. Only those who have the spirit have life, period. Either you belong to God or to Satan… you are a slave of him whom you choose to serve. You are bought with a price, therefore, glorify God by obeying his Son who died for you. But don’t think you can brag about saving yourself because you are just an unprofitable servant, doing what you’re told to do. It is by God’s mercy that you can be forgiven at all.

Mr Versatile48 wrote: Both Acts & Epistles urge the celebration of the Resurrection on the 1st day of the week: Sunday …."On the 1st day of the week, when they were all together.." - is that Acts 2?

I think you’re somewhere else. Left field maybe. :wink: Do they still have Bibles in libraries these evil days? Looks like you’re gonna hafto crack that Bible binding a bit.

Mr Versatile48 wrote: Our seeking to obey God's laws, & to serve Christ, is out of love & gratitude: earning salvation is impossible - 'all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags in God's sight'

Ewww…I just have to deal with my pet peeve. Would you please go to into Isaiah and read chapter 1 and then go to 64 and read that whole passage so you can quit using verse 6 out of context? Grief. Right in verse 5 it says that God meets with those who work righteousness. How anyone who claims to be a Bible believer can take that passage to mean God has no use for the righteous deeds of any person in the world throughout history, is beyond me. No wonder God refers to his people as sheep. Bahh baahhh duhhh…

MrVersatile48 said:
It's hard to think in the noise & breathless heat of this busy library, so I'm just praying God's help to make things clear & simple
Jay seems to talk of a legalistic mandate to keep all God's laws as a way to earn salvation
Jesus Christ's very own words:
"IF..you love me, keep my commandments", (John 14:14).

1 John 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

[quote:9ac8f]
The thrust of the Bible, as Paul ably summed it up, is that 'the law is a schoolmaster to lead us to Christ' - Romans 3 especially emphasises that 'all have sinned & fall short'
Paul also said this......
Romans 2:13 (For not the hearers of the law [are] just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

Romans 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

QUESTION: Does Paul contradict himself....or, can we find a balance of everything he said ?
It also emphasises that salvation is a free gift, by God's grace, thru faith in Christ's atoning sacrifice

Matthew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
QUESTION: Did Jesus 'save' His people 'from' their sins....or, are they at liberty to keep right on committing sin, like lying, staeling, ect. ?
Our seeking to obey God's laws, & to serve Christ, is out of love & gratitude: earning salvation is impossible - 'all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags in God's sight'
1 John 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Romans 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness ?

Yes, as the thread title says, it is vital that all of us realise that we are sinners, facing the wrath & judgment of a holy, righteous God who is also just & thus can't overlook sin - so that we know our need to repent & to be saved
Psalms 19:7 The law of the LORD [is] perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD [is] sure, making wise the simple.
But Christ bore the punishment for the sins of the world, as John the Baptist said when He came to be baptised

Meanwhile, 'anyone who says that he has no sin deceives himself & the truth is not in him'
And that is exactly what some are trying to do...say they have no sin, because they have gotten rid of the 10 commandments which says what sin is.....
1 John 3:4 "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law".
The Bible says: Romans 4:15 "....for where no law is, [there is] no transgression". Get rid of the Law, so their sin is not revealed !
As to Sunday worship, Jesus did say, when He promised to send the Holy Spirit of God into the hears of all who love Him, "I have other things to teach you, but you cannot bear them now - but when the Spirit comes, He will lead you into all truth"
That's a new one on me !
I've been in this game for a long, long, time and I've never heard that one before.

Sorry, but that does not wash !
The Holy Spirit is the one who inspried men to write the Bible, and the HS does NOT....go contrary against what the HS had men write in scripture !

In other words, if it is not written in the Bible, the HS never told anyone any difference !

Both Acts & Epistles urge the celebration of the Resurrection on the 1st day of the week: Sunday
One Sunday...out of the many, many times they kept the 7th day sabbath in the book of Acts ?!?

Yes He did says that.
And it is a very sad fact that God gave to man the gift of the sabbath...WHICH MAN REJECTS ?
As someone posted, the sabbath was commanded as a day of rest, to remind us that 'God made the world in 6 days, then rested...'
[/quote:9ac8f]Again...man rejects God's command.

MrVersatile48 said:
Jesus Christ's very own words:
"IF..you love me, keep my commandments", (John 14:14).

1 John 2:3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
2:4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

[quote:e797d]
Paul also said this......
Romans 2:13 (For not the hearers of the law [are] just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

Romans 3:31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

QUESTION: Does Paul contradict himself....or, can we find a balance of everything he said ?

Matthew 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
QUESTION: Did Jesus 'save' His people 'from' their sins....or, are they at liberty to keep right on committing sin, like lying, staeling, ect. ?
1 John 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Romans 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness ?

Psalms 19:7 The law of the LORD [is] perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD [is] sure, making wise the simple.

And that is exactly what some are trying to do...say they have no sin, because they have gotten rid of the 10 commandments which says what sin is.....
1 John 3:4 "Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law".
The Bible says: Romans 4:15 "....for where no law is, [there is] no transgression". Get rid of the Law, so their sin is not revealed !
That's a new one on me !
I've been in this game for a long, long, time and I've never heard that one before.

Sorry, but that does not wash !
The Holy Spirit is the one who inspried men to write the Bible, and the HS does NOT....go contrary against what the HS had men write in scripture !

In other words, if it is not written in the Bible, the HS never told anyone any difference !

One Sunday...out of the many, many times they kept the 7th day sabbath in the book of Acts ?!?

Yes He did says that.
And it is a very sad fact that God gave to man the gift of the sabbath...WHICH MAN REJECTS ?
[/quote:e797d]Again...man rejects God's command.

mutzrein said:
Jay T said:

What! . . . ?
Heh! That sparked your curiosity. 8-)

The word Gospel is traditionally seen as meaning Good News, but in it's literal sense, it means, "God's message or message about God".

Whether or not one believes worshipping on the seventh day or Judgement Day is part of the Gospel depends on how one interprets Scripture.

vic said:
mutzrein said:
Jay T said:

What! . . . ?

The word Gospel is traditionally seen as meaning Good News, but in it's literal sense, it means, "God's message or message about God".

Whether or not one believes worshipping on the seventh day or Judgement Day is part of the Gospel depends on how one interprets Scripture.

No, not curiosity - I just have a different understanding of the gospel.

mutzrein said:
vic said:
mutzrein said:
Jay T said:

What! . . . ?

No, not curiosity - I just have a different understanding of the gospel.

Perhaps everyone is leaving out the ETERNITY of the previous Word? It is then that ones see's that the Godheads Gospel is NOTHING NEW! :wink: Ecclesiastes 1:9-10 & Ecclesiastes 3:15, 'IF' one first believes IN THE Everlasting (part) of the Everlasting Gospel in the first place?

Don't get the question??? Well then, how old does the Godhead say that the Everlasting Gospel is???
---John

Back