Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

K-ny 2012 - a bad feeling about it?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Lloyd

Hey,

I was sent a link to this today but I have a bad feeling about it. I can't explain it but something inside me is telling me this isn't right.

Now, I'm not some conspiracy type of guy, but I dont like this. I'll support any good cause and I love children, so would help in anyway I can. This just doesn't sit well with me.

Has anyone else heard about it? What are your thoughts.

My faith in Christ is ALL that matters, and I know this seems a good cause but I will not let anything get in the way of that. I'm not letting God down. I can't even type the full name into the title, sorry, I don't want anything to do with it, but I would like some fellow Christian thoughts on this please.

Lloyd

I have NO clue what you are talking about. But being afraid to type out a complete title shows that your fear is greater than your faith. I find that troubling.

I'm with Mark...can't share a thought on the subject when I don't even know what it's about.

But, you're more than a conqueror... you should never be afraid to type something.

I just stumbled onto it on Facebook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc

KONY 2012 is about tracking down a horrible man who is apparently grabbing girls to force into sexual slavery and boys to force into service as killers.

I see no reason not to sign onto this crusade. There has to be a bullet for this guy, arrest is a waste of time - this guy should be taken out.

(Statements made in this post are not the opinions or positions of this forum, it's mods, admins or posters - they are my statements, and I stand by them.)

BOOM! Headshot...

The issue with this Kony character seems to be (from a very cursory glance at Wikipedia) that he does all this under the guise of Christianity. So the conclusion? Same old song and dance, nothing new here. Heck it isn't even new for crazy dictators in Africa to do this stuff. I bet there are a half dozen or more dictators in Africa JUST like him, and when that bullet finds his skull another guy will be in line to carry on his exact same game.

I have NO clue what you are talking about. But being afraid to type out a complete title shows that your fear is greater than your faith. I find that troubling.

Well, I guess thanks for your concerns, but it is not fear, but respect and honour for the Lord. I would ask then, are you ever afraid? Have you ever felt fear? We can all 'say' the things that 'ought' to be said, but our hearts don't lie and are unveiled before the Lord, so if you live completely without fear, then I commend you and praise God for you truly are a man of faith. How about the Pslams? How many of those are calling out to God for help? How many talk of enemies on all sides? Do you think there was fear in any of those writings?

Honesty and humbleness are things we should have as a breastplate. I lean not on myself, but on Christ, and my 'fear' has no bearing on Him, my 'weaknesses' have no bearing on Him, for all glory is His and He is my strength and He is all that matters.

In regards to crusade - of course the reasononing is pretty self explantory and man like this has to be stopped, however, I have a feeling there is also a hidden agenda behind it. What, I don't know.

Anyway, enough of the conspiracy talk from me. Just wanted to share it with everyone to understand your thoughts.

While the cause is just, the charity itself seems a little shifty. It seems they give away only about ~30% of their donations, and that goes to the Ugandan military. Compounded with the fact the Kony isn't even in Uganda (and hasn't been for the past 6 years) I would steer clear of this one. There are more worthwhile charities to give to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the KONY 2012 is a good idea and I see where they are going with it and how it COULD work....BUT I'm not participating because like someone else mentioned, where would my donations be going? Bringing awareness is one thing, but asking for donations is another. I don't see how wearing a KONY bracelet is going to do any more good than sharing the video or putting up posters would do. Not unless the money was being used as a reward for Kony's capture. People will go to extremes to get reward money.

If the entire world were to put up posters, bring awareness and expose all of these most wanted people, I bet lots of them WOULD be found. I think it's a great idea....kind of like America's Most Wanted. Look at all the criminals that have been captured because of being exposed on that show. Remember when Saddam became a daily part of the news? Almost everyone that wasn't part of his army (or whatever you want to call it) was always on the lookout for him. they wanted that reward money!

If you are concerned about it being a conspiracy of misinformation, it is not. Perhaps it is not fully informed as to the political & other nuances of the situation, but it is not a made-up situation. The LRA has been a known issue for years. Some experts are commenting on the video saying that they are glad at it raising awareness but that it does not show the true complexity of the political, military, and cultural situation. Nonetheless I think the awareness spread by the video is a good thing for those who don't know. Joseph Kony IS an international war criminal. Unfortunately he is only one of many. Most cases that the ICC in the Hague want to try are of African leaders. Anyway, I just posted a wordy facebook status about this, since it is going viral on facebook. I will provide a quote of it as-is below. Feel free to comment:

-------
"So, I finally watched the Kony 2012 video that's been making it's way around and I do think the campaign to raise awareness and action is a worthy one. I think to put a perspective on it, the following article which consults a journalist who wrote a book on the situation in Uganda in 2009 helps: http://tinyurl.com/7tsfws7. I'm no one to judge the video's content if I am not involved in the campaign though. Hollywood has made awareness-raising videos before like "Blood Diamond" and "The Last King of Scotland" (a true story of Uganda's former dictator Idi Amin) also.

I think the article above does hit on a transcending and practical message though: "One of their core messages is that all children deserve to be safe from harm, regardless of where they live." This is on the scale of importance of international human sex trafficking IMO, which is another huge issue. And activism may actually be one way to respond if you can dedicate yourself to it without reserve.

Notice also though in the Kony 2012 video (at 12:17) that it shows that the ICC in the Hague who is seeking to try international war criminals in a court have at least 27 people on their list, among whom Muammar Gaddafi was #24. It's more than just a "Kony" issue, it's a social justice and human rights issue. The real message, I think, is that social issues won't expire after 2012, but human life can expire if mistreated and unless injustices can be somehow stopped.

And actually you can apply this to any part of the world that is being influenced by evil people who wield power, and as a student of history I have been appalled to learn how many evil rulers there really have been all around the world within the last 100 years. Knowledge of these things is the first step, but even if a new awareness of these essentially HUMAN issues does not lead you to decide to take up some specific international cause, you can at least apply the golden rule (Luke 6:31) to everyone you meet with a renewed attitude of respect and love for your fellow mankind, showing people the dignity that should be bestowed on anyone who is God's creation. Prayer also is a mighty weapon of war, and God is called the Lord of Hosts for a reason.

Such are my possibly unworthy and uneducated thoughts on the issue, but there you have it. I would normally save this for a blog or a forum somewhere but since it's going viral on facebook.... :)"
-------

~Josh

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I replied to this yesterday, I guess not.

Well, I guess thanks for your concerns, but it is not fear, but respect and honour for the Lord.
Out of respect for the Lord you didn't want to type "Kony"?
I still don't understand. :confused:

Kony is evil. we should share this as much as we can. this guy needs to be stopped. there are not enough Sam Childers in the world. If you do not know who Sam is, he is a guy that has made it his mission to help kids in the area where Kony is. Read his book if you want to know about Kony. Evil is not a harsh enough to tell about this guy.

The ones who want control of the news will no doubt watch the outcome of this with interest. We have all been manipulated by restricted news events to show favor or anger towards a situation. The web has become a real bind for those who in the past used news events to make us think in a certain way with our political views. This is new its a world event and the first....it was spawned by genuine love for the invisible children but as the original poster said, something sits uneasy...not in the intention of the film makers but in its use thereafter by others who will see that the example works and find ways to use it

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back