Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Key texts in Bible study and teaching:

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

JohnD

2 Peter 1:20-21 (NASB95)
20 But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation,
21 for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

Deuteronomy 29:29 (NASB95)
29 “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our sons forever, that we may observe all the words of this law.

Proverbs 25:2 (NASB95)
2 It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, But the glory of kings is to search out a matter.

Isaiah 28:9-13 (NASB95)
9 “To whom would He teach knowledge, And to whom would He interpret the message? Those just weaned from milk? Those just taken from the breast?
10 “For He says, ‘Order on order, order on order, Line on line, line on line, A little here, a little there.’ ”
11 Indeed, He will speak to this people Through stammering lips and a foreign tongue,
12 He who said to them, “Here is rest, give rest to the weary,” And, “Here is repose,” but they would not listen.
13 So the word of the Lord to them will be, “Order on order, order on order, Line on line, line on line, A little here, a little there,” That they may go and stumble backward, be broken, snared and taken captive.

John 16:13 (NASB95)
13 “But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not
speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 (NASB95)
21 But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good;

1 John 4:1 (NASB95)
1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Acts 17:11 (NASB95)
11 Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NASB95)
16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;
17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV)
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

I prefer the KJV for this last verse for the others say be diligent... but the KJV points out the best way to be diligent in rightly dividing the word of truth is to study it. IMHO

You will notice not one reference is made to traditions.

Mark 7:1-13 (KJV)
1 Then came together unto him the Pharisees, and certain of the scribes, which came from Jerusalem.
2 And when they saw some of his disciples eat bread with defiled, that is to say, with unwashen, hands, they found fault.
3 For the Pharisees, and all the Jews, except they wash their hands oft, eat not, holding the tradition of the elders.
4 And when they come from the market, except they wash, they eat not. And many other things there be, which they have received to hold, as the washing of cups, and pots, brasen vessels, and of tables.
5 Then the Pharisees and scribes asked him, Why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashen hands?
6 He answered and said unto them, Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me.
7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.
9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.
10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:
11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.
12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;
13 Making the word of God of none effect through your tradition, which ye have delivered: and many such like things do ye.

Before we single out the Jews or the Sanhedrin, we must also rid ourselves of the traditions of men which we have adopted as biblical truth. If for no other reason, defending untruth along with truth diminishes the defense of the actual truth.

I'll never forget the way an atheist coworker I witnessed to for years saw I observed Christmas in the traditional ways said, "Oh okay. Santa is fake and Jesus is real?"

2 Peter 1:20-21 (NASB95)
20 But know this first of all, that no prophecy of Scripture is a matter of one’s own interpretation,
21 for no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God.

Deuteronomy 29:29 (NASB95)
29 “The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our sons forever, that we may observe all the words of this law.

Proverbs 25:2 (NASB95)
2 It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, But the glory of kings is to search out a matter.

Isaiah 28:9-13 (NASB95)
9 “To whom would He teach knowledge, And to whom would He interpret the message? Those just weaned from milk? Those just taken from the breast?
10 “For He says, ‘Order on order, order on order, Line on line, line on line, A little here, a little there.’ ”
11 Indeed, He will speak to this people Through stammering lips and a foreign tongue,
12 He who said to them, “Here is rest, give rest to the weary,” And, “Here is repose,” but they would not listen.
13 So the word of the Lord to them will be, “Order on order, order on order, Line on line, line on line, A little here, a little there,” That they may go and stumble backward, be broken, snared and taken captive.

John 16:13 (NASB95)
13 “But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not
speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 (NASB95)
21 But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good;

1 John 4:1 (NASB95)
1 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.

Acts 17:11 (NASB95)
11 Now these were more noble-minded than those in Thessalonica, for they received the word with great eagerness, examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NASB95)
16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;
17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV)
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

I prefer the KJV for this last verse for the others say be diligent... but the KJV points out the best way to be diligent in rightly dividing the word of truth is to study it. IMHO

Hi John, I really like all the verses that you have posted. I wish that every person who names the Name of Jesus for their Salvation would hold fast to these Scriptures and put them in action. The Church of Jesus Christ would fall on their faces and repent for being so connected to the world. Your quote of 2 Timothy 3:16-17 alone, if practiced would light a holy fire that this sinful world, controlled by the evil one, could not be extinguished.

Thank you very much John for listening to the Holy Spirit, and being obedient to His desire to remind us of our spiritual duty.

Back