Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Kind Romans?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Pard

Curious, in the gospels, at the end, we see that of ALL the people (the exception really being Mary and Mary) who come in contact with Jesus after He is captured int he garden the Romans are the only ones that show Him any kindness.

His disciples all disappear. His apostles are also not really that present and Peter out right denies even knowing Jesus.

The Jews (Pharisees really) are very anti-Christ and only wish that He be executed.

The Romans do end up executing Him, because of the begging of the Pharisees. At first they don't want to and then at the end they are like "It's your decision, I don't want any thing to do with this!" The Romans give Him drink before death and they are the first (besides His followers) to go "Oh man, this is really the Son of God!".

Does this allude to anything at all? I am simply curious, because I personally found it striking that the Romans showed Him more kindness than His own countrymen! Could this be an allusion to the current state of Jesus, that is to say the vast majority of Jews deny Him and the Romans (GENTILES!) are the ones who really are behind Him? To further expound on this, the Romans crucifying Jesus could be an allusion to you and I, who crucified Him with our sin!

Thoughts? Or maybe you actually know exactly what it means? That'd be VERY nice! :lol

Joh 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.

Politics are the same 2000 years later..

I wouldn't say the Romans were kind that is a bit of stretch...

God sent Him to bare the Cross ... The Jewish leaders had the Romans put Him there. YET He gave His life for you and me.....

Joh 1:11 He came unto his own, and his own received him not.
I shoulda thought of that one!

I feel I should admit that this occurred to me yesterday while watching the Passion of the Christ, which was on TBN completely uncensored, which amazed me even though it makes sense! So I may be stretching the word kind a little bit, probably not the exactly right word, but KINDER than His own people, for sure.

The Romans were not burdened with the jealousy, resentment, despair, anger, embarrassment, confusion, sorrow, etc., of a Messiah who was not what they expected.

The Romans were not burdened with the jealousy, resentment, despair, anger, embarrassment, confusion, sorrow, etc., of a Messiah who was not what they expected.

Exactly. The Jews of time were expecting a Messiah who would free Israel from oppression, bring Israel's history to a climax, establish the New Temple, etc... In essence, they were expecting a New Moses that would bring about a New Exodus, establish a New Temple and New Covenant, and lead Israel to a New Promised Land. The disciples fled because when Jesus was killed they thought he was just another failed Messiah. Throughout his ministry, Jesus tried to show his disciples that he was the New Moses everyone was looking for but that the ways in which they were expecting this New Moses to bring about the New Exodus was not the way he was going to bring it in.

Back