Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Kindergarten-Primary Assessment

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Nikki

I found this site when doing a search for Kindergarten Assessment tests and it's got a lot of great tests that you can print out! I've learned a lot from the site...including that I shouldn't be pushing Kailey so much to spell things correctly and to just have her spell it the way it sounds.

Anyways, just thought you home schooling parents may like to check this site out. It's for Kindergarten-2nd grade assessment.

I was encouraged when I was learning how to spell to spell the words like it sounded, I am now a bad speller.

You might want to reconsider that.

Everything I've been reading has said that Kindergartners learn to write by using phonetic spelling. That's also how the schools teach.

I've had to sit back and realize that she's just 6 years old and I need to stop pushing her so hard. One reason I took her out of school was because she was losing her love for learning. I've come to see though that the harder I push her, the less she wants to do. I'M going to be the one to cause her to lose her love for learning now.

Now, when she gets into 1st grade, then they begin to push correct spelling.

Think about it....what did you do in Kindergarten? We played and played and played. My child had 30 minutes of playtime in a 6 1/2 hour day when she was in school. Sure, we learned stuff also, but I didn't know how to read in Kindergarten and I was an honor roll student all the way through elementary school and the 1st year of middle school. I think the schools are just pushing too much, too young and I'm making a mistake of trying to do the same.

sillynikki said:
Think about it....what did you do in Kindergarten? We played and played and played. My child had 30 minutes of playtime in a 6 1/2 hour day when she was in school. Sure, we learned stuff also, but I didn't know how to read in Kindergarten and I was an honor roll student all the way through elementary school and the 1st year of middle school. I think the schools are just pushing too much, too young and I'm making a mistake of trying to do the same.

Pushing too hard can be a bad thing.....I think you are probably right to step back a little.

But, also what you say about the schools pushing too much....I disagree. Well, sorta. I think it depends on location and district.

My daughter was in kindergarten in North Carolina. All they did all year was play...they had maybe an hour a day of actual learning time. We moved to FL right before she was to start in the first grade and they wouldn't let her stay in the first grade she was so far behind. She had to retake Kindergarten. Every grade report she got in kindergarten in NC was above average....yet she had to retake it. Seems while she was coloring in her Kindergarten class in NC all the kindergarteners in Florida were actually learning. What a concept. :roll:

Doh! :oops: I just saw your location, Nikki. and I don't want you to think that I'm saying all schools in NC are like that....we lived in Goldsboro and that's all I can speak of.

:lol:

I think a lot depends on the TEACHER also. Not just the school. When I met Kailey's teacher, I didn't like her. She acted like it killed her to smile and wasn't "parent friendly". I found out from other parents that this was the way she always was. BUT, everyone went on about how she was the best teacher because she made the kids do work. Her class has been the top class every year for the past 4 years. I got to where she would finally communicate with me.

Other classes had artwork and crafts hanging all out the classroom. They were always doing "fun" things. Kailey's classes hall wall was usually bare. I know the kids complained that they never did anything fun. I was all for the "learn, don't play" concept in the beginning. I didn't remove Kailey for those reasons though. I removed her because she was being bullied, she had started wetting the bed (something we NEVER had a problem with), and she wasn't wanting to learn anything (uncommon for her at the time).

I just feel that Kindergarten should be fun and educational. It's a childs first experience away from home and in a school environment. At least it was for mine.

I talked to Courtney's preschool teacher and she said that Kailey is doing VERY well and that I've done a great job. That made me feel good. :biggrin

As a mom though, we still constantly worry about doing what's best for our kids, you know?

They're opening up a new school near me and it's supposed to be a GREAT school. I contacted the school district expressing my desire to have my kids go there and we are invited to a meeting about the new school. Registration is in February and we can put it down as our first choice! They do "zones" in our area and we can choose between 3-4 schools. We do 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice. I was told that we have a good chance of getting into the new school because the children that go to the school that Kailey went to and that Courtney still goes to have first choice.

Well, I'm rambling! LOL

What school did your daughter go to? My husband went to Colfax Elementary. I went to Cash in Kernersville. How long since you were here?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back