Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study KJV ONLY...

cyberjosh

KJV-onlyism seems to be increasing in prevalence among some conservative church people today. I talked to one today who claimed that the English Bible is the only valid Bible and that all people in the world should learn English to read the innerrant 1611 KJV Bible version. He claimed the Jews had corrupted OT Hebrew documents (such as the Dead Sea Scrolls) and when I pointed out that the KJV was translated from those earlier languages (Hebrew & Greek) said that a translation can be better than the originals if God helps the translators, to which I replied: "That's like saying God didn't say it good enough the first time. Now THAT'S blaspheme."

What do you think about this issue? I've honestly never seen people so much in a bubble of their "KJV only" universe.

I don't like reading the KJV because it is in middle English. It is nice and poetical and I can understand it, as I have studied Shakespeare and stuff in school, but I really want to UNDERSTAND what I read so I choose more modern versions. The only version I have a problem with is the New World Translation (the Jehovah's Witness Bible) because there are a few things that they have changed!
I never understood the "KJV only" arguments at all. All the modern translations were taken from the same texts. I have compared them and they all say the same thing in a different way.
I would compare it to reading The Three Musketeers. I can only read a tiny bit of French that I learned in high school, so I would read an English translation, but there is more than one. But both say the same thing in a different way as different people translated them; there is no real difference. The English language has a lot of synonyms and such.
The same with the Bible. I cannot read Greek or Hebrew or Aramaic or Arabic so I have to rely on the English translations of it, and I don't think it would really matter which version I read because I don't think God would let anyone change His Written Word, and if that does happen, then we will know it (as in the case of the New World Translation).
I think it may be pretty strong to call the person a blasphemer, though.

There are many threads on this in the archives here. This one is currently being discussed in Apologetics. You will find out how most people feel there.

Ah, thanks. I tried looking for a search function here on the boards to see if this had been discussed before, but I couldn't find a search box.

I don't like reading the KJV because it is in middle English.

Do you really have a hard time understanding the KJB?

I flunked english 2x and quit school and got a ged and I understand it just fine in my studies, even without the margin notes, concordances, or commentaries.

Back