Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

KJV-onlyism?

Use what you like but if you were to assemble together try to be sure all use the same translation for clarity sake.
I do tend to use the KJV alot for study and such, but have found over many years of leading study groups, etc, that the opposite has been true in my experience. Having several different versions to look at most times helps to clarify something that a person may be having a hard time understanding in one particular version.

It [the KJV] has endured, and is the inspired word of God as recorded by men led by the spirit to pen the books.

Actually this is not correct of the KJV any more than it is of most of the other versions available today. The translators of the KJV never claimed they were inspired by God to write scripture. They said themselves that they only did the best they could to translate from materials they had available at the time. Not to belittle the wonderful job they did, but they never said or hinted that they were inspired by God to write scripture.

The KJV is a good translation that has stood the test of time. But the Bible cannot save you, although it speaks of him who can. If in an assembly, and there are many different translations being used this leads to confusion. If one book is used by all there is unity, so I endorse the KJV.

The purpose of many translation is to make the word of God more understandable. This men cannot do, only God can lead you to truth. In their attempt to make you see things there way they often change words or emit things and this should never be.
Actually, I go to a church that uses a variety of translations and it doesn't confuse any of us. (I myself either bring my KJV or ESV, or if I forgot my Bible I sometimes use one of the NIVs they have laying around.) But I've heard both ways...so, whatever works for you.

The reason for "omissions" is that some manuscripts used actually do not have the verses that are present in other manuscripts. It depends on what manuscript they use. Whether they were removed in the manuscript through error, removed through a bias of the person or church copying the manuscript, or added in on bias by a church that wanted to make a Bible that more strongly supported their idea of doctrine, or added in error, is what scholars mainly debate over. The manuscripts were copied over and over century after century, so there is definitely some room for human error.
That said, all of the manuscripts agree 95% - 99% of the time, with most of the errors being very minor and none having any effect on doctrine. So I'd say that God has preserved His Word anyway, despite whether or not some verses were added or removed over the centuries. (The removed verses have no real affect on doctrine. No doctrine is only stated in one verse alone. My old church, for example, used to claim that they removed verses about the blood in modern translations, and to prove their case pointed to a particular omitted verse. However, what they didn't tell me was that there are other verses with the same doctrine present that were not removed. Plus, most translations have footnotes that tell you about the omitted verses, so it's not like you can't either read them in the footnote if they include a quote, or look it up elsewhere.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The KJV is a good translation that has stood the test of time. But the Bible cannot save you, although it speaks of him who can. If in an assembly, and there are many different translations being used this leads to confusion. If one book is used by all there is unity, so I endorse the KJV.

The purpose of many translation is to make the word of God more understandable. This men cannot do, only God can lead you to truth. In their attempt to make you see things there way they often change words or emit things and this should never be.
Actually, I go to a church that uses a variety of translations and it doesn't confuse any of us. (I myself either bring my KJV or ESV, or if I forgot my Bible I sometimes use one of the NIVs they have laying around.) But I've heard both ways...so, whatever works for you.

The reason for "omissions" is that some manuscripts used actually do not have the verses that are present in other manuscripts. It depends on what manuscript they use.

[MENTION=89910]questdriven[/MENTION]:

So how are you finding the ESV? in some ways it's similar to the KJV in that it's fairly formal.

I find I always remember verses in the King James, even if I see other renderings.

Blessings.

The reason for "omissions" is that some manuscripts used actually do not have the verses that are present in other manuscripts. It depends on what manuscript they use.

So how are you finding the ESV? in some ways it's similar to the KJV in that it's fairly formal.

I find I always remember verses in the King James, even if I see other renderings.

Blessings.
I kinda like how the ESV words things. Some verses I prefer the ESV version over the KJV--they say the same thing either way, but still.

I usually use the KJV, so I usually memorize in KJV.

Blessings.
I kinda like how the ESV words things. Some verses I prefer the ESV version over the KJV--they say the same thing either way, but still.

I usually use the KJV, so I usually memorize in KJV.

Yes, it can be good to get a fresh perspective on a verse or a passage, in a different version.

It does help to know beforehand what sort of a translation it is. The fact that the ESV is fairly formal does make it more reliable for word studies than, say, a highly paraphrastic Bible version would be.

Blessings.

PS: Would they have a particular Bible version in the pews at your new church? (I say 'new' but you seem well settled, of course.)

Blessings.

@questdriven :

PS: Would they have a particular Bible version in the pews at your new church? (I say 'new' but you seem well settled, of course.)

Blessings.
There are some NIVs scattered around under some of the pews.

They preach out of a variety of translations, though. They often use the NIV or NKJV, one guy likes this translation that I can't remember the name of. It has an interesting way of wording things.

You believe God does ALL the choosing why bother with a Bible at all... Real question not a snark...IF your chosen your chosen .

Reba, your the mod, not me, but don't you think your question is a little out of line? There are so many threads on Calvinism, and yet you want to make this one a Calvinism thread? I really feel uncomfortable scolding someone, but your question shows a lot of ignorance on what Calvinism teaches. (I apologize for the term "lot of ignorance" but I marvel at how much lack of understanding your question demonstrates).

Eph 1:4 even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blemish before him in love:
Yes, election is unto salvation, but it is also unto holiness.

Calvinists also believe in something called the perseverance of the saint. It is the P in TULIP. Perseverance is faith and righteousness in the life of a believer after salvation.

We in Reformed Theology believe in regeneration before faith. When Reformed people talk about the New Covenant, we are talking about a change of heart, or regeneration. This change of heart places a desire for God in the hearts of believers and we will seek the word of God, the bible. This is so much true, that another reformed doctrine is "sola scriptura." I, myself, have been a chief defender of that doctrine on these very threads in the past against people like Francis Desales, and other Roman Catholics. When I was defending the doctrine of the authority of the scriptures, most protestants were sitting around scratching their heads wondering what the thread was all about.

Reba, it is not Calvinists who fail to hold the scriptures in high regard, it is usually non Calvinists.

After my comments to reba, I should attempt to move the conversation back to the KJV issue. Here are some comments on the OP.

I'm no longer convinced that the KJV is the only correct version,
Yeah!!!
although I don't believe they can all be correct.
Actually, if I can expand on your statement here.... Several translations can be correct and yet be different at the same time. One of the problems is the differences between the koine greek language and modern english. The languages are so different that there is rarely a word for word parallel translation. To illustrate this, if you look at the greek article, it is frequently very different in its use then the english article. I could attempt to illustrate this, but if you have little experience in languages, it would be hard to understand anyway.

Let me stop here and say that some translations are not translations at all. Of course the "New World Translation" and also paraphrases are not translations at all.

The usual issue is the differences between the NIV and the KJV. Actually, there is justification for both translations. The KJV is an attempt to go word for word a lot more than the NIV. The NIV philosophy of translation is "dynamic equivalency." They use a far greater range of english words to translate the greek words. The most extreme word for word translation is the American Standard Version. It is more word for word, greek to english, then the KJV. I generally use it in my quotes in these threads.

I was always taught that it was, though, and I have some serious doubts about some of the things I've been told. (I do think that the KJV is an excellent translation, though. And I've used it all my life, so I plan to keep using it.)
Just wanted to know more about other sides of the debate, and hopefully learn more.

One thing I was taught was that the KJV was translated from the textus receptus and that the modern translations were translated from a corrupt manuscript.
In my opinion, you were taught wrong here, very wrong. The first thing to begin with, is that there is no uncorrupted manuscript. This does not mean we cannot reestablish what the autographs wrote. A huge amount of scribal copying mistakes are obvious. Sometimes a scribe copied the same line of letters twice. That was obvious. Sometimes scribes used extra words to describe Jesus. When the text says "Lord Jesus" or in other places "Jesus Christ" the tendency of scribes might have been to holyize the text and say "the Lord Jesus Christ."

The textus receptus began by Erasmus Deciderous was a compilation of less than 10 late manuscripts. We now have over 5700 partial or complete manuscripts of the greek New Testament. There are also thousands and thousands more manuscripts in other languages, such as latin, Aramaic, etc. The textus receptus is only one part of the Byzantine tradition. In may places, the Byzantine disagrees with the TR. There is also a greek text done by Hodges and Farstatt called "the majority text." The list the differences between the majority text and the TR. So then, there are places that the TR is a minority reading.[/QUOTE]

They have also claimed that a lot of the people who translated the modern translations were agnostics rather than Christians.
Not sure about that anymore, and am especially skeptical about that last part.
Your skeptical for good reason. The translators of the NIV were evangelicals, not agnostics. I guess it is true that 2 of their number apostatized. On the other hand, the translators of the KJV were not all evangelicals, they were from the Church of England. Some of them were undoubtedly high Church anglicans. Also, it is true that Westcott and Hort were German liberal scholars. Nestly and Aland were also liberal in their theology.

The thing of it is, the theological background of a textual critic is not very significant if he or she is collating manuscripts. When it comes to the translation work, the Revised Standard did put its liberal bias into the translation several times. On the other hand, liberal or conservative bias is much harder to influence someone who is collating a text for a greek edition. I am not going to say that bias is even impossible there, but I think it would be painfully obvious. I myself would be very skeptical of any work done by Bart Erhman.

One book I read claimed that there were six translations before the KJV and that the KJV was translated at a time when the English language was at it's peak. Then it quoted a verse about God's Word being tried seven times.
The history on that sounds pretty accurate, but the conclusions the author came to based on it sound pretty subjective.
Ahh yes, I have heard this before. The KJV only people are referring to a specific OT verse. Where is that verse? I remember looking at this and the verse being quoted is totally out of context. Even the way that they count the 6 or 7 english texts was weird. I mean tyndale made his translation from Latin, not greek. Also, that OT verse was not talking about Bible translations. Think about it. If it were actually referring to translations, would we not have to count the Septuagint as the 1st? Would it not then be referring to the translation of the Hebrew Bible into any other language? Actually, there was a change in the Hebrew Alphabet. About the time of Ezra, the Jews moved from Paleo Hebrew to the Mazoretic script. Actually, the whole KJV only discussion of that verse (where is that verse?) is bizzaire.

It's also been claimed that a lot of the modern versions leave out important doctrines and that they have some verses missing.
Yes, KJV only people scream this loud, long, and passionately. The love to complain that the NIV takes away from the deity of Christ. All translators of the NIV accept the deity of Christ. What the KJV people are talking about here is that the Westcott Hort, or Nestle Aland compilations might have only 170 times that the term "Lord Jesus" is made. The KJV might have the term "Lord Jesus" 185 times. The bizarre thing is that the doctrine of the deity of Christ is based not upon terms that the apostles called Christ, but the actual teaching of the passages.

As an illustration, lets look at a passage in the NT which most loudly trumpets the deity of Christ.
Col 2:9 for in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily,
The name of Jesus does not appear in this verse, but it does appear right before it.
Col 2:6 As therefore ye received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him,
Now the quotes are from the American Standard, one of those boogie man translations according to KJV onlyists. But the defense of the deity of Christ in Colossians is not based upon the frequency of the use of the term "Lord Jesus Christ," but it is based upon the statement in Colossians 2:9.

P.S. If you could give sources for your information, that'd be helpful.
Sorry, I did not give sources (except for the ASV quote of Colossians).

@questdriven :

Blessings.
There are some NIVs scattered around under some of the pews.

They preach out of a variety of translations, though. They often use the NIV or NKJV, one guy likes this translation that I can't remember the name of. It has an interesting way of wording things.

Oh I see; ty; so the ESV copy is yours, then. As mentioned, ESV has the reputation of being fairly formal. It's based on the old RSV, but with some of its problems weeded out. Blessings.

Originally Posted by reba

You believe God does ALL the choosing why bother with a Bible at all... Real question not a snark...IF your chosen your chosen .

Reba, your the mod, not me, but don't you think your question is a little out of line? There are so many threads on Calvinism, and yet you want to make this one a Calvinism thread? I really feel uncomfortable scolding someone, but your question shows a lot of ignorance on what Calvinism teaches. (I apologize for the term "lot of ignorance" but I marvel at how much lack of understanding your question demonstrates).

I was not asking you nor was I asking anything about Calvinism. I was asking if the way of salvation is totally by God's choosing why bother with a Bible much less which version. On the other hand I did not read the title of the thread, therefor my question was off topic.

OFF TOPIC P.S. [MENTION=4317]mondar[/MENTION], I have been kick out of sites and chats for being a Calvinist.

@reba :

Like Heinz Beans, there are more than 57 varieties of Calvinism.

Some people regard it as a norm for fellowship; others use it as a term of abuse.

Some KJVO folk are militantly anti-Calvinist, and regard their anti-Calvinism as a proper extension of their KJVO position. Some folk are militantly Calvinist and regard their Calvinism as a proper extension of their KJVO position.

(And so it goes...) :)

Blessings.

Calvin was a man. But when you read scriptures like Romans 8:33, these words can only be applied to God's Choosen, bloodbought people. This is not Calvinism but the doctrine of particular redemption, as set forth in scripture and one would think that men would not hate and despise these precious Biblical, God honoring truths. There are many others but oh how man hates the truth. Calvine saved no one. That is reserved for our Lord, but men, when shown scriptures, such as these come forth with hate and bitterness in there hearts, fighting to lay claim to something, anything they did. Anything that exalts man, takes the eyes of Jesus Christ. When Peter took his eyes of the Lord he began to sink. Men willl Hate the gospil while claiming it, by their wor ks. Scriptres like "ye have not choosen me but I have choosen you AND ordained you..........John15:16 or "As many as were ordained to eternal life believed" Acts 13:48 are solid Bibilical scriptures that so many hate. There is no calvinism theology, nor any other man , book, peacher who can open someones eyes and cause them to see except Jesus Christ the Lord and saviour. If you want to insist on giving honor to any man you are not Giving honor to our Lord. HE has mercy upon all he will have mercy upon. May he richly bless you in his ways as only he can do.

As far as the KJV of the bible use what you like knowing that the translators of so many of the new ones are trying to make the Bible easier to understand and this they cannot do. The KJV has stood the test of time, and speaks of the one who can. The KJV does not save anyone. Jesus Christ the Lord does.

Back