Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study Know the Enemy of our LORD Jesus

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Fallen star: god of this age

Revelation Ch.9:1-12

Revelation Ch.8:10-11; Revelation Ch.12:7-9, 12; 2nd Corinthians Ch.4:4

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fallen Star: Descended Angel of the Bottomless Pit

Revelation Ch.9:1, 11

Isaiah Ch.14:12-15

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Abaddon (Hebrew): the destroying angel; angel of hell. Apollylon (Greek): devil

Revelation Ch.9:11

Revelation Ch.12:3

Horns=Power; Diadem=crowns

“…a third of the stars…”

Revelation Ch.12:4

*Revelation Ch.12:9

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“…to devour her Child as soon as it was born.”

Matthew Ch.2:13-14, 16

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Israel Gave Birth to the “Child”

Revelation Ch.12:5

Psalm Ch.2:7-9; Isaiah Ch.66:7; Matthew Ch.2:5-6; *Matthew Ch.1:2, 16; *Luke Ch.1:31-33

The fall of the Dragon

Revelation Ch.12:7-10

The Accuser

Revelation Ch.12:10

*Zechariah Ch.3:1-2; *Job Ch.1:6-12; *Job Ch.2:1-7; 1st Chronicles Ch.21:1

Fallen star: god of this age

Revelation Ch.9:1-12

Revelation Ch.8:10-11; Revelation Ch.12:7-9, 12; 2nd Corinthians Ch.4:4

Fallen Star: Descended Angel of the Bottomless Pit

Revelation Ch.9:1, 11

Abaddon (Hebrew): the destroying angel; angel of hell. Apollylon (Greek): devil

Revelation Ch.9:11

Revelation Ch.12:3

Horns=Power; Diadem=crowns

“…a third of the stars…”

*Revelation Ch.12:9

“…to devour her Child as soon as it was born.”

Matthew Ch.2:13-14, 16

Israel Gave Birth to the “Child”

Revelation Ch.12:5

Psalm Ch.2:7-9; Isaiah Ch.66:7; Matthew Ch.2:5-6; *Matthew Ch.1:2, 16; *Luke Ch.1:31-33

The fall of the Dragon

Revelation Ch.12:7-10

The Accuser

Revelation Ch.12:10

*Zechariah Ch.3:1-2; *Job Ch.1:6-12; *Job Ch.2:1-7; 1st Chronicles Ch.21:1

Hi again Ron, tell me a little about what prompted you to post these verses, I'm interested.

An excellent book on this subject is "The Adversary" by Mark Bebeck. It is a practical, not over your head (like "War on the Saints"), book for when you find yourself engaged in deep combat with the enemy: http://www.amazon.com/The-Adversary-Christian-Versus-Activity/dp/0802401430 . A caution of my own is NEVER go looking for battle with satan because even though a battle may be won there is amonst always casualties. And never forget Job's ordeal. He was one of if not the most righteous man and believer on earth and God highly favored him and in the end he did win BUT the losses were great.

An excellent book on this subject is "The Adversary" by Mark Bebeck. It is a practical, not over your head (like "War on the Saints"), book for when you find yourself engaged in deep combat with the enemy: http://www.amazon.com/The-Adversary-Christian-Versus-Activity/dp/0802401430 . A caution of my own is NEVER go looking for battle with satan because even though a battle may be won there is amonst always casualties. And never forget Job's ordeal. He was one of if not the most righteous man and believer on earth and God highly favored him and in the end he did win BUT the losses were great.

Yes, Job won. He repented and the Lord restored to him everything that had been taken away.

Job repented??? I thought Job was allowed to be attacked BECAUSE he was so blameless and upright. I thought the first six verses of Job went into great detail to explain this. Let me check... Yep, I am correct. And then to top that off God Himself told satan, "There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil." To me it doesn't sound like Job had anything to repent from. After God told satan this satan told God that Job was like that because God was blessing him. So even though Job was such a monumentus exmple of being blameless and upright and performing his sacrafices faithfully not only for himself but his family God chose to stop blessing Job and hand him over to satan giving only one restriction: "Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger."

Yes, what he had was restored, but those family members he lost were gone never to return. Maybe replaced with someone else, but they were gone. And his body was surely covered with scars, and...

People are so quick to say that if someone is suffering and not blessed then they are doing something wrong. That is human thinking akin to the thinking that one has to earn their salvation. God's thinking is different as we see. To our very limited understanding we think some of God's ways are not fair or right but that is our errror. His thinking includes being omni-present (present in all places (times?) at the same time and omni-powerful . That creates a whole different dimension of cognition beyond our even touching the surface.

Job repented??? I thought Job was allowed to be attacked BECAUSE he was so blameless and upright. I thought the first six verses of Job went into great detail to explain this. Let me check... Yep, I am correct. And then to top that off God Himself told satan, "There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil." To me it doesn't sound like Job had anything to repent from. After God told satan this satan told God that Job was like that because God was blessing him. So even though Job was such a monumentus exmple of being blameless and upright and performing his sacrafices faithfully not only for himself but his family God chose to stop blessing Job and hand him over to satan giving only one restriction: "Very well, then, everything he has is in your hands, but on the man himself do not lay a finger."

Yes, what he had was restored, but those family members he lost were gone never to return. Maybe replaced with someone else, but they were gone. And his body was surely covered with scars, and...

People are so quick to say that if someone is suffering and not blessed then they are doing something wrong. That is human thinking akin to the thinking that one has to earn their salvation. God's thinking is different as we see. To our very limited understanding we think some of God's ways are not fair or right but that is our errror. His thinking includes being omni-present (present in all places (times?) at the same time and omni-powerful . That creates a whole different dimension of cognition beyond our even touching the surface.

Job 40:6 Then answered the LORD unto Job out of the whirlwind, and said,
Job 40:7 Gird up thy loins now like a man: I will demand of thee, and declare thou unto me.
Job 40:8 Wilt thou also disannul my judgment? wilt thou condemn me, that thou mayest be righteous?
Job 40:9 Hast thou an arm like God? or canst thou thunder with a voice like him?........

And the Lord said to Job..
Job 40:14 Then will I also confess unto thee that thine own right hand can save thee.

Job replied.....
Job 42:5 I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee.
Job 42:6 Wherefore I abhor myself, and repent in dust and ashes.

Yes, what satan was allowed to do to Job and all his family and possessions and his body may have caused him to do something from which to repent BUT what you were originally responding to was what I said in post #5:

"He was one of if not the most righteous man and believer on earth and God highly favored him and in the end he did win BUT the losses were great." To that you said he needed to repent. People could easily get the erroneous idea that Job did something wrong to get all whcih happened to him and it is overwhelningly obvious in God's Word that he DIDIN'T.

The caution which I was making in post #5 I thought was clearly stated:

"A caution of my own is NEVER go looking for battle with satan because even though a battle may be won there is amonst always casualties."

I think someone may have read into this caution something I didn't say; easily done online without the benefit of body language, voice inflections and intonations, and eye contact. I did NOT say that we need be afraid of satan. we don't ever need be; but we do need to respect him as a formidable foe whom we can defeat in the power of God through Jesus but sometimes the battle will leave casualties and scars.

Yes, what satan was allowed to do to Job and all his family and possessions and his body may have caused him to do something from which to repent BUT what you were originally responding to was what I said in post #5:

"He was one of if not the most righteous man and believer on earth and God highly favored him and in the end he did win BUT the losses were great." To that you said he needed to repent. People could easily get the erroneous idea that Job did something wrong to get all whcih happened to him and it is overwhelningly obvious in God's Word that he DIDIN'T.

The caution which I was making in post #5 I thought was clearly stated:

"A caution of my own is NEVER go looking for battle with satan because even though a battle may be won there is amonst always casualties."

I think someone may have read into this caution something I didn't say; easily done online without the benefit of body language, voice inflections and intonations, and eye contact. I did NOT say that we need be afraid of satan. we don't ever need be; but we do need to respect him as a formidable foe whom we can defeat in the power of God through Jesus but sometimes the battle will leave casualties and scars.

You said, "People are so quick to say that if someone is suffering and not blessed then they are doing something wrong. That is human thinking akin to the thinking that one has to earn their salvation."

This statement is so true and perfectly fits Job's story. His so called three friends, thought he had done something wrong, that he had sinned. And Job thought he was earning his salvation.

I agreed with you that Job won. He won when he repented of his self-righteousness and gave God credit for his blessed state.
Short version:
Yes, he was a very righteous and upright man, God said he was. He did everything God would have him do.
Job was attacked by satan. He held firm in his convictions that he had not sinned against God, even when his three rotten friends tried to say different.
So what was the problem? Could Job's righteousness works and life save him?
Job thought they could, God said they couldn't. Could his own right hand save him?

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

My first post was just to agree with you that Job won and I added how (I see) Job won, the same way we do, by turning to the Lord. So if the Lord shows us there is something we need to repent of just do that. If He doesn't we rebuke that old accuser of the brethren, make sure our armor is securely in place, and stand firm in our Lord. :pray and :woot2

Hi, I have found the above discussion very helpful because I am currently doing a study on knowing your enemy. I would like to ask if anyone can help answer this question. To what extent was Jesus concerned with satan and his Kingdom?

Hi, I have found the above discussion very helpful because I am currently doing a study on knowing your enemy. I would like to ask if anyone can help answer this question. To what extent was Jesus concerned with satan and his Kingdom?

Hi Ms Helena:

1 John 4.4 says: 'Greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world'.

1 Corinthians 15.57 speaks of the victory accomplished by the Lord Jesus at the Cross.

This is why sinners can completely trust Him, because victory in Him over the powers of darkness is assured.

Welcome, welcome, welcome! You have found a wonderful Christian Forum to present your questions and views on your walk with Jesus. As part of the Administration I extend to you a hug to tell you how happy we are to have you as part of this wonderful family called CF.net.

Oh my friend, Jesus, aside from His message about Him and His Father and all that encompassed, His focus on Satan, demons, and the result of rebellion of God's standards, He had a great concern about how Satan's effects were leading Israel's leaders astray and bringing into bondage people He came to save.

Mat 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

James 4:7;
"Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you".
Jesus resisted the devil by quoting the Word of God.

Ephesians 6:12;
"For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms".

Therefore, put on the armor of God, pray in the Spirit, and be alert.
There is nothing to fear from the devil when we are walking with God.
As David said, "I will fear no evil".

Thank you so much for all your responses, which has been a great help. It is good to be able to connect with other Christians for support. God bless you all.

Thank you so much for all your responses, which has been a great help. It is good to be able to connect with other Christians for support. God bless you all.

YW. Good to see you on the forums; God bless His Word to you.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back