Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Knowing how to memorize can surely help

D

David2K

Every Christian knows that there is a lot to Bible study. There are numerous books both in Old and the New Testaments, numerous subjects and themes and a countless number of verses – it is overwhelming. It takes years to learn and the tricky part is that the more you study the Bible, the more it becomes deeper and the more there is to learn. Since ancient times there were various methods of memorizing and retaining information. Today we have it all improved, crystallized and developed into coherent system of memory course that will teach you how to develop the memorization skill. It doesn’t just happen by itself – you need to train your brain just like you train your physical body. It will take some of your time but the return will be amazing. The Bible structure, like no other book, is very conveniently designed for a methodical memorization (if you know how to of course). The more verses and themes you remember the more effective your Bible study will be. You will be able to recall parallel verses and references where applicable without going through countless of pages trying to find the verse (don’t we all have this experience when we know a verse but have no clue which book it is from). Check it out and prepare yourself for a relatively short training that will benefit you for the rest of your life.

Good study David2K, and welcome to the boards. But I don't think we need a theory of memory to help us hide the word "in our heart." My Dad has written a paper on Biblical meditation and he researched every instance that Meditation is mentioned in the Bible and noticed that meditation is endorsed most in one's quiet time at night on their bed, and that the words are recited or "muttered" as one word had it, in a low voice or whisper to one's self. Doing this seems to be the most Biblical way to meditate, or recite the words at night in your quiet time, and the Bible says that your heart will medidate on it when you rise up in the morning and walk along the way. Once you put the word in your heart it is there to stay and it is not forgotten by fallible memory. It goes into you soul (which is your heart) and abides there. God's good and perfect Word, like evil words of gossip, depending on what you feed your soul with, can go down into one's soul (innermost being) by means of even a whisper like Proverbs 18:8 says "The words of a whisperer are like dainty morsels. And they go down into the innermost parts of the body."

"For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12)

Now there are other methods and one that was good that I saw on that website was music. I have 60+ songs from a series called Integrity Music and the lyrics are nothing other than Bible verses, and this is an amazing memory aid (because God's Word penetrates into the soul). I've even played this peaceful and life giving music while praying, reading God's word, and worshiping before. It sets an amazing atmosphere for the soul to absorb God's word.

I am not attempting to degrade what you said, I just mean to point out that there is no real scientific formula for remembering things (which would be subject to fallible memory). Otherwise we would all do that for tests and exams we have to take. :D There is just something unique about God's Word that roots itself in your soul when you are alone before the Lord.

"Be still and know that I am God." (Psalm 46:10)

"Tremble, and do not sin; Meditate in your heart upon your bed, and be still." (Psalms 4:4)

"I will bless the LORD who has counseled me; Indeed, my mind instructs me in the night. " (Psalms 16:7)

"The LORD will command His lovingkindness in the daytime; And His song will be with me in the night, A prayer to the God of my life." (Psalms 42:8)

"When I remember You on my bed, I meditate on You in the night watches." (Psalms 63:6)

"I will remember my song in the night; I will meditate with my heart, and my spirit ponders." (Psalms 77:6)

"O LORD, I remember Your name in the night, And keep Your law. " (Psalms 119:55)

"Thy word I have hidden in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee." (Psalms 119:11)

God Bless,

Josh

SPAM ALERT.

Cibershark5896's first post. There's a clue. The other shoe is that he wants you to pay $300 to receive some emails teaching you how to memorize.

You can easily find free information on the Internet that can teach you to improve your memory skills.

I don't think memory skills are important with the Bible. Spending time with it makes is familiar.

Who exactly are you talking to Poke? Did you mean David2K's first post? I missed the meaning of your last post. Did you disagree with something I said or something that David2K said?

For the record though I agree with your comment: "I don't think memory skills are important with the Bible. Spending time with it makes is familiar." That's what I was refering to. Meditating on God's Word (spending time with it - and also reciting its life-giving words) makes one familiar with the Bible. Not to mention in 1st John it says that the Holy Spirit will aid our understanding of the Bible.

Back