Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

late adult diagnosis of autism

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

evenifigoalone

Fare thee well, Felicia
2024 Supporter
So as some of you are aware, earlier this year I was diagnosed with autism level 1.

I thought I'd make this thread to talk about late diagnosis in adults and traits that might point to having autism. Also, it's a nice break from heavier stuff. And I just find this sort of thing fascinating to talk about anyways.

Autism is a disorder that is primarily defined by social differences that affect the ability to function, as well as four broad categories of other traits.

Some of us only struggle mildly in the social area and we are often able to eventually learn enough social skills so that we appear almost normal when interacting socially. I fall in this category. I used to be extremely awkward and while I wasn't aware, people could tell I was different. But working in a customer facing job has taught me to adapt. I do have some hiccups in areas, for example I often do not understand jokes and this can lead to misunderstandings. I also often take things literally, and this causes frustration from others. If you give me instructions, I tend to assume you mean exactly what you say and nothing more - or less. Either that, or I ask a bunch of questions to be sure I understand, which also frustrates people.

The area that is most difficult for me, is sensory processing. I am hypersensitive to noise and sometimes light, and even as a 30 year old fully grown adult this can cause me to have meltdowns. I had explosive outbursts when I was in school as a child, when I was overwhelmed. As an adult, meltdowns are almost entirely internal.

Meltdowns and tantrums are not the same: tantrums are intentional and goal driven. Meltdowns are an emotional breakdown when you can no longer handle the environment you're in, either due to sensory overload or overwhelming emotions. (Emotional dysregulation is another common facet of autism.)

Other traits I have include unusually intense interests. I was so obsessed with dogs when I was younger that I scarcely had a thought for anything else. It was so intense that my parents were quite worried about me.
I also have a lot of "repetitive movements", which is part of the diagnostic criteria. I fidget all the time, at least 200% more than other people. These things are primarily pleasant, but also they help us autistics to regulate ourselves when overwhelmed or overstimulated. Having something to fiddle with when I'm overwhelmed by noise helps to take my mind off the overwhelm.

Autism has a whole ton of traits associated with it, and ever since more mild cases have been recognized, many older adults are being recognized as autistic who couldn't have been in previous decades. I had so many signs as a child, but my parents either scratched their heads or assumed my stuff was a trauma thing from the divorce.

Being autistic doesn't absolve me of responsibility. The fact that I'm prone to overwhelm is an explanation, not an excuse. If I hurt someone in some way while overwhelmed, it behooves me to apologize to them and try to make it better.

I guess I'm the only one fascinated by this topic, haha.

If anything I described sounds familiar, is the main reason I started this thread. That said, autism is a hugely broad diagnosis and describes a large variety of people. No two autistic people are alike. Autism can be more mild so that you can be independent and even hold down a job and provide for yourself, or it can affect someone so severely that they cannot live on their own and need help with many basic daily activities.

But hmm yeah....
Things that help me cope with my disability and that allow me to hold down a job:
-work accommodations, which are protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act (in my case, I have a list of like 10 of them that include the ability to use noise reduction equipment at my workplace and the ability to split my break up into two or three as needed)
-sunglasses on sunny days (without them, the sun is so bright I cannot look up at the sky to any degree)

-Loop earplugs

-another brand of noise cancelling earplugs for better sleep

-noise canceling ear guards (they look like giant headphones, and were designed for shooting ranges)

-a lanyard that communicates that I am sensitive to loud noises (so people don't think I'm being rude and ignoring them when I have my ear guards on)

There's a train of thought among some of the adult autistic community that autism is a "neurotype" rather than a disorder. I don't 100% agree with that, as there are definitely things about autism, including my own, that are inherently disabling.

But there are good things and strengths we have as well!

We tend to have good memories. I notice that I seem to hold onto a lot of details about past events that others do not.

We tend to see things others don't, and have unique ways of looking at things. We make connections to ideas in different ways.

We often have a "strong sense of justice". We care deeply about it.

Our ability to hyperfocus on a topic of interest can be as much of a strength as it is a weakness. We often excel at things we are interested in.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back