Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

[ Testimony ] Lesson learnt

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Couppy

Sometimes we beat ourselves up because of mistakes we make. We swell up and ready to blot out the first thing that comes to our mind when someone makes a costly mistake that affects us. A couple of weeks ago, I learnt a very important lesson.
I was designing my most recent website and spent two hours creating two pages, then the system through me out. I logged back in and thought everything was okay so I started on the third page. Then a message popped up asking if I wanted to keep the previous session or the current one. I did not mind losing the third page, so I opted for the previous session, only for the system to revert me back to the page I worked on 3 days earlier. All the time I spent that morning was wasted. I bit my lower lip to hold back tears. I took several deep breaths. I paced up and down, trying not to bang my head on the wall.

Eventually, I felt the best thing is for me to go for a walk. I decided to return a purchased blouse to a store. I took my bag, took a bus, and queued up for Returns. The assistant helped with a form I forgot to complete online, and did everything according to their procedure, then she asked me for my card to take repayment. I left my wallet at home! It was not in my bag. I took a deep breath, trying not to take a cane and beat myself up. I thought of the travel fare and time wasted in travelling to accomplish nothing. I was sent home with my returns to pick up my card. Another bus fare to pay for my silly mistake of forgetting. I picked up my card and paid another bus fare back to the store. On entering I decided, contrary to my principles, use their hand gel. It was very watery. I made my returns and left the store. I decided to walk home. On the way, my fingers started turning red with rashes all over. I looked at them and smiled. I knew I should not have used a hand gel I was not familiar with. Though I made that mistake, I felt calm. I told myself it was going to be okay. I would sort it when I got home.

Since then, whether I made a costly mistake or someone else did that affected me, I looked forward how to rectify the mistake than dealing on the negative cost of that mistake. It was a lesson learnt that changed the way I think and behave. As a common phrase goes `it is not the end of the world'. As for me, even if it was the end of the world, I knew I was going to end up in the bosom of God the father.

Ha, please excuse me as I chuckle. I've certainly had days like that!
I think the worst programming issue I was was writing C in notepad many, many years ago for college. I would copy past into a Vi editor to run. It was homework for my programming class and I started it Saturday and was just wrapping up Sunday evening. I had written a few hundred lines of code....and never hit save once when the computer crashed. Needless to say, I was up very late writing it again. Lesson learnt

I do a lot in notepad ++ and within dbeaver and sql developer. Cntr s is second nature. Nice thing about Oracle, you can query the database for previous queries. That's saved me a few times. SQL Developer also saves history.

Ha, please excuse me as I chuckle. I've certainly had days like that!
I think the worst programming issue I was was writing C in notepad many, many years ago for college. I would copy past into a Vi editor to run. It was homework for my programming class and I started it Saturday and was just wrapping up Sunday evening. I had written a few hundred lines of code....and never hit save once when the computer crashed. Needless to say, I was up very late writing it again. Lesson learnt

I do a lot in notepad ++ and within dbeaver and sql developer. Cntr s is second nature. Nice thing about Oracle, you can query the database for previous queries. That's saved me a few times. SQL Developer also saves history.
The worst part is relying on autosave, that appeared to be saving changes until I realized it did not save anything.

The worst part is relying on autosave, that appeared to be saving changes until I realized it did not save anything.
I've had auto save bite me a few times. I have three monitors and moceca lot of text between applications. One time I accidently pasted into excel. After alt z didn't fix it, I figured I'd just close the app without saving. Didn't work.
I hear ya though. It hurts when you've lost your work. Frustrating for sure. And it sounds like that just set the stage for the rest of your day!
Reminds me of what James says...
James 1:2-4
English Standard Version
Testing of Your Faith
2 Count it all joy, my brothers,[a] when you meet trials of various kinds, 3 for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. 4 And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

I've had auto save bite me a few times. I have three monitors and moceca lot of text between applications. One time I accidently pasted into excel. After alt z didn't fix it, I figured I'd just close the app without saving. Didn't work.
I hear ya though. It hurts when you've lost your work. Frustrating for sure. And it sounds like that just set the stage for the rest of your day!
Reminds me of what James says...
James 1:2-4
English Standard Version
Testing of Your Faith
2 Count it all joy, my brothers,[a] when you meet trials of various kinds, 3 for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. 4 And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
Well, it really did hurt. What hurt more was that everything else I did after that seemed to wind me up a lot me by going completely wrong, at least until I learnt to see mistakes just as they are - imperfection of human beings and they will always be around us.

If I was programming as you were, and lost the work as you did, I do not think I would ever touch that task again for a couple of days. You probably have mastered some patience to do it again late at night. It must be very urgent.

Now, I take mistakes in my stride and just look for solutions, instead of bursting into tears - which I had done before.

Sometimes we beat ourselves up because of mistakes we make. We swell up and ready to blot out the first thing that comes to our mind when someone makes a costly mistake that affects us. A couple of weeks ago, I learnt a very important lesson.
I was designing my most recent website and spent two hours creating two pages, then the system through me out. I logged back in and thought everything was okay so I started on the third page. Then a message popped up asking if I wanted to keep the previous session or the current one. I did not mind losing the third page, so I opted for the previous session, only for the system to revert me back to the page I worked on 3 days earlier. All the time I spent that morning was wasted. I bit my lower lip to hold back tears. I took several deep breaths. I paced up and down, trying not to bang my head on the wall.

Eventually, I felt the best thing is for me to go for a walk. I decided to return a purchased blouse to a store. I took my bag, took a bus, and queued up for Returns. The assistant helped with a form I forgot to complete online, and did everything according to their procedure, then she asked me for my card to take repayment. I left my wallet at home! It was not in my bag. I took a deep breath, trying not to take a cane and beat myself up. I thought of the travel fare and time wasted in travelling to accomplish nothing. I was sent home with my returns to pick up my card. Another bus fare to pay for my silly mistake of forgetting. I picked up my card and paid another bus fare back to the store. On entering I decided, contrary to my principles, use their hand gel. It was very watery. I made my returns and left the store. I decided to walk home. On the way, my fingers started turning red with rashes all over. I looked at them and smiled. I knew I should not have used a hand gel I was not familiar with. Though I made that mistake, I felt calm. I told myself it was going to be okay. I would sort it when I got home.

Since then, whether I made a costly mistake or someone else did that affected me, I looked forward how to rectify the mistake than dealing on the negative cost of that mistake. It was a lesson learnt that changed the way I think and behave. As a common phrase goes `it is not the end of the world'. As for me, even if it was the end of the world, I knew I was going to end up in the bosom of God the father.
Oh man, I hear you!!!
I'm glad your post had some redemptive value at the end.
Thanks.

Hi Couppy
What a day to remember.
But you beat it all in the end!
When I get days like that I marvel at all the different emotions we can go through in one day. Then after I tell myself off I have to laugh. :lol

Your saga reminded me of my first coupe of weeks after moving to Houston, Texas.
On a dark, rainy afternoon, I was looking for a site where I was going to apply for a job.
I got a flat tire, and while changing it, stepped on my glasses.
I found a service station that was open, but they couldn't/wouldn't work on my custom mag wheel, so I did it myself...and ended up breaking a big chunk of the rim off.
I can't remember anything else about that night, but here it is 40 years later, and I'm still alive and in Christ.
God is good...if you hold on long enough.

so true - thanks for sharing

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back