Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Lord Of The Rings - the TRUE hero

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
I'm so sick of people saying that Frodo is the hero of LOTR... he's totally not; Sam is the real hero. Sam is the ONLY ringbearer who never gets corrupted by the ring, and he's the one that actually does most of the things necessary for the journey to Ordruin; everything from cooking all the food, up to killing off the giant, immortal spider.

I've heard lots of people use the excuse that Sam didn't have the ring as long as Frodo, and therefore didn't have as much of a chance to become corrupted. This falls flat for a number of reasons. First of all, the ring influenced Smeagol to kill Deagol without him even touching it; he had nothing more than a quick glance at it. On the other end, Bilbo held the ring for many decades and yet upon parting with it, never caused more than a hissy fit. Yet Frodo, the lazy freeloader, was willing to stab his best friend and loyal companion in the back, and claim lordship of middle earth for himself.

Sorry if this comes across strongly; I really dislike Frodo. I know we're called to forgive, but the media keeps playing up the "hero" aspect and it's annoying. Sam deserves a lot more credit than he gets.

My favorite part of the entire series is when Sam says, "Then let us be rid of it... once and for all! Come on, Mr. Frodo. I can't carry it for you... but I can carry you!"

Nonetheless, I do think Frodo deserves better than "lazy freeloader"... after all, he simply thought he was going to hand the thing off to Gandalf at the Pony... but then did man up and volunteer to carry the thing all the way to Mordor.

those are really good points, you find that a lot in stories that characters are left into the shadow of the supposed hero. it works like that in reality too, someone else takes most of the credit because they carry a centric job even though it would not've been near possible without someone else being there to wipe their butt so to speak. did you know that an ant species has a warrior caste that cant eat by themselves because of their fierce mandibles, and that in super mario 2 luigi can jump higher than mario.

edit: oh yeah, main character doesn't always mean hero, just main character.

Last edited by a moderator:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back