Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study LOTS of Reasons Why the NIV is NOT a False Bible

Which Bible Version Do You Use?

• NIV

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • KJV

• NRSV

• The Message

• Other

• Total voters
A

asb4God

For a really good look at why the NIV is a Bible to be trusted - MUCH more so than the KJV, see this thread.

Scott 8-)

I voted KJ because I am a proponent of the TR. I also use the LITV, which is a literal translation of the TR. I will use the YLT sometimes.

Hmmm...

:o

Something tells me you did not read that other thread. :D

If you'd like to point out a particular passage, I'll demonstrate why it isn't the NIV that left out passages, but the KJV that should not have left it in.

Scott 8-)

By the way, in that other thread I gave two examples why the NIV does not omit text, but the KJV adds it.

The first post here covers Romans 1:16 and the second post here deals with Galatians 3:22.

You can cut through all the rhetoric by just looking at these two posts on those 9 pages.

Usually people would rather just believe what they believe in the face of contrary evidence - I understand this - but a little education can go a long way.

Scott 8-)

NASB is the best! But I use NIV for all corporate readings as it flows more nicely.

Scott 8-)

I don't use just one Translation. :-? I use the NIV or NRSV when I need some milk for a young christian to understand. If I'm preaching, I try to use a NASB or KJV, they just help me teach that much more effectively. However, Whatever translation I grab, is the one I'll study from that day. I find the AMP quite useful for study. It just burns me to see people try to limit Gods voice to one translation. :roll:

I read the KJV and have since childhood. I have had no problem understanding God's Word from the KJV. No one has shown me any additions or omissions that change the course of meaning in the KJV as has the NIV, TNIV, RS, NLT, etc.

I had purchased an NIV and recognized that it did not have the same power of truth that I had received when reading the KJV. I threw that NIV in the trash and have since purchased many KJV for self, family, friends, and acquaintenances. I use many translations when studying, and I use many reference works including the Greek New Testament and Interlinear Greek-English New Testament with Lexicon.

The man who God used to compile the texts and publish the Textus Receptus was Erasmus. He had access to most all of the manuscripts that are available today. As asb4God suggested, read the following thread:
http://www.christianforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=17802

If the KJV did not exist, I would probably read the ASV.

I just don't get this. The word of God in the trash, Solo? Why is it that you KJVers have no problem trashing the NIV, and don't even hint on the fact that the "translation" of choice for today's teens in Peterson's The Message/Remix. That Book is a true disgrace to the word of God! Yet, I don't see one thread calling tht book a spawn of Satan and the like. Seems pretty hypocritical if you ask me.

Solo, you've got quite the nerve to take a Bible, whether you like the translation or not, and throw it in the trash. Christ had the right to leave each and everyone of us in the dumps, yet He came, redeemed us, and now allows us to work for His Glory. You KJVers accept this grace, but don't show it to a lesser translation of the Bible? God not only can use the NIV for his glory, He has. Romans 8:28.

Why is it that you KJVers have no problem trashing the NIV, and don't even hint on the fact that the "translation" of choice for today's teens in Peterson's The Message/Remix.
A certain female Christian artist has been endorsing the "Remix". Notice said Christian artist's photo has not been in my siggy for a while.

I find it interesting that people are beating up on Solo because he said he threw away a NIV. The very same people getting on his case are defendin the NIV and other translations, apparantly unaware that some of it's MMS's were found in the trash. :o

I Don't Think So

Vic said:
I find it interesting that people are beating up on Solo because he said he threw away a NIV. The very same people getting on his case are defendin the NIV and other translations, apparantly unaware that some of it's MMS's were found in the trash. :o

Non sequitir, I'm afraid.

1. You believe we should not give Solo a hard time for throwing away a Bible because we are not giving equal grief to monks who threw away Scripture in the past. It does not follow. We are under no obligation to point out all the examples we know of someone doing something wrong before we chastise another person for doing the same thing.
2. You assume we do not know the particulars of various MS discoveries. You are wrong. I am well aware of their history.
3. Your assumption is that the MSS were found in the trash because they were worthy of being thrown in the trash. This is not why they were in the trash and it has no bearing whatsoever on our disdain for the practice of throwing Bibles in the trash today.

Scott 8-)

Ok, how's this:

Bad monk, bad!
Bad solo, bad!

:wink:

Scott 8-)

Timothy said:
I just don't get this. The word of God in the trash, Solo? Why is it that you KJVers have no problem trashing the NIV, and don't even hint on the fact that the "translation" of choice for today's teens in Peterson's The Message/Remix. That Book is a true disgrace to the word of God! Yet, I don't see one thread calling tht book a spawn of Satan and the like. Seems pretty hypocritical if you ask me.

Solo, you've got quite the nerve to take a Bible, whether you like the translation or not, and throw it in the trash. Christ had the right to leave each and everyone of us in the dumps, yet He came, redeemed us, and now allows us to work for His Glory. You KJVers accept this grace, but don't show it to a lesser translation of the Bible? God not only can use the NIV for his glory, He has. Romans 8:28.
Timothy,
First of all, I find it disrespectful for anyone to call a believer a KJVer, or a KJV-only-er, Hypocrite, or any other name besides their given, user id, or believer/Christian. I have found the NIV to be a false representation of God's Word, and I will stand by that as a warning given me by the Holy Spirit. If you or any other have a problem with me not respecting that translation after many, many instances of its inaccuracy has been shown time and time again, then so be it. I threw the NIV in the trash because it was mine to do what I thought most important. I also threw many expensive rock and roll albums in the trash after I was saved. Whatever satan thinks is good, I think is trash. Garbage belongs in the garbage.

I hold little respect for those that have not investigated the garbage contained in the NIV and TNIV, and call those that read and study the KJV names. When you can tell me that you have investigated the NIV as thoroughly as I have and still consider it to be a good translation, then we can talk. Until then please call me Solo, Michael, believer, brother, or Christian.

PS. I don't consider the NIV, the TNIV, the Living Bible, the Good News Bible, and others the Word of God. I believe that the Textus Receptus is more accurately translated than any of the modern version that we currently have.

Michael

solo said:
I have found the NIV to be a false representation of God's Word, and I will stand by that as a warning given me by the Holy Spirit.

How have you found it to be a "false representation" other than this subjective feeling that the Holy Spirit has warned you against it?

solo said:
many, many instances of its inaccuracy has been shown time and time again,

Actually, solo, not ONE inaccuracy has been shown. Not one. Please see my challenge to you in this thread where I asked you to do the following:

1. Name one "omission" that you believe the NIV made in error and demonstrate why you believe it was in error.
2. Name one of these omissions where the doctrine is no longer present in Scripture.

You may even accept this challenge in this thread. In fact, I offer this challenge to anyone who thinks they can answer it.

solo said:
I hold little respect for those that have not investigated the garbage contained in the NIV

I have investigated the NIV and I know how it was translated and I can translate it myself. What is your objective basis for calling it "garbage" other than the archaic articles written by KJV proponents?

solo said:
When you can tell me that you have investigated the NIV as thoroughly as I have and still consider it to be a good translation, then we can talk.

I have investigated the NIV more thoroughly than you and I consider it to be a very good translation. Let's talk.

solo said:
PS. I don't consider the NIV, the TNIV, the Living Bible, the Good News Bible, and others the Word of God.

Then you do not understand what the Word of God is, my friend. The Word of God is first of all Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek. It is then translated imperfectly by ALL of the versions we use. It only happens to be translated a little more poorly in the KJV than in all the rest, but they are all imperfect.

solo said:
I believe that the Textus Receptus is more accurately translated than any of the modern version that we currently have.

On what basis do you believe this?

Scott 8-)

Solo said:
Timothy,
First of all, I find it disrespectful for anyone to call a believer a KJVer, or a KJV-only-er, Hypocrite, or any other name besides their given, user id, or believer/Christian. I have found the NIV to be a false representation of God's Word, and I will stand by that as a warning given me by the Holy Spirit. If you or any other have a problem with me not respecting that translation after many, many instances of its inaccuracy has been shown time and time again, then so be it. I threw the NIV in the trash because it was mine to do what I thought most important. I also threw many expensive rock and roll albums in the trash after I was saved. Whatever satan thinks is good, I think is trash. Garbage belongs in the garbage.

So God was wrong to use the NIV as a tool to bring people to His Son? I've time and time agreed that the NIV IS an inferrior translation compared to an NASB or KJV. That does not mean God can't use it for His glory, as he has over and over again. He's even used The Message for his Glory. Which means, as much as I feel it's a disgrace to God, God has chosen to work that disgrace to his glory. Therefore, I'm not going to just throw a copy in the trash.

So the NIV didn't meet your spiritual need for a clearest possible truth. That's fine, and I myself can't really study from this translation too deeply. However, all it would have taken was to give that NIV to a lost soul. You may never have to seen it again, but God could have used the weaker translation for his glory. However, there is a very good chance that bible is now in some land fill, and it become much more difficult for God to use it.

As Much as I distane the Message, I'm not going to throw one out. I'd by a KJV or NLT to go with it, and hand it to a lost soul. From there, who know's what God can do.

I hold little respect for those that have not investigated the garbage contained in the NIV and TNIV, and call those that read and study the KJV names. When you can tell me that you have investigated the NIV as thoroughly as I have and still consider it to be a good translation, then we can talk. Until then please call me Solo, Michael, believer, brother, or Christian.

I HAVE investigated the NIV. I doubt as much as you have, because there's only so much a college student can do. I will again remind those who read this that the NIV is Inferrior to a KJV or NASB for the purpose of deep biblical study. While the KJV has it's flaws, the NIV has more. The TNIV is even worse than the NIV.

However, I do indeed consider it a good translation. Why? Because it is a tool the Father has Given us to use for his kingdom. Just in case it's not clear yet, I too would rather use a NASB or KJV for all things Biblical. However, to deny what God has accomplished through His servants equipped with an NIV is insane. Who are you or I to tell God He can't use the NIV to his Glory?

PS. I don't consider the NIV, the TNIV, the Living Bible, the Good News Bible, and others the Word of God. I believe that the Textus Receptus is more accurately translated than any of the modern version that we currently have.

Michael

If you want to limit God's voice that way, than go ahead. Accuracy doesn't save, Christ does.

Suppose you meet a child who has an NIV. This child does not know Christ, but he is eager to learn more of Him. He asks you to show him in his bible things about Christ. Are you honestly going to deny this Child the message he can understand, just because the NIV is inferrior?

Look, Solo. I most readily grab an NASB. I could teach the child in NASB terms, but I don't know if that will confuse him or not. I'd rather not face that stumbling block. That is why Paul taught us that we can not let our liberty, or for us our freedom to prefer a certain translation, cause a weaker person to stumble. Paul became what the lost needed, not what he prefered. 1 Corinthians 9

Michael, I do apologize for such a harsh approach. Parts of my response were immature. However, I pray that you can see what I've been led to see.

asb4God said:
Ok, how's this:

Bad monk, bad!
Bad solo, bad!

:wink:

Scott 8-)
How about YOU can the tiresome rhetoric and argumentive attitude? It's growing very old very quickly. :-?

Actually, I thought it was a funny way to illustrate what you were saying we should do. Isn't that what you were saying?

And shouldn't you inform your friends to "can the rhetoric" of suggesting that NIV users are being used by Satan and are barely Christians? I haven't seen you do this yet.

Time to utilize the same standards across the board, Vic.

Scott 8-)

asb4God said:
Actually, I thought it was a funny way to illustrate what you were saying we should do. Isn't that what you were saying?

And shouldn't you inform your friends to "can the rhetoric" of suggesting that NIV users are being used by Satan and are barely Christians? I haven't seen you do this yet.

Time to utilize the same standards across the board, Vic.

Scott 8-)

I don't care what translation you use to read this scripture, but read it. Ephesians 4:29

And if that was aimed at me, just what is unwholesome about challenging fairness? Did I suggest someone wasn't a Christian because they use a different version of the Bible or have I simply challenged others to demonstrate objectively that their claims are valid?

Scott 8-)

Back