Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Love Judges But Does not Condemn.

Tenchi

John 8:3-11
3 The scribes and the Pharisees *brought a woman caught in adultery, and having set her in the center of the court,
4 they *said to Him, "Teacher, this woman has been caught in adultery, in the very act.
5 "Now in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women; what then do You say?"
6 They were saying this, testing Him, so that they might have grounds for accusing Him. But Jesus stooped down and with His finger wrote on the ground.
7 But when they persisted in asking Him, He straightened up, and said to them, "He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her."
8 Again He stooped down and wrote on the ground.
9 When they heard it, they began to go out one by one, beginning with the older ones, and He was left alone, and the woman, where she was, in the center of the court.
10 Straightening up, Jesus said to her, "Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?"
11 She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "I do not condemn you, either. Go. From now on sin no more."

A few days ago, I witnessed an exchange between a prostitute and another, older woman in which the prostitute, having admitted to her prostitution to the older gal, attempted to head-off any moral judgment by quoting Jesus. “He who is without sin may cast the first stone.” The older woman immediately assured the prostitute that she was making no moral assessment of the prostitute’s promiscuous means of living and would never dream of doing so.

It frustrated me to watch this exchange between two people obviously seriously ignorant of the context and meaning of the biblical quotation to which the prostitute had appealed. The prostitute was using Christ’s words as a screen for her immorality and the older woman saw his words as a prohibition upon making any moral judgment of the prostitute’s sinful sexuality. Both badly misunderstood Christ’s words and so used them in support of what Christ would have flatly condemned.

In the “don’t-throw-stones” story, a prostitute had been brought to Christ by some of the religious leaders of the day who, citing the law of Moses, told Jesus she must be stoned to death. They hoped, it seemed, to catch him in a trap, accusing him whether he approved stoning the prostitute or not. If he approved, he would have put himself over Roman law and could then be accused of being an enemy of Rome; and if he denied Moses’ law, he would stand in defiance of God and could be accused of rejecting His commands.

When Jesus slipped past the trap of the Pharisees and scribes by making his famous “You who are without sin” remark, he did not imply that the prostitute’s conduct was morally neutral. Instead, he clearly indicated that her prostitution was sin when he said “You who are without sin” to the Pharisees, pointing out that, being guilty of sin themselves, they ought not to condemn the prostitute’s sin. The Pharisees scattered, silently acknowledging their own sinfulness and the hypocrisy of condemning a fellow sinner.

Jesus, though, had something to say to the prostitute before she went away. He assured her that he didn’t condemn her but he also directly and plainly declared her prostitution a sin, commanding her to cease her prostituting. Many today would think that such a command was, in itself, a condemnation of the prostitute. Obviously, Jesus did not think so. What was the distinction he was making, though, between declaring a person’s conduct sin and condemning them for their sin?

In order to judge that a thing is sin, one has to make a moral assessment of it, comparing it to some standard of morality, which, for Christians, is God’s Moral Law (Ten Commandments, etc.). If, however, one’s moral standard is one’s own moral preferences and opinions, if the moral standard is entirely subjective, then all that one can legitimately do when someone else behaves “immorally,” is assert one’s preference and opinion. Such a purely subjective moral standard provides no authoritative ground for “ought” or “should” moral statements, however. It is likely under such a view of morality that the prostitute and the older woman I mentioned at the beginning of this article were both operating, which is why they were so quick to forbid a moral standard on the one hand, and to abandon any such standard on the other.

In sharp contrast, Jesus confronted the prostitute’s sin very directly, able to do so within the context of the objective moral standard set out by God in the Mosaic Law. Against such a moral standard, the prostitute was in blatant contravention and she knew it as well as Jesus did. When Jesus said “sin no more” to the prostitute, he was not asserting a mere subjective preference or opinion, judging and condemning her on entirely personal grounds. No, he was appealing to the highest and most authoritative Moral Law that exists and on the basis of her divergence from it, declaring her sin what it was.

How was it not condemning for Jesus to do this? How could he point directly at her sin and call it sin and not be guilty of condemning her? Well, this question assumes the premise that to identify sin as such is to condemn the sinner, that the two things are synonymous. But they aren’t. To condemn the prostitute, Jesus would have had to put her beyond redemption (and perhaps, then, would have agreed to her being stoned). But his “go and sin no more” revealed that he did not think the woman beyond moral reformation, deserving only of destruction. Though a sinner, for the prostitute there was still hope for change, there was still the opportunity to abandon wickedness and pursue holy living.

But the prostitute must have felt judged by Jesus, ashamed and guilty! That’s not nice! It’s not loving to make others feel this way! Not so. Confronting the prostitute about her sin was the kindest, most loving, thing Jesus could have done. Her sin would destroy her, it would bring corruption and death to her and those participating in her sin. (Ezekiel 18:20; Romans 6:23; James 1:15; Galatians 6:7-8) Good feelings about herself were no more important in the prostitute’s interaction with Jesus than they are when an oncologist tells a person they have cancer. The truth in both cases dissolves good feelings but is absolutely vital, nonetheless.

And so, when the prostitute and the old woman I watched abused Jesus’ words, using them to protect what Jesus called sin, they revealed only that they were profoundly ignorant of what his words meant. “He who is without sin may cast the first stone” is not a defense against identifying sin, but a ward against making sinners irredeemable, worthy only of destruction. The old woman should have told the prostitute, as Jesus did, that her prostitution was sin and that she ought not to do it any longer. It is what Truth and godly love, the love of Christ, demand.

It is for God to judge and condemn and for us to bring the Gospel of God's mercy and grace through Christ Jesus to the world. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God, but if one refuses to hear what is preached to them then they have condemned themselves.

It is for God to judge and condemn and for us to bring the Gospel of God's mercy and grace through Christ Jesus to the world. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God, but if one refuses to hear what is preached to them then they have condemned themselves.

It is God's place to condemn the wicked, yes, but in His word He repeatedly commands His children, explicitly and implicitly, to judge wickedness, to judge right from wrong, to judge truth from falsehood, to judge spiritual immaturity from spiritual maturity, to judge the saved from the lost, and so on.

John 7:24 (NASB)
24 "Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment."

Luke 12:56-57 (NASB)
56 "You hypocrites! You know how to analyze the appearance of the earth and the sky, but why do you not analyze this present time?
57 "And why do you not even on your own initiative judge what is right?

1 Corinthians 5:9-13 (NASB)
9 I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people;
10 I did not at all mean with the immoral people of this world, or with the covetous and swindlers, or with idolaters, for then you would have to go out of the world.
11 But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so-called brother if he is an immoral person, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler—not even to eat with such a one.
12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within the church?
13 But those who are outside, God judges. Remove the wicked man from among yourselves.

1 Corinthians 10:14-15 (NASB)
14 Therefore, my beloved, flee from idolatry.
15 I speak as to wise men; you judge what I say.

2 Corinthians 13:5-6 (NASB)
5 Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you—unless indeed you fail the test?
6 But I trust that you will realize that we ourselves do not fail the test.

2 Timothy 4:2 (NASB)
2 preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction.

Titus 2:15 (NASB)
15 These things speak and exhort and reprove with all authority. Let no one disregard you.

2 Peter 2:1-2 (NASB)
1 But false prophets also arose among the people, just as there will also be false teachers among you, who will secretly introduce destructive heresies, even denying the Master who bought them, bringing swift destruction upon themselves.
2 Many will follow their sensuality, and because of them the way of the truth will be maligned;

Judgement and discernment often are used synonymously in Scripture. In God's word, "judgement" means to distinguish things from one another, to discern the morally-good from the morally-bad, truth from lies, etc. In today's North American culture, however, judgment is a stand-in for condemnation of a person where they are relegated to the ranks of the irredeemable, destined to, and deserving of, eternal damnation.

The cultural rejection of this sort of "judgement" forbids all discernment, however, all thinking that distinguishes good from evil, sin from righteousness, truth from lies, and so on. Christians who embrace the secular culture's opposition to this kind of "judgement" quickly find themselves at odds with their own faith and with the God at the center of their faith who is constantly judging sinners and their sin, without qualm declaring in His word one thing right and good and another an abomination and deserving of eternal punishment, and who commands His own to do likewise.

Every Christian must make judgements between a whole host of things every day, standing against false ideas such as "there are no men and women," or that "love accepts everything," or that "racism is okay if its toward white folk," or that "group identity is more important than individual conduct, than a person's character, qualifications, and conduct," and so on. The Christian must identify sin for what it is and expose and oppose it, not celebrate sodomy, or pedophilic grooming of children, or the denial of God's design of males and females, or the widespread acceptance of pre-marital sex, or whatever new evil the secular culture decides to normalize.

It is God's place to condemn the wicked, yes, but in His word He repeatedly commands His children, explicitly and implicitly, to judge wickedness, to judge right from wrong, to judge truth from falsehood, to judge spiritual immaturity from spiritual maturity, to judge the saved from the lost, and so on.
I agree, but only God knows those who are truly His own. We can only judge them by their fruits, Matthew 7:15-20

I agree, but only God knows those who are truly His own. We can only judge them by their fruits, Matthew 7:15-20

Hmmm... Not to be argumentative, but I'm not so sure this is true. Consider what Paul the apostle wrote:

5 Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves! Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you—unless indeed you fail the test?

Paul spoke here of testing and examining oneself in order to see if one passed or failed the test of being in the faith, that is, of being saved. This implies an objective, authoritative and discernible standard or criteria against which one can assess oneself, not mere feeling, or even pious activity.

But not only does Paul urge his readers to test themselves and make sure they're really born-again, but he says to them that they could examine himself, as well, and see that he, too, passed the test. What Paul wrote above seems very much to challenge the notion that only God knows who are His.

A few years ago now, I listened to an Iranian Christian telling of his Christian "cell-group," his secret church community of about fifteen people, that, under the constant threat of imprisonment and death from the Muslim authorities, met very, very carefully. Each person joining their group had to be extremely stringently vetted before being allowed to join, the fruit of the indwelling Holy Spirit plainly in evidence in their life. It was often many months over which a prospective new addition to the Iranian church was observed by the one who had led them to the Lord, their claim to conversion tested against the biblical criteria marking a genuine second, spiritual birth. Like Paul, these Iranian believers understood that it was possible to see evidence of the indwelling Holy Spirit in the life of one claiming to be born-again. And they had very high motivation to look for such evidence in one another.

In North America, in contrast, the idea that there is some concrete, objective standard by which Christian believers can assess themselves - and others - concerning the claim to being spiritually regenerated is abhorrent. Mostly, I think, this attitude comes from the relativistic, hyper-individual-focused secular culture in which they live. Increasingly, in North American society, nothing is more evil than to fail to affirm whatever the individual decides they want to be true of themselves. If it's a man thinking he is woman (or vice versa), or a morbidly obese woman thinking she's beautiful and healthy, or a pedophile thinking his perversion is "normal," or a white woman claiming she's black, or a man thinking sex with other men is morally-acceptable, society must not merely tolerate such things but affirm and applaud them. To deny these claims is to commit perhaps the greatest evil of contemporary North American culture: denial of the individual's (subjective) "truth."

But Paul's words above stomp rather directly and hard upon this sort of thinking. And rightly so, I think.

Hmmm... Not to be argumentative, but I'm not so sure this is true. Consider what Paul the apostle wrote:

Paul spoke here of testing and examining oneself in order to see if one passed or failed the test of being in the faith, that is, of being saved. This implies an objective, authoritative and discernible standard or criteria against which one can assess oneself, not mere feeling, or even pious activity.

But not only does Paul urge his readers to test themselves and make sure they're really born-again, but he says to them that they could examine himself, as well, and see that he, too, passed the test. What Paul wrote above seems very much to challenge the notion that only God knows who are His.

A few years ago now, I listened to an Iranian Christian telling of his Christian "cell-group," his secret church community of about fifteen people, that, under the constant threat of imprisonment and death from the Muslim authorities, met very, very carefully. Each person joining their group had to be extremely stringently vetted before being allowed to join, the fruit of the indwelling Holy Spirit plainly in evidence in their life. It was often many months over which a prospective new addition to the Iranian church was observed by the one who had led them to the Lord, their claim to conversion tested against the biblical criteria marking a genuine second, spiritual birth. Like Paul, these Iranian believers understood that it was possible to see evidence of the indwelling Holy Spirit in the life of one claiming to be born-again. And they had very high motivation to look for such evidence in one another.

In North America, in contrast, the idea that there is some concrete, objective standard by which Christian believers can assess themselves - and others - concerning the claim to being spiritually regenerated is abhorrent. Mostly, I think, this attitude comes from the relativistic, hyper-individual-focused secular culture in which they live. Increasingly, in North American society, nothing is more evil than to fail to affirm whatever the individual decides they want to be true of themselves. If it's a man thinking he is woman (or vice versa), or a morbidly obese woman thinking she's beautiful and healthy, or a pedophile thinking his perversion is "normal," or a white woman claiming she's black, or a man thinking sex with other men is morally-acceptable, society must not merely tolerate such things but affirm and applaud them. To deny these claims is to commit perhaps the greatest evil of contemporary North American culture: denial of the individual's (subjective) "truth."

But Paul's words above stomp rather directly and hard upon this sort of thinking. And rightly so, I think.
I already said I agreed with you, but just wanted to add that we can only judge other's who claim to be a Christian by the fruits they display as only God knows the heart of those who are His own.

2Tim 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
2Tim 3:6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
2Tim 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

I already said I agreed with you, but just wanted to add that we can only judge other's who claim to be a Christian by the fruits they display as only God knows the heart of those who are His own.

I'm not sure what distinction you're trying to make here... If I'm behaving in a way that yields the fruit of unbelief and wickedness in my life, I've given clear evidence that, at the very least, my life is being lived in rebellion to the God I claim is my Heavenly Father. If I live this way persistently and carelessly, unconcerned about my sin, Scripture makes it pretty clear that I am not actually saved. In either case, the resolution of my sinful life would be essentially the same: repentance, confession and submission. Why, then, bother to caveat that "we can't ever know the true state-of-affairs in a person's heart"? If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Luke 6:45 (NASB)
45 "The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart.

Matthew 15:19 (NASB)
19 "For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders.

2 Timothy 2:22 (NASB)
22 ...pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.

I'm not sure what distinction you're trying to make here... If I'm behaving in a way that yields the fruit of unbelief and wickedness in my life, I've given clear evidence that, at the very least, my life is being lived in rebellion to the God I claim is my Heavenly Father. If I live this way persistently and carelessly, unconcerned about my sin, Scripture makes it pretty clear that I am not actually saved. In either case, the resolution of my sinful life would be essentially the same: repentance, confession and submission. Why, then, bother to caveat that "we can't ever know the true state-of-affairs in a person's heart"? If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

Luke 6:45 (NASB)
45 "The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart.

Matthew 15:19 (NASB)
19 "For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders.

2 Timothy 2:22 (NASB)
22 ...pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, with those who call on the Lord from a pure heart.
I'm not making any distinctions other than all we can do is judge others by the good or evil they display to know if they are of God or not of God.

Mat 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
Mat 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
Mat 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
Mat 7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
Mat 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Mat 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Back