Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

loving?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

shad

Some people believe if your comment is offensive you are not being loving.

Jesus' salvation is offensive to secular world. It is secular concept to believe you should not be offensive when you defend your faith.

It seems that some people here are devoting to rebuke all offensive comments by saying "not loving". It is just flabbergasting to me.

Just make sure that it's the gospel that is the real offense, not the presentation of it.

Some years ago, some college kids got the bright idea of the "Jesus Bomb". The "Jesus Bomb" was a paper with a "4 step" gospel presentation on one side and some verses on the other side. The paper was then wadded up, and was thrown at people walking by.

Surprisingly enough, some folks really took offense at having wadded up paper thrown at them as they were walking by. The not-so-bright college kids tried to write it off that it was the gospel that was the true offense, not the fact that they were essentially assaulting people by throwing litter at them.

There are also those so-called "ministers" of the gospel who like to do things like hang out outside of gay bars and shout the "truth", things like "GOD HATES FAGGOTS" and "YOU'RE GOING TO BURN IN HELL" at the patrons of the bar. Again, they try to excuse their rude and offensive behavior by saying that it's the gospel that is the offensive, not their yelling at people who are just going about their own business.

Then there are those misguided sorts that try to excuse their name-calling and mud-slinging by pointing out that Jesus called the Pharisees vipers. This would OK, if they walked the walk that Jesus walked (are free of all sin). Unfortunately , too many who try the old "Jesus called people vipers so it's OK for me to do so as well" are not accurately reading the hearts of their fellow man (something only Jesus can do), but rather are just blasting away at those who are of a different opinion than them.

A lot of that happens around here. Too much actually. Way, way too much. We are to speak the truth in love. A loving presentation of the truth can win hearts. We are told all over the place in the scriptures to give a soft answer, to go to an erring brother in private, to be gentle as doves. And far too often when harsh words stir up anger that is blasted out on the open forum that causes dissension and even more mud-slinging, those speaking the harsh words try to hide behind the "truth is offensive" routine.

Yeah, try that one on God. :shame

btw, shad, don't take a thing I said up here as being directed at you personally by any means. I just wanted to add a contrast to your words, on a subject that has, more than once, caused me to rethink even remaining a member at this site.

Handy,

I started this thread because it seems to me that those people are just trying to shut people's mouths from exposing any ugly truth. Satan hates his schemes and evil deeds being exposed.

Yes, I agree some preachers make massages just plain offensive and that's not what I am talking about.

There is a fine line between being honest and being downright ugly which more often than not tends to be crossed here a lot a CF when it comes to a difference in opinion, demonination, interpretation, etc.

LostLamb said:
There is a fine line between being honest and being downright ugly which more often than not tends to be crossed here a lot a CF when it comes to a difference in opinion, demonination, interpretation, etc.

I understand some are plain rude. But some members are going beyond rude when they criticize everybody's tone.

It is just getting old.

shad said:
LostLamb said:

I understand some are plain rude. But some members are going beyond rude when they criticize everybody's tone.

It is just getting old.

I can understand. Think it is getting old on both ends. The insults and otherwise people having to speak up in general about things staying clean.

LostLamb said:
I can understand. Think it is getting old on both ends. The insults and otherwise people having to speak up in general about things staying clean.

It seems we have different concepts of "insulting."

Dont you think you should leave the differences to Jesus?

I am not sure you and I can see eye to eye on this. So I will bow out politely. No point in either of us getting heated over this.

I just wanted show my point of view on being loving. I hope you dont think you are the only person who knows how to be loving and everyone else is wrong.

shad said:

Jesus' salvation is offensive to secular world. It is secular concept to believe you should not be offensive when you defend your faith.

It seems that some people here are devoting to rebuke all offensive comments by saying "not loving". It is just flabbergasting to me.

There is a difference between being offensive (in the sense that the truth offends) and being unloving. Jesus was never unloving.

A person is being unloving when he uses words that are demeaning or patronizing in nature.

JoJo said:
shad said:

There is a difference between being offensive (in the sense that the truth offends) and being unloving. Jesus was never unloving.

A person is being unloving when he uses words that are demeaning or patronizing in nature.

There is no clear way to determine whether people are loving or not. Yes, some are plain rude and obnoxious but many are not so clear cut. You should let Jesus judge which is which. I am talking about those who are not so clear. There is abuse of using this word to make accusation, IMHO.

Depends on the comment, Ive gotten some comments from brothers/sisters on my posts that are just plain stupid lol. I got this guy giving his 2 cents on how my threads idea was incorrect. He said "who is the best pastor currently alive is a question that none of us can judge" ... lets analyse this comment was it necessary? how did this comment help out spiritually ? why did he even take the time to go into a thread that was made to give positive feedback on men and women (that sacrifice so much for the love of Christ) to try to shut it down? does he go to every thread and find mistakes or concepts that are not to his liking and post negative replies? is that his ministry ? does he think someone will give him an online high five for his witty posts ?

Ive seen others with the same style; I try to build people up not bring them down :amen

shad said:

Contrary to popular belief 'offensive' does not necessarily = 'truth'.
Some times offensive just offensive...no truth required...

I have seen times when the truth is so offensive that threads get pulled before they even have a chance to take off. So no, it's not really about anyone's tone.

There are threads in these forums that ask stupid questions with obvious answers that go on and on and on till I just would like to see them disappear. It's like people don't want the truth they just want to debate the obvious. You'd think that a couple of scriptures would put an end to any one of these threads but they never do. It's like people are insane or something.

Love? In these forums? Not hardly. Love is the truth and the truth is love. They don't want you to get too close to that in many of these "Christian" forums.

ronniechoate34 said:
There are threads in these forums that ask stupid questions with obvious answers that go on and on and on till I just would like to see them disappear.

I agree 100% about this. Yes, I admit there are some obvious obnoxious posters.

Some are with too many unnecessary words flooding with too many posts.

follower of Christ said:
Contrary to popular belief 'offensive' does not necessarily = 'truth'.
Some times offensive just offensive...no truth required...

:nod

And, then there are those who have simply come to a wrong conclusion. Nothing wrong with that, we're all human, we're all subject to being wrong about things. But, when corrected or at least disagreed with, then it suddenly becomes, "You just can't handle the TRUTH!!!!!"

Humility. So seldom shown. So often needed.

shad said:
There is no clear way to determine whether people are loving or not. Yes, some are plain rude and obnoxious but many are not so clear cut. You should let Jesus judge which is which. I am talking about those who are not so clear. There is abuse of using this word to make accusation, IMHO.

Yes, there is a clear way to determine whether people are loving or not. And it's outlined in 1 Corinthians 13:4-8. When you see people pretty much doing the opposite of these guidelines of what love is (whether done subtly or outright), then you can assume they are being unloving.

ronniechoate34 said:
Some people don't want the truth. It's obvious by the amount of lies that people are swallowing on a daily basis. It's sad.

And some people think every word that flows from their lips is truth, and that is just sad.

The reality is motivation determines what your comment means. A comment spoken with love can cut to the quick, especially if it's God's word. But a comment can also be spoken in hatred and in anger. In the end it's not me or the other guy at the end of the internet that you have to be worried about. My opinion, as well as yours, doesn't count in the grand scheme of things. I firmly believe that we will all have to give account what we have or have not done for God with what he gave us, that includes our actions and speech. There is a reason the Bible is a double edged sword, it can cut for good as well as bad.

God said:
19 So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; 20for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God.
James 1:19

In truth there are many here are quick to post, and it can and does come out wrong (I'll step aside from the issue of it actually being truth or not). There are some that are so caught up with how right they are they have to post a comment in every thread to show how wise and Righteous they are.

Jesus said:
34 Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. 35 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things. 36 But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. 37 For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."
Mathew 12:34-37

That's something to think about when you hit the reply button. It's halted my comments more then once. Your words matter, your words as a Christian carry a degree of power. They should not be thrown around idly. The true question is what fruit do your comments bring with them?

Timothy said:
ronniechoate34 said:
Some people don't want the truth. It's obvious by the amount of lies that people are swallowing on a daily basis. It's sad.

And some people think every word that flows from their lips is truth, and that is just sad.

The Word of God determines the truth for me. I can see on these forums that many people largely ignore the scriptures coupled with the facts. They compliment each other very well. I have seen many people present the truth about religion and the world in general while using the scriptures to illustrate their points. We've got to get the truth from somewhere, God actually created teachers so do believe that there are people who have the truth and we all would do well to listen to them, even if what they are telling us does not sound anything but convicting.

Re:3:19: As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

Do you think people always take kindly to correction?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back