Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study Luke 18:18-19

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
J

Johny

Luke 18:18-19 A certain ruler asked him, "Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is goodâ€â€except God alone.

What did Jesus mean by this? What does it take to be a good person? Was Jesus good? If he was, then what does that mean?

Look at this from historical perspective. Only Gospel of John claims Jesus was God. When you start to understand that Jesus has never claimed his divinity, but it's been added later, by so called church fathers - you will also understand the meaning of this verse.

Jesus explains to this man that he (Jesus) has sinned in the past and only sinless being can be labeled 'good' because such term should describe whole person, his past, prescence and future - rather than prescence.

He also clearly states that only such a being is God (clearing it up he doesn't view himself as God).

1 Peter 2:22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth.

1 John 3:5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

Hebrews 4:15 For we have not an High Priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew not sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

KaerbEmEvig said:
Look at this from historical perspective. Only Gospel of John claims Jesus was God. When you start to understand that Jesus has never claimed his divinity, but it's been added later, by so called church fathers - you will also understand the meaning of this verse.

Jesus explains to this man that he (Jesus) has sinned in the past and only sinless being can be labeled 'good' because such term should describe whole person, his past, prescence and future - rather than prescence.

He also clearly states that only such a being is God (clearing it up he doesn't view himself as God).

Your thinking is obviously skewed. Jesus does not say he is not good. He only asks them why they say he is good. The question does not force the answer. He wants them to recognize him as God, but they do not see it.

It cannot be said that only God is sinless as your post implies. Adam and Eve were not gods before the fall. Neither are the angels gods. Therefore your logic is in error.

Here is what the Navarre Bible commentary has to say on the same event in Mark 10:

17-18. As Matthew 19:16 makes clear, the young man approaches Jesus as
an acknowledged teacher of the spiritual life, in the hope that He will
guide him towards eternal life. It is not that Christ rejects the
praise He is offered: He wants to show the depth of the young man's
words: He is good, not because He is a good man but because He is God,
who is Goodness Itself. So, the young man has spoken the truth, but he
has not gone far enough. Hence the enigmatic nature of Jesus' reply
and its profundity. The young man's approach is upright but too human;
Jesus tries to get him to see things from an entirely supernatural
point of view. If this man is to really attain eternal life he must
see in Christ not just a good master but the divine Savior, the only
Master, the only one who, because He is God, is Goodness Itself. Cf.
note on Mt. 19:16-22.

Johny said:
Luke 18:18-19 A certain ruler asked him, "Good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?" "Why do you call me good?" Jesus answered. "No one is goodâ€â€except God alone.

What did Jesus mean by this? What does it take to be a good person? Was Jesus good? If he was, then what does that mean?

Johny
To understand this section you must go back to verse 15.
This incident reinforces what we have just had before us, namely, that the humility of a little child is necessary for entrance into the kingdom of God. Mothers crowded around the Lord Jesus with their infants in order that they might receive blessing from Him. His disciples were annoyed by this intrusion into the Savior’s time. But Jesus rebuked them, and tenderly called ... the little children to Himself, saying, “Of such is the kingdom of God.†Verse 16 answers the question, “What happens to little children when they die?†The answer is that they go to heaven. The Lord clearly said “of such is the kingdom of God.â€Â
Children can be saved at a very tender age. That age probably varies in the case of individual children, but the fact remains that any child, no matter how young, who wishes to come to Jesus should be permitted to do so, and encouraged in his faith.
Little children do not need to become adults in order to be saved, but adults do need the simple faith and humility of a little child in order to enter God’s kingdom.
18:18, 19 This section illustrates the case of a man who would not receive the kingdom of God as a little child. One day a certain ruler came to the Lord Jesus, addressing Him as Good Teacher, and asking what he must do in order to inherit eternal life. The Savior first of all questioned him on the use of the title good Teacher. Jesus reminded him that only God is good. Our Lord was not denying that He was God, but He was trying to lead the ruler to confess that fact. If He was good, then He must be God, since only God is essentially good.

Jesus was sinless and he could not sin because he is God
KaerbEmEvig
My Lord Jesus Christ REBUKE you for your heretical statement.

I knew the answers to my questions. I was hoping people would look past their own preconceived opinions on Jesus being God and read the scripture for what it is. I guess that didn't work.

Thessolian and jgredilne: I couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you.

Your thinking is obviously skewed. Jesus does not say he is not good. He only asks them why they say he is good. The question does not force the answer. He wants them to recognize him as God, but they do not see it.

This is your interpretation only - overinterpretation to be exact. You add the meaning that is not there, thus your post being a manipulation of the bibilical text.

It cannot be said that only God is sinless as your post implies. Adam and Eve were not gods before the fall. Neither are the angels gods. Therefore your logic is in error.

Adam and Eve sinned, didn't they? Angles are part of God, his emanation (read Kabbalah) - this is why their names are Rafa-El (God heals), Uri-El (light of God), Micha-El (wrath of God) and so on.

1 Peter 2:22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth.

This letter has been proven to not be written by Peter (not even his disciple for clarity).

1 John 3:5 And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.

Written between 90 and 120 by many (around 3, which is alot seeing it's a short book) Christian authors - not creditible.

Hebrews 4:15 For we have not an High Priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

Pseudoepigraphia - not written by apostoles.

2 Corinthians 5:21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew not sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.

Written by Paul - according to Tanakh - a false prophet.

These quotes are worthless, in other words.

He cured someone? The Lord of the Shabbat can do anything he wants on the Shabbat. :-?

1. Messiah is a man, not a deity.

2. Messiah has to obey the Sabbath.

3. Messiah will not come for salvation of humanity.

4. Messiah will not be recognised by doin' miracles (that's what false prophets will do).

By looking at Tanakh teachings - you can clearly see that not only Jesus is not the Messiah, but that he also broke Mitzvot on purpose.

KaerbEmEvig said:
He cured someone? The Lord of the Shabbat can do anything he wants on the Shabbat. :-?

4. Messiah will not be recognised by doin' miracles (that's what false prophets will do).

By looking at Tanakh teachings - you can clearly see that not only Jesus is not the Messiah, but that he also broke Mitzvot on purpose.

Another Jewish unbeliever trying to impress somebody. What a crying shame such a one doesn't have anything better to do than brazenly attack Jesus, Jehovah God Almighty. Just like his forefathers, a child of the devil.

Solo said:
KaerbEmEvig said:

Another Jewish unbeliever trying to impress somebody. What a crying shame such a one doesn't have anything better to do than brazenly attack Jesus, Jehovah God Almighty. Just like his forefathers, a child of the devil.

You lost the argument when you couldn't refrein from insults. Using insults shows that you noticed you lost your case.

I'm not a Jew, sorry. You just look like a fool with all these inults about Jews, devil and such. Is your IQ below the level we call idiocy? - just a rough guess.

Administrator: Where is our post blocker? (and spell ckeck? :fadein:)

---John

PS: And the site is still very slow even without these being used. Thought that you might be elimating things to see if that might be the trouble?

Solo isn't using insults. He's telling the truth. He's being bold for the Lord Jesus Christ, our God.

Kaerb, please tell me why you chose to neglect certain parts of the Bible? Isn't the entire Bible the Word of God or only the parts that you chose?

Johny said:
Solo isn't using insults. He's telling the truth. He's being bold for the Lord Jesus Christ, our God.

Kaerb, please tell me why you chose to neglect certain parts of the Bible? Isn't the entire Bible the Word of God or only the parts that you chose?

Bible as in NT are not the Word of God, Tanakh is. I see this not even being a Jew. Books that promote idol-worship, which believeing Jesus is God is, cannot be the Word of God because it goes against what is written in Tanakh.

I provided historical point of view on the Bible - you can believe in any fairy tale you want, just don't go around and claim it is the word of God or otherwise I will do the same in relation to Flying Spagetti Monster God.

"Another Jewish unbeliever trying to impress somebody. What a crying shame such a one doesn't have anything better to do than brazenly attack Jesus, Jehovah God Almighty. Just like his forefathers, a child of the devil."

That's not being bold - that's being silly.

KaerbEmEvig said:
I'm not a Jew, sorry.

Great! I didn't think Jews were as stupid as that. Thanks for restoring my understanding that there is still hope for the unbelieving Jews! :biggrin

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back