Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Luke 7:1-3

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Luke 7:1-3 King James Version (KJV)
7 Now when he had ended all his sayings in the audience of the people, he entered into Capernaum.
2 And a certain centurion's servant, who was dear unto him, was sick, and ready to die.
3 And when he heard of Jesus, he sent unto him the elders of the Jews, beseeching him that he would come and heal his servant.

Luke 7:1-3 Revised Standard Version (RSV)
Jesus Heals a Centurion’s Servant

7 After he had ended all his sayings in the hearing of the people he entered Caper′na-um. 2 Now a centurion had a slave who was dear to him, who was sick and at the point of death. 3 When he heard of Jesus, he sent to him elders of the Jews, asking him to come and heal his slave.

Revised Standard Version (RSV) Revised Standard Version of the Bible, copyright © 1946, 1952, and 1971 the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

1 Jesus finished speaking and then moved where God wanted Him. Sometimes we are to stop and share the gospel but then come a time for us to get up and move on with what God wants us to further do.

2 It mentions the slave being dear to him to show that he didn’t just want the slave to be healed so he can could have the slave serve but because he cared for the slave, intent of the heart always matters to the Lord.

3 So He looked to Jesus for healing often times today with everything we have access to Jesus sadly becomes the last place we go but He should always be first and if we see doctors for health or someone else for something else then going to Him first then His hand will be thru it all and if nothing changes then He will stand by us the whole way as we need Him to.

Good morning clark thompson. I personally haven't found God neglect in His care for me in whichever manner, or whether I used or didn't use doctors, if I'm understanding your question correctly.

I continue applying this following scripture maybe even beyond its purpose, but it gives me surety of His love for us even when we don't do things the same.
Rom 14:3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him.

And then Heb 13:5 . . . I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.
Blessings in Christ Jesus. :wave2

Luke 7:1-3 King James Version (KJV)
7 Now when he had ended all his sayings in the audience of the people, he entered into Capernaum.
2 And a certain centurion's servant, who was dear unto him, was sick, and ready to die.
3 And when he heard of Jesus, he sent unto him the elders of the Jews, beseeching him that he would come and heal his servant.

Luke 7:1-3 Revised Standard Version (RSV)
Jesus Heals a Centurion’s Servant

7 After he had ended all his sayings in the hearing of the people he entered Caper′na-um. 2 Now a centurion had a slave who was dear to him, who was sick and at the point of death. 3 When he heard of Jesus, he sent to him elders of the Jews, asking him to come and heal his slave.

Revised Standard Version (RSV) Revised Standard Version of the Bible, copyright © 1946, 1952, and 1971 the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

1 Jesus finished speaking and then moved where God wanted Him. Sometimes we are to stop and share the gospel but then come a time for us to get up and move on with what God wants us to further do.

2 It mentions the slave being dear to him to show that he didn’t just want the slave to be healed so he can could have the slave serve but because he cared for the slave, intent of the heart always matters to the Lord.

3 So He looked to Jesus for healing often times today with everything we have access to Jesus sadly becomes the last place we go but He should always be first and if we see doctors for health or someone else for something else then going to Him first then His hand will be thru it all and if nothing changes then He will stand by us the whole way as we need Him to.

As far as it relates to the passage itself, I simply see a man of great faith - in fact so much so that Jesus said He had not found such in all of Israel. Of course, we find out about that later on in the story. :)

I do think that we should seek God for healing, but don't let our 20/20 vision distort the passage. That Centurion was simply using the faith that Jesus was able to heal, and knew He could. The passage for me is not so much that the Centurion thought first to seek Jesus healing for his servant, but that the Centurion heard that Jesus could - and believed He could.

I think the same as you on your points. They are very well thought out.

One thing I just thought of. We do not know if the Centurion was a "believer" or not, which is interesting when you think about it. But here is the point. Those who were around him, when they heard that his slave was sick, told him about Jesus. They obviously told him enough about Jesus that the Centurion knew that Jesus had the authority to only speak and heal someone.

People who are not believers will not instinctively turn to Jesus for healing first and foremost. I would think believers would, but the point is it was people around him that told him about Jesus - to the point where he had enough faith to amaze Jesus with it.

Hi Clark my friend. I have always loved this account of the power in Christ Jesus to speak a word, and it comes about whatever He speaks. There is just so much wonder in the spoken word, even by us, when it's according to God's will.

Luke 7:7 "Wherefore neither thought I myself worthy to come unto thee: but say in a word, and my servant shall be healed."

The very fact that this man knew that distance is not a hindrance to Jesus' spoken word for the healing of this beloved servant of this Centurion is filled with spiritual instruction. This has taught me that when I pray for a need, whatever that might be, distance means nothing which causes me to have great faith in the power of the Godhead to accomplish even the impossible.

May Jesus bless your vital ministry, my good friend.

Back