Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Matthew 26- Jesus Before the Sanhedrin

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

theLords

Matthew 26

Jesus Before the Sanhedrin

57 Those who had arrested Jesus took him to Caiaphas the high priest, where the teachers of the law and the elders had assembled. 58 But Peter followed him at a distance, right up to the courtyard of the high priest. He entered and sat down with the guards to see the outcome.
59 The chief priests and the whole Sanhedrin were looking for false evidence against Jesus so that they could put him to death. 60 But they did not find any, though many false witnesses came forward.

Finally two came forward 61 and declared, “This fellow said, ‘I am able to destroy the temple of God and rebuild it in three days.’”

62 Then the high priest stood up and said to Jesus, “Are you not going to answer? What is this testimony that these men are bringing against you?” 63 But Jesus remained silent.

The high priest said to him, “I charge you under oath by the living God: Tell us if you are the Messiah, the Son of God.”

64 “You have said so,” Jesus replied. “But I say to all of you: From now on you will see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of the Mighty One and coming on the clouds of heaven.”[e]

65 Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, “He has spoken blasphemy! Why do we need any more witnesses? Look, now you have heard the blasphemy. 66 What do you think?”

“He is worthy of death,” they answered.

67 Then they spit in his face and struck him with their fists. Others slapped him 68 and said, “Prophesy to us, Messiah. Who hit you?”

What's going on in this passage? Why does Caiaphas recognize that the Jewish Messiah is the Son of God?

E:
Psalm 110:1
A psalm of David. The LORD said to my Lord, "Sit in the place of honor at my right hand until I humble your enemies, making them a footstool under your feet."

Daniel 7:13
"In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence.

So much is happening within this short exchange! :o

Can someone help me flesh out some of the Greek, especially when Jesus says, "You have said it." What is the significance of His words here?

What's going on in this passage? Why does Caiaphas recognize that the Jewish Messiah is the Son of God?

E:
Psalm 110:1
A psalm of David. The LORD said to my Lord, "Sit in the place of honor at my right hand until I humble your enemies, making them a footstool under your feet."

Daniel 7:13
"In my vision at night I looked, and there before me was one like a son of man, coming with the clouds of heaven. He approached the Ancient of Days and was led into his presence.

So much is happening within this short exchange! :o

Can someone help me flesh out some of the Greek, especially when Jesus says, "You have said it." What is the significance of His words here?

Caiaphas only asked that question to get Jesus to answer it. And then from that affirmative answer He would be able to declare Jesus a blasphemer and have a legal resion to have Him killed.

Caiaphas was not recognizing Jesus as the Messiah the Son of God. Read the reply of Jesus to Caiaphas and you will see that He did not make any admission about being the Messiah the Son of God. He did not deny it however.

All Praise The Ancient of Days

John 12 (penned Words of Christ)

[42] Nevertheless among the chief rulers also [[many believed on him;]] but because of the Pharisees they did not confess him, lest they should be put out of the synagogue:

[43] For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.

[44] Jesus cried and said, He that believeth on me, believeth not on me, [[but on him that sent me]].

(did you even get that?? see James 2:8-12 + Eccl. 12:13-14 + 1 John 2:4)

[45] And he that seeth me seeth him that sent me.

[46] I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.

[47] And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.

And anyone can read on for the fate of Judgement to these ones! (Exe. 9) But the issue here is do 'some' ones have [KNOWLEDGE] of Church over Christ or BEFORE Christ!And one would be LIGHTLESS (above) if they think that the Heb. 6:6 ones were not some of these Heb. 6:1-5 ones of Rev. 17:1-5.

But regardless, INSPIRATION DOCUMENTS for the Universe that [MANY] even repeated as required (Eccl. 3:15) of todays ones care more for 'their' church (Rev. 17:5 in the Plural) 'yoked' membership than they do for the Christ of His apostate church's. Read Isa. 5:3 Rev. 18:4 TESTING!

And the Sanhedrin 'membership'??? These 'knowledgeable' ones are on RECORD with the Words of.. 'WE HAVE NO KING BUT CAESAR'.

So the Christ/less Rev. 17:1-5 Churchs will need the same power of Government to do their [KNOWN satanic last work]. Even this is amazing!! The word of [WORK]? Even satan 'BELIEVES' in this Word, huh? But, do not think for one minute that God will leave earth's population ignorant to what [FREE CHOICE] that they had [KNOWINGLY MADE]!

--Elijah

Caiaphas only asked that question to get Jesus to answer it. And then from that affirmative answer He would be able to declare Jesus a blasphemer and have a legal resion to have Him killed.

Caiaphas was not recognizing Jesus as the Messiah the Son of God. Read the reply of Jesus to Caiaphas and you will see that He did not make any admission about being the Messiah the Son of God. He did not deny it however.

All Praise The Ancient of Days

That's not what I was asking. I understand the exchange between Caiaphas and Jesus so allow me to clarify, did the Jews recognize that "Son of God and Messiah" were interchangeable? Did they recognize "Son of God" in a revered type of way? (Not necessarily in the same terms as Christianity)

In Matthew 16(?) when Jesus asks the disciples who do they say He is, Peter responds with "You are the Messiah, the Son of the Living God."

It seems like this is alluding to something that was commonly understood during those times. After proclaiming that no one turns to Peter and says "Wait, does God have a Son?" like so commonly happens today.

That's not what I was asking. I understand the exchange between Caiaphas and Jesus so allow me to clarify, did the Jews recognize that "Son of God and Messiah" were interchangeable? Did they recognize "Son of God" in a revered type of way? (Not necessarily in the same terms as Christianity)

In Matthew 16(?) when Jesus asks the disciples who do they say He is, Peter responds with "You are the Messiah, the Son of the Living God."

It seems like this is alluding to something that was commonly understood during those times. After proclaiming that no one turns to Peter and says "Wait, does God have a Son?" like so commonly happens today.

Very true. Yet, some just do not see Truth if it takes much Spiritual thought. huh? Even in Matt. 4 we see satan saying...

[8] Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
[9] And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.

And you are right, how many of today do not see that satan had this power after Adam sinned? Most seem to think that wealth, position +, are signs of being right with God.

And folks talk about the Seventh Day not being the Lords Day because it does not come out in STRAIGHT SPOKEN LANGUAGE and say so in the N.T. (for them at least) But who in the N.T. were not 7th Day Sabbath keepers at the time of Acts???

--Elijah

I think I see what you are asking.
You are more or less asking if the promised Messiah revealed in scripture would be "divine" in nature?

I believe the answer is YES.
And several scriptures reveal this.

One, of course, is that he would be born of a virgin. That clearly designates something beyond "natural".

Another is the prophesy saying he would be of the order of Melchizedek. And as the NT explains, had no known "natural" genealogy.

And another (in my opinion, the most specific of all) is:

Psalms 2
(12) Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

Yes, that's exactly it! Thank you!

So when the Lord revealed to Peter that Jesus was "the Son of God" it's kind of like OT Scripture was made alive in Peter and he was able to see?

Also, Sissy, do you know the significance of Jesus' words "you have said it."

What was He saying spiritually? Scripture reveals that nothing in Jesus' words were ever simply on the surface. He always spoke in such deep ways. That makes me wonder what is going on in that exchange.

I tried googling it but nothing helpful came up.

There is debate on what the actual meaning is.

It CAN be construed as being equivalent to saying "You have rightly said" (thus meaning that Caiaphas SAID the truth, whether he believed it to be true or not).

It is the same sentence structure Mathew used a few verses earlier:

Matthew 26
(25) Then Judas, which betrayed him, answered and said, Master, is it I? He said unto him, Thou hast said.
Again, this can be construed as saying "You have rightly said".

Thanks! I'm going to try to do some more research.

The Lord's ways are certainly mysterious. Man's logic, reason, and intellect can't lead him to Christ- only faith can.

Beautiful, Lord, You are Magnificently Beautiful :clap

Certainly Caiaphas and the other Jews knew Jesus had stated He was God or we wouldn't have this response!

65 Then the high priest tore his clothes and said, “He has spoken blasphemy! Why do we need any more witnesses? Look, now you have heard the blasphemy. 66 What do you think?â€

“He is worthy of death,†they answered.

67 Then they spit in his face and struck him with their fists. Others slapped him 68 and said, “Prophesy to us, Messiah. Who hit you?â€

The Lord's ways are certainly mysterious.
Yep.

Funny thing about ol' Caiaphas.
God used him another time to state prophesy (whether he actually KNEW the magnitude of what he was actually saying or not).

John 11
(49) And one of them, named Caiaphas, being the high priest that same year, said unto them, Ye know nothing at all,
(50) Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not.
(51) And this spake he not of himself: but being high priest that year, he prophesied that Jesus should die for that nation;
(52) And not for that nation only, but that also he should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad.

Oh.. ok sorry i misread your question.

So to answer your question. No i do not believe they (the Jews) knew the Messiah would be the same as the Son of God.

When Peter answered Jesus that He was the Messiah the Son of God it was the Holy Spirit that was revealing to Peter that the Messiah was also the Son of God.

Matthew 16
16 Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.†17 Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven.

Some of them (the Jews) did think that maybe Jesus was the Messiah, but it was His claim to be the Son of God that caused them to reject Him and execute Him as a blasphemer.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Back