Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Matthew 7:1-2

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
"Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged, and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you."

What does this verse mean? Does it mean not to judge at all or not to judge hypocritically?

I have heard some brothers/sisters in Christ say that this verse means that we are allowed to judge, but not judge hypocritically. Is this true? I always thought that it meant not to judge others at all as God does not judge us either until the day we are in front of him. If he did, I would think that he wouldn't have created us at all because we are sinners and will always be sinners. Please help me understand this verse clearly.

And if we are to judge, what are examples of judging hypocritically?

the following couple of verses explain it clearly.
re read about trying to remove a speck of dust from someones eye, while a whole tree trunk is stuck in ones own eye.
Yes, I read that. That is why I say we should not judge anyone at all; even false teachers. Now, I am not saying that we should listen to what they preach, however, we all make mistakes. I will link the sermon that I watched to this verse.

I always thought that it meant not to judge others at all

But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner—not even to eat with such a person.
For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside? But those who are outside God judges. Therefore “put away from yourselves the evil person.” 1 Corinthians 5:11-12

• For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside?
  • But those who are outside God judges.

I say this to your shame. Is it so, that there is not a wise man among you, not even one, who will be able to judge between his brethren?
1 Corinthians 6:5

JLB

Last edited:
"Do not judge so that you will not be judged. For in the way you judge, you will be judged, and by your standard of measure, it will be measured to you."

What does this verse mean? Does it mean not to judge at all or not to judge hypocritically?

I have heard some brothers/sisters in Christ say that this verse means that we are allowed to judge, but not judge hypocritically. Is this true? I always thought that it meant not to judge others at all as God does not judge us either until the day we are in front of him. If he did, I would think that he wouldn't have created us at all because we are sinners and will always be sinners. Please help me understand this verse clearly.

I look at it this way. I am not God. I am a sinner and as such who am I to pass judgment on another? What are my qualifications? Jesus said to take the plank out of our own eye before trying to remove the spec of dust from another's eye (Matthew 7:5). A well known analogy is when we point a finger at another, there are three fingers pointing back at ourselves.

There are times though when I believe people confuse the difference between judging and correction. We are called to correct others when they are in the wrong. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 NKJV

I look at it this way. I am not God. I am a sinner and as such who am I to pass judgment on another? What are my qualifications? Jesus said to take the plank out of our own eye before trying to remove the spec of dust from another's eye (Matthew 7:5). A well known analogy is when we point a finger at another, there are three fingers pointing back at ourselves.

There are times though when I believe people confuse the difference between judging and correction. We are called to correct others when they are in the wrong. All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 NKJV
So does this mean we should judge when we are looking for like say a God-like church to attend? What about giving? Let's say that a homeless person asks me for money for food and I think they will use it for drugs. Is that judgment or being smart about it? Obviously, we don't want them to do drugs because we love them. What about if we have a friend or an acquaintance who does drugs and keeps taking advantage of your kindness? Do we stay loyal and try to help or be friends with them still and wait, or do we kick them to the curve? What if a pastor makes a huge mistake, let's say molests a child or abuses them physically? Are we to forgive and pray or do we get out of there asap? If you had time to watch the YouTube video, pastor Paul suggests that these times are the times that we need to judge; use our critical thinking ability. Is that true or false? Because I would forgive and stay for most of those situations. However, like I have said before, what do I know. These are the situations I am having difficulty finding out about what the Bible says on these things.

P.S., please do not think that I think you are trying to cut me down or anything. I am truly trying to understand what I am reading/studying so that I may help people in the future and maybe have a ministry on my own. I feel like I am being called to be a pastor but that is not my main concern at the moment. I just want to understand it fully so that I may become more like Christ and help people.

So does this mean we should judge when we are looking for like say a God-like church to attend? What about giving? Let's say that a homeless person asks me for money for food and I think they will use it for drugs. Is that judgment or being smart about it? Obviously, we don't want them to do drugs because we love them. What about if we have a friend or an acquaintance who does drugs and keeps taking advantage of your kindness? Do we stay loyal and try to help or be friends with them still and wait, or do we kick them to the curve? What if a pastor makes a huge mistake, let's say molests a child or abuses them physically? Are we to forgive and pray or do we get out of there asap? If you had time to watch the YouTube video, pastor Paul suggests that these times are the times that we need to judge; use our critical thinking ability. Is that true or false? Because I would forgive and stay for most of those situations. However, like I have said before, what do I know. These are the situations I am having difficulty finding out about what the Bible says on these things.

P.S., please do not think that I think you are trying to cut me down or anything. I am truly trying to understand what I am reading/studying so that I may help people in the future and maybe have a ministry on my own. I feel like I am being called to be a pastor but that is not my main concern at the moment. I just want to understand it fully so that I may become more like Christ and help people.
Have you read the gospels? Study all the gospels and you can gain much insight into the character of Jesus.

Consider the story of the woman caught in adultery. She was guilty of breaking the commandment not to commit adultery and yet there she was, standing before Jesus Himself. The teachers of the law and Pharisees brought her to Him for judgement. Their motives were not fully honorable and they saw themselves as having kept the law perfectly. But then Jesus forced them to look clearly at themselves when He told them that whomever among them was without sin should cast the first stone. At that moment they realized they were not worthy of passing judgment and did not qualify to cast that stone. Then when you read further what does the Scriptures say Jesus did? He told her that she was forgiven and then He told her to sin no more or in other words repent. There's that word again!

When someone asks you for money for food, is it right for you to judge according to your feelings what that person will do with it? Of course you do not KNOW what that person will actually do with the money but you gave and have done what is right. If you are truly concerned or believe the person will use it for drugs or alcohol you could just give them food.

Does kicking someone to the curb help them? There are ways of not allowing others to take advantage of your kindness for their own less than honorable purposes. Ask yourself, are there some other ways I can help them that makes it more difficult or doesn't allow them to use me for their own selfish gain?

Scripture gives us direction for dealing with sin in the Church. Here's one example from Jesus in Matthew 18:15-17 NKJV. Always remember, none of us is qualified to cast that first stone so we must always tread carefully and respectfully to admonish them with love rather than pride.
“Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that ‘by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.’ And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church. But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him be to you like a heathen and a tax collector."

Let's read a little further in Matthew 7 as all we are allowed to judge in others are the fruits that are displayed through them. Only God can judge the intents of the heart.

Mat 7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
Mat 7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
Mat 7:17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
Mat 7:18 A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.
Mat 7:19 Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.
Mat 7:20 Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

It is because of verses 15-20 from Matthew 7 that I am asking this question. It is still judgment and didn't understand what righteous judgment was. But I believe I understand it now because I just watched a sermon on these verses. Also, no I have not read the whole bible WIP. I thought it was well known that I just came back to God a few months ago. I do apologize that I did not make that clear enough.

John 7:24
Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.

Our Lord's instructions to us. There are times we have to judge. Both 1 Corinthians and Hebrews talk about exercising discernment, both in the spiritual and natural. That is judgement.

The thing is to know when and how we are to judge, and when and how we are NOT to judge.

The verse on context (Matthew 7:1) means you do or should not jump into conclusion because you assumed someone's advantage or disadvantage.

Because when it's your turn (that same measure) will also fall heavy on you.

Example is someone who concludes that poor people are lazy that's why they cannot afford things. Such notion is wrong. If you judge people, one day it will be your turn and you may say "why is this happening to me?

May God not let such things happen to us in Jesus name

Usually, it's those who don't want to be held accountable for their actions that like to think that Christians are not to judge others at all.

What Jesus was saying was to not judge anyone to condemnation to the lake of fire, because that responsibility is His alone. It is not up to us.

But that Greek word for 'judge' also applies to those made responsible for keeping His law in the court systems, and that is from God Himself. So to think it is a sin to judge wickedness and criminal behavior is in itself an idea of the devil, for lawlessness and wickedness and chaos is exactly what he wants for God's people.

I believe judging should be based on active intentions, if something is a problem to our faith then we must judge to deal with it. Judging clothes, or looks, or hobbies. and etc is a bad judgement. Its hypocrisy, What we must do is judge intentions and belief system.

I believe judging should be based on active intentions, if something is a problem to our faith then we must judge to deal with it. Judging clothes, or looks, or hobbies. and etc is a bad judgement. Its hypocrisy, What we must do is judge intentions and belief system.
THat is true of course. But many people's faith system is tied up in externals like "clothes, or looks, or hobbies." I remember a time when it was considered a sin to have facial hair. When it was a sin to listen to certain types of music. etc.

Matt. 7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged.

“Judge not” is the message in the context of verses 1-5. What other Scriptures support this thought or slant?

Romans 14:10-13 - “But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ. For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God. Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother’s way.”

Luke 6:37 - “Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven.”

Romans 2:1 - “Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.”

James 4:11 - “Speak not evil one of another, brethren. He that speaketh evil of his brother, and judgeth his brother, speaketh evil of the law, and judgeth the law: but if thou judge the law, thou art not a doer of the law, but a judge.”

1 Corinthians 4:5 - “Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts: and then shall every man have praise of God.”

These Scriptures seem to close the door with finality on the subject of judging—as if to say there is no other perspective. But we should consider Matthew 7:1-5 from a practical standpoint as a general rule. In other words, we should be very careful and very slow in speaking anything that would cast an aspersion on another because of the possibility of bringing disastrous results to ourselves as well as to the individual himself. Thus Matthew 7:1-5 is a general rule of conduct, but there are exceptions.

For example, the Law sometimes makes statements that must be considered in context. In the case of murder, the wrongdoer merits the death penalty, but the same Law allows for the extenuating circumstance of a nonpremeditated murder. Was the crime one of passion, was it due to an accident—or was it premeditated? If the latter, then the principle of an eye for an eye, a life for a life, applied. If the crime was an accident, compensatory value was required but not the full penalty that would apply to a deliberate crime.

We are living in an unusual age. Down through the centuries, one was put in a dungeon for stealing a loaf of bread. Today is a peculiar time; the pendulum has swung the other way to being extremely liberal, so that the criminal, not the victim, gets the benefit of the judgment. Other than perhaps the last 100 years, the rest of the Gospel Age (approximately 1,900 years) was strict and puritanical and/or cruel and inflexible. Those who were religious tended to exact “just” penalties, and the nonreligious element was cruel and implacable, with no allowances being made. Therefore, down through the Gospel Age, this “judge not” advice was helpful to counteract the harsh and cruel attitudes and practices. However, since we are currently living in an age of great liberality, bordering on license, there is a tendency to read Matthew 7:1-5 as if there are no exceptions.

In verse 1, it is not helpful to consider the root meaning of “judge” (Greek krino), for context is the determining factor. The problem with considering the word derivation is that, depending on the “prejudice” of the person, the meaning of the word can be slanted in different ways. Generally speaking, context is more important than the root meaning of a word. However, sometimes the immediate context is not sufficient to get a rounded-out understanding (as here in Matthew 7:1-5), for only one standpoint is treated. In such a case, in order to get the full meaning, the context of other pertinent Scriptures must be considered. Thus there are two ways to understand a Scripture: (1) contextual evidence of the Scripture actually being studied and (2) contextual evidence of all Scriptures bearing on the subject—comparing Scripture with Scripture. Dictionary definitions alone are not reliable. Only after analyzing the context can a root meaning be narrowed down, generally speaking. “Judge” in verse 1 means condemn or sentence in regard to one’s final destiny, one’s eternal destiny.

Judge with a righteous judgement

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back