Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Matthew 7:21-23

Francisdesales

““Now, if this doesn't fit your "version of Christianity", and you must feel the need to belittle me because I feel called to minister to other Christians, then I have no answer for you, James. I will keep you in my prayers, although no doubt, in your mind, my "human version of Christianity" is a waste of my time...â€â€

It must be understood that natural religion and natural secularism are each the same at their core…natural. Each can be positive or negative. And history points to times of both in each. Natural religion, when it is positive, is at least just as beneficial as is natural secularism. They both help others, often in remarkeable ways, such as caring for the poor and the sick or providing education for those who need it. Or even just sharing of ones person and time in times of another’s emotional need. And if what is natural is sufficient to provide what is positive by way of personal ministries, then what need is there for the supernatural, other than perhaps to appease personal fears of the unknown?

What is natural, be it religious or secular, is not what is the best according to the purpose of God. There is a difference between natural religion and supernatural reality. A very great difference. There is such a difference that Jesus said that the natural will often be at war with the supernatural. And so it has been. To the natural mind, the supernatural is more often than not seen as being either a threat or an opposition. I do not see the natural as being worthless. The natural is just not the best when one sees that which is supernatural.

Your reaction is emotional. I do not belittle you in any way by pointing out the difference between what is natural and what is supernatural. Any more than Paul is belittling you by pointing out the difference between the flesh and the Spirit. As you must realize by now, I do not consider Christianity to be in any way representative of the supernatural or anything that the Biblical writers described. Christianity is nothing more than a humanly derived religion. So by referring to what I believe as “your "version of Christianity" †is belittling to me. And what is worse, you are belittling the God that I believe in. No doubt, now you must claim that we believe in different Gods. And that may be true, if your God is the Roman Catholic Church. If all you have is natural religion, and you can not see the difference between natural religion and the supernatural reality, which is all that I am describing, then your prayers will not do me or anyone else any good at all.

““I have made my point and I think it effectively explains the situation... Unless you think men can cast out demons of their own volition, the verses in question cannot be taken literally. And if you look at the rest of chapter 7, you'll find there is very little to be taken "literally".â€â€

And the fact that you think that Matthew 7 is not to be taken literally, makes my point that you are not seeing the difference between the natural and the supernatural. And that is not surprising since by your own admission, what you believe is through your own personal reasoning. What you are saying about these verses is according to the principles of human interpretation as you understand them.

Jesus was not in the habit of making stuff up, as your claim would imply. And by implying that what he said here was not meant to be taken literally belittles Jesus Christ. I would be more apt to think according to my natural mind that Jesus was not being literal in Matthew 5:27-32. But I believe through the witness of the Spirit that he was being very literal there also, and said what he said to get a point across to the crowd. What he was saying was very important. Important enough that it was a matter of being cast into hell or not. And since he claimed that he only said what his Father told him to say, what he said was very important to the Father as well. He was speaking to a group of people that in the past was more than once called a stiffnecked people. Why? Because they relied on their own natural thinking, rather than the thinking of God. You can take that as personal belittlement if you wish. But that is not the intention.

Ezekiel 18:24, “And if the virtuous man turns from the path of virtue to do evil, the same kind of abominable things that the wicked man does, can he do this and still live? None of his virtuous deeds shall be remembered, because he has broken faith and committed sin; because of this, he shall die.â€

If that is true for us today, and if it has any bearing on salvation or how one is to go to the right place when we die, then what is the purpose of Christ? It is all according to how we live anyway. Even the ones who reject Christ, but live a virtuous life according to their own conscience or to a set of virtuous rules, whether they be human rules or the Law that God gave, will not they too be saved? It’s all according to how we live, isn’t it? There is no such thing as being “in Christâ€. There is only believing in Christ, whatever that is supposed to mean. Something philosophical, no doubt. Have you not read that there is a new covenant relationship that came into existence after the first century that replaces the old covenant relationship? Or is that only for the Jews? The new covenant relationship has to do with Christ. Or am I wrong about that too? Perhaps if you reread Ezekiel 18:24 in its context, you will understand it differently. Though I have no choice but to doubt it if your thinking does not change.

““How can Christ "never know someone" who has cast out a demon in the name of Christ??? Please...â€â€

Since Jesus said that it happened, I just assume that he knows what he is talking about. In your own words, “Please...â€

I am not praying for you because I believe that God is already attempting to open your mind by what I am saying. Thus there is nothing more for me to pray for. And that is not meant to be belittling either.

I am here to share what I know and to understand better what other people know. I am not here to belittle anyone. I believe that I can learn from you as well as anyone else. That does not mean that I will automatically agree with what everyone, including you, is claiming. What I believe is what I believe. And that is all that it is. You are reacting to what I have said in a negative way. If you truly wish to use your personal reasoning, then use it here, rather than reacting to me as you always do to the claims of the Protestants. You will learn nothing through reaction. Nor will anyone learn anything from you. Think about what is being said and what you yourself are saying in response. Put yourself in the other person’s shoes. No one believes anything for no reason. If your ministry is to help people as you claim, then realize that reactions help no one at all.

JamesG

JamesG said:
francisdesales said:
““I have made my point and I think it effectively explains the situation... Unless you think men can cast out demons of their own volition, the verses in question cannot be taken literally. And if you look at the rest of chapter 7, you'll find there is very little to be taken "literally".â€â€

And the fact that you think that Matthew 7 is not to be taken literally, makes my point that you are not seeing the difference between the natural and the supernatural.

James,

I don't have anything to say about your spiritual v physical. If you think of yourself as so much better, than who am I to burst your bubble. What is interesting is how a "carnal man" can so thoroughly prove you incorrect on simple exegesis of a Scripture passage...

Rather than bragging about how spiritual you and your interpretations are, maybe you should actually read the context of Mat 7 and explain to me about the "literalness" of the ENTIRE of the chapter... Have you actually read Matthew 7, ALL of it???

Let's review it, trying to be patient while you endure your disgust in me...

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Mat 7:3

So tell me, James, in your superior spiritual wisdom and ability to judge what is literal and what is not, are you calling THIS literal? Is this where Jesus begins His literal teachings in this chapter? That you are to remove "beams" from your own eye? How about splinters from others? Have you done that lately? Does that make you a poor Christian, that you don't remove planks from your eyeballs???

Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you. Mat 7:6

So James, is Jesus here telling us not to throw holy relics to dogs? Maybe that we are not to throw jewelry to pigs? Is this literal, too??? I am wondering why Jesus would find it necessary to warn us of such literal guidelines... I am wondering WHO of the first century was actually throwing such items to animals. Maybe the Jews were weird like that... Maybe there was a problem with tossing the Showbread of the Temple to puppies...

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened
. Mat 7:7-8

Now, James, I am wondering, help me out here, since I am quite the carnal person and i need your superior wisdom... if I ask God to win the lottery, the Bible here literally says I'll win it, right? Isn't that the literal interpretation, ask and I'll receive? Is this taken literally, also???

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Mat 7:15

OK, James, I'm expecting to see someone wearing a sheep over their clothing - is that another of the literal teachings of Jesus in Mat 7??? Did people of the first century disguise themselves as sheep while teaching people about God??? WOW!!! I've been so blind!

A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither [can] a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Mat 7:18

Ok, I happen to have a poor tree, it looks really raggedy, but I found a grapefruit and it was delicious. Is this another example of your interpretation of the literalness of this section of Scriptures??? I wonder how many farmers began to uproot all of their bad trees because of Jesus' literal words should have told them that they would not see a SINGLE piece of fruit on it ever again...

Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Mat 7:21

OH!!! Well, since the rest of the teachings of Jesus in this passage were so literal, naturally, the "spirit" that is guiding you is telling you - MORE literal genre...!!! We know it must be "literal", because only the beginning of chapter 8 marks a change in style, as Jesus comes down from the mountain from His teachings...

James, ALL of these teachings of Christ are metaphors, Jesus doesn't give us anything taken literally here. I have explained why, but you have chosen not to hear the common sense explanation. Why? You can judge that.

However, if you think that "Christ never knew this person" who cast out demons in the past, maybe you should fill me in on HOW a man without God cast out demons, calling upon the name of Jesus Christ... Have you REALLY thought about that???

Jesus tells us that a kingdom divided against itself shall soon fall. Thus, the devil certainly did not cast out his own. Thus, the finger of God has come into their midst. NOW, HOW does this person cast out demons with the aid of the finger of God, BUT NOT KNOW JESUS??? :confused

It is quite obvious that this passage, like the rest, require interpretation that is not literal. Of COURSE Christ knew them, but it is AS IF HE NEVER DID when they turn to wickedness, just as God Himself tells us in Ezekiel. Second Peter says the same thing. The saved can turn away from God - and that situation is WORSE THAN BEFORE. How you can take one verse literally, while ignoring the rest of the context is most certainly based upon your own human bias in accepting a particular method of thinking, NOT being open to what the Scriptures ACTUALLY say and mean.

Not everything Jesus taught is to be taken literally. Unless you are about to poke your eye out or chop your arm off. Clearly, some of His teachings were metaphors, and Chapter 7 is FULL of them. Every one of them.

Now, I'm sure that you'll tell me that since I am a carnal fellow and you personally are directly guided by God's Living Spirit, that I am wrong. Hey, that's your prerogative, if you want to live in fantasy land. But anyone able to read all of Chapter 7 of Matthew should be able to figure out that Jesus is not giving literal teachings. This is why I find your idea of authority based upon yourself is bound to failure.

After reading this, you may detect some sarcasm in my post, but I suppose it is from the disappointment that I see in how this conversation has turned. I suppose I tire of being told how carnal I am and how spiritual other people are on this forum, while they can't even conduct proper exegesis because they are too busy tripping over themselves to twist the Word of God to their own convenience.

Sorry it has come to this. I know I am not worthy of your prayers, but I'll continue to pray for you anyways.

Regards

Francisdesales

You are very good at interpretation. So good that you have read a lot into what I have said that isn't there. I see that I have made a big mistake being so open with you. I think that this should end here. I am sorry that you have misunderstood me. It is my fault. I really should have known better than to share too much. I guess I thought you were more open minded than you really are. One is never too old to be fooled.

I only want to make one thing clear. I never said that I considered you unworthy of prayer. I said, "I am not praying for you because I believe that God is already attempting to open your mind by what I am saying. Thus there is nothing more for me to pray for. And that is not meant to be belittling either." Big difference. But you can read into what I said whatever you wish. And apparently you already have. But you may rest assured that now I am praying for you because there will be no more words from me.

And one thing that I do agree with you on, "Sorry it has come to this." And I take full responsibility for what has happened. I should have known better.

JamesG

JamesG said:
Francisdesales

I see that I have made a big mistake being so open with you. I think that this should end here. I am sorry that you have misunderstood me. It is my fault. I really should have known better than to share too much. I guess I thought you were more open minded than you really are. One is never too old to be fooled.

James,

The problem was not in sharing "too much", the problem was your turn to an air of moral superiority because I disagreed with you on the question of authority. Things don't have to turn that way because two Christians disagree. I have a healthy respect for many people on this forum who I disagree with on some issues, such as sola scriptura, authority or the Eucharist. However, we are able to respect each other at the end of the day because there is no need to self-proclaim the moral high ground, claiming our teachings come from the Spirit of God Himself while the other is just "human Christianity". And any ministry that I do? A waste of time in an effort to justify myself...?

No, James, that won't do. It's not that I am not "open-minded", but I refuse to agree with everything under the sun for the sake of "political correctedness". It's not personal, I just don't agree with you. That did not call for your response.

JamesG said:
I only want to make one thing clear. I never said that I considered you unworthy of prayer. I said, "I am not praying for you because I believe that God is already attempting to open your mind by what I am saying.

Have you considered that God is attempting to open YOUR mind?

I heard what you are saying and understand it. I simply don't agree with it, it fails the common sense test...

Regardless of whose mind needs opening, we are urged to pray for other Christians.

Regards

everybody has great opinions on this. i definitely agree that many peope will be turned away because of lack of faith or because of willingly and habitually engaging in sin. i would like to add that today their are various religious groups that believe in "the name of Jesus" or even in the fact that Jesus is Lord... but they do not believe Him to be messiah or savior. sadly, there will b people like this turned away also because they refuse to obey the WHOLE Truth.

Back