Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Matthew Henry; The ULTIMATE COMMENTARY?

I

Imagican

Just curious;

Is Matthew Henry's Commentary 100 percent. I am WELL aware of the allagory contained within and the supposition, but IS IT to be USED as a 'difinitive' source of UNDERSTANDING of The Word?

MEC

I'll have to get back to you with this excellent quote I have in mind from one of Charles Spurgeon's books who mentions Matthew Henry.

I'll have to fetch it later though. *makes mental note to come back*

~Josh

For its time Matthew Henry's Commentary is Very Good. I think its a bit dated though, but not to much at all, generally speaking. I also use the Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible by Jamieson, Fausset and Brown. Its also a bit dated but not much. Remember through Commentaries are just opinions. But good for referencing.

Dopple,

IF one NEED beware that M H IS 'opinion' then HOW is it 'SO good'?

MEC

I'm just saying it isn't the Bible or Strong's Reference. The Bible and each book has its own flavor, the pen of each writer comes through. Strong's isn't biased it's just a reference. So it is with Matthew Henry's whiich I use all the time. It's good not perfect. And you can see the intentions of the writer to some extent in his (Comment)tary. Its way ahead of its time though. And certainly to be commended for this volumous work! I wondered how commentary's of today compare with MH's or Jamieson, Fausset, and Brown? Commentary's Change, God's word doesn't, just the way we view it! You want the best Crossrefence/Bible/Commentary available use Bullinger.

An EXTENSIVE 'work' NO doubt.

I appreciate your comments dopple. I do.

And I can 'see' that you ARE aware that ANY commentary is subject to 'opinions' and 'speculation' and therefore is ONLY a 'reference' more so than ANYTHING to be considered a 'final authority'.

Thanks for your participation in this study.

MEC

"Is Matthew Henry's Commentary 100 percent. I am WELL aware of the allagory contained within and the supposition, but IS IT to be USED as a 'difinitive' source of UNDERSTANDING of The Word?"

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
John 14:26 See Bible Versions at http://www.biblediscernment.com for more info

Ok, Mec
I will throw my 2 cents worth into this and if I side track your thread, let me know....

As Matthew Henry, his stuff is ok...I am not a fan of his, not because of the content, but because I just don't get along with his writing style....

The best commentary IMO is the NIV bible...Then the NLT....Yes, I consider these paraphrases commentaries....I have also been to church services where the pastors preached from the pulpit using these commentaries and I found it :o ... To me it is like using the Lords name in vain....( I COULD FEEL THE HATE E MAIL COMING )....

No Problem, No harm, No Foul, Mage. Just putttin in me 2 cents!

ÃÂoppleganger said:
No Problem, No harm, No Foul, Mage. Just putttin in me 2 cents!

Dop,

My words were meant to be words of encouragement and agreement.

I would elaborate, but in the hopes of hearing from others, I will wait a bit first.

Thanks again for the participation and words of wisdom offered,

MEC

jgredline said:
Ok, Mec
I will throw my 2 cents worth into this and if I side track your thread, let me know....

As Matthew Henry, his stuff is ok...I am not a fan of his, not because of the content, but because I just don't get along with his writing style....

The best commentary IMO is the NIV bible...Then the NLT....Yes, I consider these paraphrases commentaries....I have also been to church services where the pastors preached from the pulpit using these commentaries and I found it :o ... To me it is like using the Lords name in vain....( I COULD FEEL THE HATE E MAIL COMING )....

j,

NO hate from this end. But I am curious; What 'led' you to the NIV or NLT? And, have you ever read the KJV?

MEC

Mec
I will keep this brief because I need to get to work...
Have I read the entire KJV cover to cover? Yes, many times over...as well as the NASB, NKJV, NIV NLT and am just finishing the ESV....I have also read the NT in Greek...

When I was teaching bible, before I got sick I used primarily the KJV of the bible...The semantics of the kjv are very close to the Greek TR...The reason I use the NKJV is because for the ''modern'' English language, it is closest to the Greek...Now in saying this, I usually carry with my my Thompson chain reference NKJV bible and a Greek NT TR1550

As for why I believe the NIV and NLT to be good commentaries, is because after reading countless numbers of commentaries over the years, the Bible is still its best commentary...Sometimes the word for thought bibles will shed a little different light on subjects and then it makes sense....

As a side note, I will say that one of my favoirite commentators is G Campbell Morgan....especially his work in the Gospels that is often considered a masterpiece.....In particular his commentary on Matt is simply the best... and his writing style is easy to read and follow and his love for the ''king'' really comes out in his books....

I have Henry's commentaries; they are not my style. He tends to spiritualize scripture a bit. I don't;. I tend to look at Scrpture from a historical perspective, so I'm inclined to lean towards someone like Adam Clarke.

http://www.studylight.org/com/acc/

Many may not like him; he leans towards a historical/preterist position.

Tim
Cool website...You know, I for one love ''books''...
I still can't get myself to read the bible or other books on the computer...I love marking up my bibles and books....The only time I really read the bible on the computer is when I am here or coping and pasting scripture...All else, I break out my books 8-)

oh, as for bible software, I use e sword...

jgredline said:
Tim
Cool website...You know, I for one love ''books''...
I still can't get myself to read the bible or other books on the computer...I love marking up my bibles and books....The only time I really read the bible on the computer is when I am here or coping and pasting scripture...All else, I break out my books 8-)

oh, as for bible software, I use e sword...

Yes, E-sword is excellent. I have that program on my computers and I put it on our church web site for a download. Again, even Strong's concordance is now "free" if you want to read it on the computer, and it makes bible study easy!

I agree that sometimes books can be better. I like to curl up in bed at night to a good book at times. Can't do that with a bulky computer! :-D

I'm sorry I haven't posted the promised quote in here yet, I just droped in to say I haven't forgotten. But yet again I don't have the book on hand to quote from it. :oops: Soon....I hope.

Back