Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Melchizedek = Christ (Bible scholar debate on merits of)

Soma-Sight said:
Solo,

The Word appeared to Abraham as Melchizedek prior to becoming the Christ, the only begotten Son of God.

I am sure you have a concordance....

Go look up "Only Begotten Son of God".....

You will find it is only mentioned in John.....

No other Gospel mentions the "only begotten son"......

The Gospel of John was written approx AD 80 - 90....

Just food for thought.
It is a good thing that the Holy Spirit inspired John to write that Jesus is God's only begotten son, otherwise there might be some contention as to whether it was true or not.

It is a good thing that the Holy Spirit inspired John to write that Jesus is God's only begotten son, otherwise there might be some contention as to whether it was true or not.

Good point....

Did you look it up though.....?????

I am serious about it! I was looking around in the concordance like I do sometimes and was really surprised to see that......

Especially after I had heard that the Gospel of John could possibly be a letter to refute Gnostic logic in the form of The Gospel of Thomas which may have been written in AD 75.....

Of course the actual dates for the writings of the Gospel of Thomas are not unanimously agreed upon....

But it is something to think about. Especially when you see that the Bible is chalk full of references to Angels and men as the "Sons of God" (think of Job first few chapters here)....

Anyways if there are other "Sons of God" like I am implying with Melchizedek, it makes the later written Gospel of John look a little in the "minority" in its claim to place Jesus as the ONLY begotten Son.....

It is important to understand the meaning of terms used in the Bible. The word son is used many times in the Bible both in the Old Testament and the New Testament. The Greek word uiJovß is used 348 times in the New Testament and is translated in reference to Jesus' lineage (son of David), to Jesus be the Son of Man, to Jesus being the Son of God, to Jesus being the only begotten Son of God, to children, to children of Israel, to sons of men, etc. etc. etc.
Keep in mind that there is a difference in understanding of being sons of God relating to created beings, and being the Son of God, God himself in the flesh. God did not appear in the flesh nor was he incarnated anywhere else in history except when Jesus was born.

The Greek word Cristovß is used 530 times in the New Testament and refers to Jesus as being the only Appointed, Messiah, Christ. NO OTHER is referred to as being the CHRIST.

The Greek word monogenhvß (begotten)is used 9 times in the New Testament. It refers to a child being the ONLY child of an individual 4 times in Luke 7:12, Luke 8:42, Luke 38, and Hebrews 11:17. The Greek word monogenhvß refers to the ONLY child of God 5 times in John 1:14, John 1:18, John 3:16, John 3:18, and 1 John 4:9.

Back