Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Misquoted Scriptures

C

ChristineES

This is something that irks me a bit. That is misquoted scripture. My example is from Proverbs, people are always saying "Pride comes before a fall" The actual quote is this: Proverbs 16:18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
Another one comes from Job, it is part of Chapter 1 verse 21.
the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD. This one is often misquoted as The Lord giveth the Lord taketh away.

Maybe I am nit picking, but it bothers me to see the scriptures misquoted in this way
Well, thanks for listening to me.

What really surprises me is that someone is actually prepared to misquote scripture (more than once in one post) in an effort to make a point they say they are not trying to convince me of, but to allow the Holy Spirit to convict me of. Doesn't add up really.

No, you're not nit picking, you're refuting deception. The wordly
saying of "Pride comes before a fall" claims pride is not totally
wrong and we just fall (and get up again). Small thing.

"Pride goeth before destruction" is much more severe and hints
at pride as a major sin that will lead to actual destruction.
A state one might not recover from. Very different to the
'soft version' of the worldly saying.

I'm with you, Christine ES. Here is one I here misquoted quite often:

"Absent from the body and present with the Lord" or "Absent from the body is present with the Lord".

Paul actually says in 2 Cor.5:8, "We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord." KJV

Looking at the whole context starting at verse 1, that Paul's great desire was not to die, but to be present with the Lord.

And in 1 Cor. 15:51-55, he has already told us that it is at the "rapture", the catching away, when those who are 'asleep' will put on incorruption, and we, the living, shall be changed and put on immortality.

God bless, Bick

Yes Bick, that is another thing! Stating only part of a verse instead of the whole thing. It is like saying "The love of money is the root of all evil" or saying "money is the root of all evil" There is a big different between what those two things say with the subtraction of only three words (the love of).

(this is from verse is 1 Timothy 6:10 the whole verse reads as follows:For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.)

And what about things that are commonly stated that are not even in scripture, such as "you need to ask Jesus into your heart."

mutzrein said:
And what about things that are commonly stated that are not even in scripture, such as "you need to ask Jesus into your heart."

Or the oldie but goodie ..."Cleanliness is next to Godliness." I knew a woman who would swear that saying came straight from the Bible. HER mother had drummed this into her . . .and on and on.

Um . . .it ISN'T in the Bible . . .is it? :o

SputnikBoy said:
Or the oldie but goodie ..."Cleanliness is next to Godliness." I knew a woman who would swear that saying came straight from the Bible. HER mother had drummed this into her . . .and on and on.

I don't think so. To make sure I did a search on my eBible and came up with 0 results. My eBible has 5 different translations including KJV. :)

SputnikBoy said:
mutzrein said:

No its from Greek paganism.

I am going to revive this thread for a minute...

I also get itrritated by people "quoting" from the Bible and what they are actually saying isnt even in the Bible.

Such as "God Helps those who help themselves"

I know there is another one that people swear up and down that it is in the Bible but I cant think of it right now... It will drive me nuts until I think of it.

It would be a good idea to read Obadiah. That book is all about this subject.

Edit: my apologies I mean to say 1 and 2 Peter. :oops: I was thinking Obadiah because I just finished a study on it. I'm sorry.

newvalor said:

Any specific passages you can recommend?

"Maybe I am nit picking, but it bothers me to see the scriptures misquoted in this way
Well, thanks for listening to me."

Hi, John here: How about.. 'come and let us reason together sayeth the Lord'? :wink: Seems to me for an old man like me at least, that quoting from memory as we might most do? that, that 'quote' surely is as good as all of the other translations that 'most' might want to argue about and pick from as they choose?

How close do [any] of the ones under inspiration come in the four Gospels as we are 'schooled' to call them, with all of them writing the happening of the same events at times, which are very different in the 'pick' of their [own discriptive] wordings? (did you all catch that??)

'nit picking' as you ask?? No, but it does depend upon what the subject matter is, does it not? Personally for me, I am interested in the bottom line Truth. And hardly ever do we see any Truth settled in bottom line with any one or two verses even correctly worded out in print.

Only one 'writing' stands out, (see Isaiah 8:20) that of the Eternal Universial Covenant that the Godhead Themselves wrote.

WMD said:
newvalor said:

The book is only 21 verses, just read the Book so you can get the entire idea :wink: !

Here is the entire Obadiah in AKJV.

Obadiah 1

1 The vision of Obadiah. Thus said the Lord GOD concerning Edom; We have heard a rumor from the LORD, and an ambassador is sent among the heathen, Arise you, and let us rise up against her in battle.
2 Behold, I have made you small among the heathen: you are greatly despised.
3 The pride of your heart has deceived you, you that dwell in the clefts of the rock, whose habitation is high; that said in his heart, Who shall bring me down to the ground?
4 Though you exalt yourself as the eagle, and though you set your nest among the stars, there will I bring you down, said the LORD.
5 If thieves came to you, if robbers by night, (how are you cut off!) would they not have stolen till they had enough? if the grape gatherers came to you, would they not leave some grapes?
6 How are the things of Esau searched out! how are his hidden things sought up!
7 All the men of your confederacy have brought you even to the border: the men that were at peace with you have deceived you, and prevailed against you; that they eat your bread have laid a wound under you: there is none understanding in him.
8 Shall I not in that day, said the LORD, even destroy the wise men out of Edom, and understanding out of the mount of Esau?
9 And your mighty men, O Teman, shall be dismayed, to the end that every one of the mount of Esau may be cut off by slaughter.
10 For your violence against your brother Jacob shame shall cover you, and you shall be cut off for ever.
11 In the day that you stood on the other side, in the day that the strangers carried away captive his forces, and foreigners entered into his gates, and cast lots on Jerusalem, even you were as one of them.
12 But you should not have looked on the day of your brother in the day that he became a stranger; neither should you have rejoiced over the children of Judah in the day of their destruction; neither should you have spoken proudly in the day of distress.
13 You should not have entered into the gate of my people in the day of their calamity; yes, you should not have looked on their affliction in the day of their calamity, nor have laid hands on their substance in the day of their calamity;
14 Neither should you have stood in the crossway, to cut off those of his that did escape; neither should you have delivered up those of his that did remain in the day of distress.
15 For the day of the LORD is near on all the heathen: as you have done, it shall be done to you: your reward shall return on your own head.
16 For as you have drunk on my holy mountain, so shall all the heathen drink continually, yes, they shall drink, and they shall swallow down, and they shall be as though they had not been.
17 But on mount Zion shall be deliverance, and there shall be holiness; and the house of Jacob shall possess their possessions.
18 And the house of Jacob shall be a fire, and the house of Joseph a flame, and the house of Esau for stubble, and they shall kindle in them, and devour them; and there shall not be any remaining of the house of Esau; for the LORD has spoken it.
19 And they of the south shall possess the mount of Esau; and they of the plain the Philistines: and they shall possess the fields of Ephraim, and the fields of Samaria: and Benjamin shall possess Gilead.
20 And the captivity of this host of the children of Israel shall possess that of the Canaanites, even to Zarephath; and the captivity of Jerusalem, which is in Sepharad, shall possess the cities of the south.
21 And saviors shall come up on mount Zion to judge the mount of Esau; and the kingdom shall be the LORD's.
1 Now the word of the LORD came to Jonah the son of Amittai, saying,
2 Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and cry against it; for their wickedness is come up before me.
3 But Jonah rose up to flee to Tarshish from the presence of the LORD, and went down to Joppa; and he found a ship going to Tarshish: so he paid the fare thereof, and went down into it, to go with them to Tarshish from the presence of the LORD.
4 But the LORD sent out a great wind into the sea, and there was a mighty tempest in the sea, so that the ship was like to be broken.
5 Then the mariners were afraid, and cried every man to his god, and cast forth the wares that were in the ship into the sea, to lighten it of them. But Jonah was gone down into the sides of the ship; and he lay, and was fast asleep.
6 So the shipmaster came to him, and said to him, What mean you, O sleeper? arise, call on your God, if so be that God will think on us, that we perish not.
7 And they said every one to his fellow, Come, and let us cast lots, that we may know for whose cause this evil is on us. So they cast lots, and the lot fell on Jonah.
8 Then said they to him, Tell us, we pray you, for whose cause this evil is on us; What is your occupation? and from where come you? what is your country? and of what people are you?
9 And he said to them, I am an Hebrew; and I fear the LORD, the God of heaven, which has made the sea and the dry land.
10 Then were the men exceedingly afraid, and said to him. Why have you done this? For the men knew that he fled from the presence of the LORD, because he had told them.
11 Then said they to him, What shall we do to you, that the sea may be calm to us? for the sea worked, and was tempestuous.
12 And he said to them, Take me up, and cast me forth into the sea; so shall the sea be calm to you: for I know that for my sake this great tempest is on you.
13 Nevertheless the men rowed hard to bring it to the land; but they could not: for the sea worked, and was tempestuous against them.
14 Why they cried to the LORD, and said, We beseech you, O LORD, we beseech you, let us not perish for this man's life, and lay not on us innocent blood: for you, O LORD, have done as it pleased you.
15 So they look up Jonah, and cast him forth into the sea: and the sea ceased from her raging.
16 Then the men feared the LORD exceedingly, and offered a sacrifice to the LORD, and made vows.
17 Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

newvalor
123 Christian Rookie

Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:06 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: my apologies I mean to say 1 and 2 Peter. I was thinking Obadiah because I just finished a study on it. I'm sorry.

Last edited by newvalor on Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:32 am; edited 3 times in total

I think that he meant these chapter of Peter?

OK: John here,
the thing that bothers me the most is not the mis-quoted scripture, such as the fruit that Eve ate 'was an apple', but the ones that claim to be Christians and then do as Christ tell's me that the ones in Matthew 23:3 don't do. :sad

newvalor said:
WMD said:
newvalor said:

The book is only 21 verses, just read the Book so you can get the entire idea :wink: !

Thanks for making me feel stupid. :oops:

WMD said:
newvalor said:
WMD said:
newvalor said:

Thanks for making me feel stupid. :oops:

Hay, I already like your 'posts!' We are all 'dense!'
But what I find important is that you can say so! Most on here do not even know what the word's ['I made a bo-bo-' means]. :sad
See Isaiah 14:12-14?

Back