Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Mission v. Commission

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Pard

Mission -
Merriam-Webster said:
a specific task with which a person or a group is charged

Commission -
Merriam-Webster said:
a formal written warrant granting the power to perform various acts or duties

Matthew 28:16-20 said:
But the eleven disciples proceeded to Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had designated. When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some were doubtful. And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

When you hear the phrase "The Great Commission" you often think of the red highlighted scripture above. But this is not our commission. That is our mission. Our mission is to make disciples of the entire world. Our commission is the power we are granted through Christ Jesus.

John 16:24 said:
Until now you have asked for nothing in My name; ask and you will receive, so that your joy may be made full.

This is our commission, our power to perform acts. Just in the same way that an officer is commissioned in the military. They are given greater powers to complete the mission they are tasked with. In the US military an officers mission is to protect the United States from all enemies foreign and domestic. Their commission is the power they command, and usually that would mean troops or vehicles or some such idea.

Well, our mission is to preach the gospel through out the land and our commission is to use the power of Christ because when we are born again we are "strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might" (Col.1:11)!

This was laid upon me and I just wanted to share it with you guys. Kind of neat when you realize how much power is vested in us. There are lots of scripture references to all this great power we have. And then to tie into this truth I had laid upon me I turned on the ole' tube and lo-and-behold I ended up listening to a pastor speaking about this same power and how we disgrace God and His Son when we do not use this great power and make use of the gifts we have been given.

He struck me deeply because, how would you like to have given a great gift to someone, something to make their task in life easier, and then watch as they tirelessly ago about the task in the most difficult way, and all because they don't use the gift you gave?

God has given us many gifts and we neglect to use them and we really ought to use them for His glory and to complete His mission on Earth.

I've got more thoughts on this, but I'll see what people have to say... plus I've got to go back to mowing the lawn.

But seriously, you are right. The mission is the same for all of us. But we are commissioned differently to fulfill the overall mission.

But seriously, you are right. The mission is the same for all of us. But we are commissioned differently to fulfill the overall mission.
:thumbsup

1 Corinthians 12:27-31:
Now you are Christ’s body, and individually members of it. And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues. All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of miracles, are they? All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they? But earnestly desire the greater gifts.​

Just like every CO (commissioned officer) isn't given the same power, neither are we! We have to humble ourselves and admit that some have greater powers than we and others have lesser, but each and every power is unique and given by God to us so that we may fight the good fight.

(Currently playing with formatting to decide how I best like to quote lengthy scripture references. The quote tag doesn't allow me to italicize as everything is italicized, so I'm trying different ones now!)

Back