Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

moments that bring light to the darkest of times

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

liz29

on monday night i was walking home from the station and felt wonderfully at peace. the sky was so clear all the stars were on show and the moon was so full and bright i could not help but feel happy and peacefull.

it is often moments like this that help to reaffirm my faith when it has been falling and it came just at the right time as the weekend had brought me many personal problems that brought worry and fear to me constantly.

i still feel this way but now i feel that i have connected with god again i feel like there may be a light at the end of the tunnel.

i think when you stop and take in the beauty of the world you cannot help but feel this way and i am sure many of you will agree.

i was wondering if any others had had similar experiences as they really do bring happiness which should be shared :)

I often have moments like that too. I commute via mass transit, so I'm outdoors a lot. Three days ago, I stood on top of the train station platform viewing a rising full moon! It was large and reddish/orange. It was nice. :biggrin

I like living in a place that has four full seasons. It's a testimony to God's creation and it reminds me that we do truly reside on a real "living" planet.

I remember a moment like this one afternoon, when I was driving home. I was really tired and sort of depressed because I had been worrying about some things.

Then a beautiful bald eagle glided right in front of me, circled back around a landed on a tree right next to the road. I stopped (no worries about traffic here) and watched the bird a bit. It sat on the branch, quite close, looking as regal as only an American Bald Eagle can. Then it took off again, and flew down the valley.

I was immediately reminded of "Yet those who wait for the LORD Will gain new strength; They will mount up with wings like eagles, They will run and not get tired, They will walk and not become weary." Isa 40:31

And I wasn't tired or depressed anymore! :yes

its great to hear people having similar experiences. sometimes just watching Life on the television (wildlife programme by david attenborough) does the same thing. the intricate detailing of nature and life just mesmerizes me :). if noone has watched the series and can do i seriously suggest it!!

I have these moments, too! Happy for you that God sent you had such an experience just when you needed it most! :)

I LOVE the outdoors! It reveals Gods creation in ways that not science can explain. Puts me totally at peace, especially when shared with those you love. :)

I love water falls and running water in a river or stream. I love a beautiful sunrise as well as a beautiful sunset. And early in the morning or late just before evening fully falls. The clouds sometimes give us an aray of beauty when the sunlight shines through them.

I was a dairy farmer most of my life, so I just love animals , as you can imagine. I am retired now, but still have a dog, and miss those days when I was helping a cow give birth. Or going out to the pasture to get the cows in the morning to bring them to the barn to milk them. I thoroughly enjoyed raising the young calves and watching them grow. We never were paid much for our milk, as it is an industry that is a poor mans way of life. But the money was not always the point in why one is a farmer. The love for the land, and love for the animals, and the love for the life style is something that would take me 500 pages to explain the joy that this type of life brings into a persons heart.

It is a great way to raise a family as well. Life and death is a reality on the farm. Hard work with rewards that the dollar can not come close in competition with the gratification that comes with doing the job correctly. Putting up good crops for winter, and taking care of the animals in a way that God would be proud of. My cows were most of them pets. You could go out to the pasture and put your arms around them. Today's farms are so big, that the cows are nothing more than a number and a dollar sign.

My dog is almost 10 years old now. And when my wife and I lost our last dog, we said that we would not have anymore pets , so that we could be more free in our retirement years. But God thought differently as our dog was a drop off in the country housing devlepoment that I live in. He was only about 10 months old when he was dropped off. There are 26 houses in our housing community. And for about two weeks our dog lived at the upper end of the community. My wife and I never knew that this dog was there and a drop off. Until one day, he wandered down to our house looking for someone to be with. He tried to get on the school bus. And he tried to get in the car of the next door neighbor , but of course, the next door neighbor was going to work. So I saw this dog, and I walked him back to the upper part of this housing community. They told me that this dog has been hanging out and eating out of garbage cans and eating whatever he could to stay alive. But no one in the upper housing community ever checked to see if he had a home and an owner. I asked everyone , and no one knew who the owner was of this dog. I took the dog in and put a notice at the country store that I had found a brown dog. I wanted to find the owner of course. No replies after a month so we adopted him. I took him in to the vets, and I had him for only about 1 week , and I knew that he probably had worms. True enough he had three different kinds of worms. The vet bill was over 300 dollars. After a month, we named him buddy. He is now our dog and he is almost 10 years old. Of all the dogs I ever had, and I have had plenty. This dog is the closest dog that I have ever owned. He lays on my feet, and he is very, very close to my wife. He is a male, and I think he is a ladies man. :biggrin My wife just loves this dog, like no other dog we ever had.

God is great !

Bless

...and miss those days when I was helping a cow give birth.

Yes, that really is a wonderful experience. Even though I always lose a night's sleep whenever our heifers are due to give birth, it's really is something to be out there in the cold and dark, watching for the little hooves and the nose to show up, turning it if necessary (messy job that). Then when the baby comes out and lays steaming in the cold and it's momma comes and starts lowing to it, that really is wonderful.

OK, when she starts cleaning it, that's not as cool, :tongue but still, I'm glad to have experienced this and I'm glad that our kids experience it as well.

its great to hear that you found a job in life that you enjoyed doing rather than just one that pays the rent.

most of my friends (with being at university) are extremely career focused. however, i came to uni more to learn and do a subject i enjoyed (history) more than to progress in my career. now that i am nearly finished i hope to find a job that i love regardless of the wage or one that i can leave behind and pusue my own interests at the end of the day.

there is such a pressure to be successful and earn alot of money but at the end of the day having time with my family seems more important and also enjoying what i do.

:adore

handy said:

Yes, that really is a wonderful experience. Even though I always lose a night's sleep whenever our heifers are due to give birth, it's really is something to be out there in the cold and dark, watching for the little hooves and the nose to show up, turning it if necessary (messy job that). Then when the baby comes out and lays steaming in the cold and it's momma comes and starts lowing to it, that really is wonderful.

OK, when she starts cleaning it, that's not as cool, :tongue but still, I'm glad to have experienced this and I'm glad that our kids experience it as well.

Hi

My curiosity in asking you if your heifers are dairy or beef ? And if dairy, what size herd do you have ?

Thanks

Mysteryman said:
handy said:

Hi

My curiosity in asking you if your heifers are dairy or beef ? And if dairy, what size herd do you have ?

Thanks

We have a very small beef cattle ranch. Very small. Enough to keep meat in our freezer and pay for the costs, with a few (very few) bucks profit.

My best friend and her husband run a dairy in California. They have about 500 head. Dairy farming is just about the hardest work ever from what I can see.

Quote handy: "Dairy farming is just about the hardest work ever from what I can see."

Hi

That is the truth ! My shortest week as far as hours go, was about 75 hours of work a week. And as much as 100 hours a week. Between 80 and 85 hours were common.

So all you people who think their 40 hour week of work can be difficult. Just think what we dairy farmers go through every week. :lol

Thanks for your reply. Fatten them up for good eating ! :yes

Bless

I was raised on a farm and experienced a lot of what has been discussed here. There is no comparison to the peace that we experience watching God's creation....being still.. and just knowing God is God.

I have enjoyed reading this post...brought back a lot of memories of how God can show himself to us.

This is the time of year that I really miss spending more time outside... This summer, I'm really going to try to get to a place of complete darkness on a clear night so I can see the stars in all their splendor. Too many streetlights around me.

VertigoAge said:
This is the time of year that I really miss spending more time outside... This summer, I'm really going to try to get to a place of complete darkness on a clear night so I can see the stars in all their splendor. Too many streetlights around me.

this sounds like a great idea. i live in the middle of a busy town right near to the city and there is nothing i like more than taking a half hour drive up on to the hills where there are no street lights and where you can see the stars above you and look down upon the city at night.

Stargazing is one of my favorite past-times during the summer hours. We don't have a roof on our back porch and my hubby and I sit out there until midnight a lot of nights and watch Cygnus fly through the Summer Triangle. It's almost impossible not to think of God on nights like that.

If you decide to get out of town and star-gaze, I recommend the first or second week of August to do so. That is when we go through the Perseid meteor shower and you are guaranteed to see some falling stars.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back