Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Mt !8:10

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

crossnote

(Mat 18:10) Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

How do the Calvinists handle this verse in light of the fact that we are born depraved, sinful and are at enmity with God?

Here is the preceding context...

(Mat 18:2) And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
(Mat 18:3) And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
(Mat 18:4) Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

(Mat 18:10) Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.

How do the Calvinists handle this verse in light of the fact that we are born depraved, sinful and are at enmity with God?

(Mat 18:2) And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
(Mat 18:3) And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
(Mat 18:4) Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
Never got that they often baptize babies .

It's not at all clear what that means. It might mean their personal spirits/souls, or it might mean angels sent out to guard each Christian, which is a belief at least as early as the book of Hebrews (see Heb. 1:14), and Matthew was written at least a couple decades after Hebrews.

The church I go to doesn't teach baptism is necessary to be saved .a toddler cant recieve communion.not even an 8 year old
The original Presbyterian view is that in the OT children (boys) received the sign of the covenant.

Regarding the New Covenant:
Act 2:39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call."

Heb 8:6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises.

So, if children (boys) were included in the old covenant community, and the New Covenant is built on better promises, why should children now be excommunicated out?

Those boys included in in the OT were not necessarily true Jews (Romans 9:6), the same way, infant baptism only means they are included into the Church membership, not saved.

There is no command in the New Testament to now exclude children from receiving covenant signs. Only people implying this by the fact that those who were baptized were adults who made a confession.

There were several household baptisms in the NT.
Act 16:15 And when she (Lydia) and her household were baptized . . . .

Act 16:33 And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their stripes. And immediately he (Philippian Jailer) and all his family were baptized.

I guess I am getting off topic.

In Matthew 18:10 Jesus was talking about Jewish children, not heathen.

Mat 15:22 And behold, a woman of Canaan came from that region and cried out to Him, saying, "Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David! My daughter is severely demon-possessed."
Mat 15:24 But He answered and said, "I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

lastly = Heb 1:14 Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation?

The original Presbyterian view is that in the OT children (boys) received the sign of the covenant.

Regarding the New Covenant:
Act 2:39 For the promise is to you and to your children, and to all who are afar off, as many as the Lord our God will call."

Heb 8:6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises.

So, if children (boys) were included in the old covenant community, and the New Covenant is built on better promises, why should children now be excommunicated out?

Those boys included in in the OT were not necessarily true Jews (Romans 9:6), the same way, infant baptism only means they are included into the Church membership, not saved.

There is no command in the New Testament to now exclude children from receiving covenant signs. Only people implying this by the fact that those who were baptized were adults who made a confession.

There were several household baptisms in the NT.
Act 16:15 And when she (Lydia) and her household were baptized . . . .

Act 16:33 And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their stripes. And immediately he (Philippian Jailer) and all his family were baptized.

I guess I am getting off topic.

In Matthew 18:10 Jesus was talking about Jewish children, not heathen.

Mat 15:22 And behold, a woman of Canaan came from that region and cried out to Him, saying, "Have mercy on me, O Lord, Son of David! My daughter is severely demon-possessed."
Mat 15:24 But He answered and said, "I was not sent except to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

lastly = Heb 1:14 Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to minister for those who will inherit salvation?
It's odd in that they as per the wcf are baptized as infants.

Yet can't at 8 or unless they are given to the elders to inquire cant recieve that sacrament .

Jesus is emphasizing the characteristics of the new birth. When the elect are newly born again, they are humble and desire the sincere milk of the word, and will express their dependency. Like on the day of Pentecost,, the fresh new borns upon hearing Peters sermon, humbly asked, what must they do Acts 2, they were humble and teachable. Also like the Ethiopian eunuch, he was a spiritual new born and desired instruction Acts 8 God makes His People willing in the day of His Power Ps 110

whatever

Jesus came for her too ! It was the Mystery unfolding, that non jews also belonged to the Lost sheep of the house of Israel Eph 3:1-6

For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,

2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:

3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,

4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)

5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:

Jesus is emphasizing the characteristics of the new birth. When the elect are newly born again, they are humble and desire the sincere milk of the word, and will express their dependency. Like on the day of Pentecost,, the fresh new borns upon hearing Peters sermon, humbly asked, what must they do Acts 2, they were humble and teachable. Also like the Ethiopian eunuch, he was a spiritual new born and desired instruction Acts 8 God makes His People willing in the day of His Power Ps 110
And here?

Mark 10:14 KJV
[14] But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.

It's odd in that they as per the wcf are baptized as infants.

Yet can't at 8 or unless they are given to the elders to inquire cant recieve that sacrament .
Don't see anything odd about it. Once they are old enough to understand, then they have to make their own profession. But as infants, the parents make the decision for them.

This usually only happens when non-Presbyterians or Baptists or whoever never baptized their kids come to a Presbyterian Church. If a person was baptized as an infant in a Roman Catholic Church, Presbyterians will accept that. They are not re-baptizers.

Yeah, its made up of a bunch of sinners saved by the Grace of God, washed in the Blood of the Lamb and clothed in His Righteousness.
That term can swing both ways...

John 9:31 (KJV) Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.

Galatians 2:15 (KJV) We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,

But yes, only He is the Sinless one.

That term can swing both ways...

John 9:31 (KJV) Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him he heareth.

Galatians 2:15 (KJV) We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles,

But yes, only He is the Sinless one.
The sinners Christ died for have Him as a Mediator/Intercessor, and so He presents their sinful prayers to Gods Holy Throne. We have access by His Blood Heb 10:19
19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,

Thats why Jesus is a merciful High Priest for His sinful pepole Heb 4:15-16

15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.

Believers because we still sinners, need mercy and grace all the time !

Yeah, its made up of a bunch of sinners saved by the Grace of God, washed in the Blood of the Lamb and clothed in His Righteousness.
If the Kingdom of God is made up of ‘a bunch of sinners’ then why didn’t Jesus pull aside an adult rather than a child as an example adding the words ‘such is’

If the Kingdom of God is made up of ‘a bunch of sinners’ then why didn’t Jesus pull aside an adult rather than a child as an example adding the words ‘such is’
You not paying attention to what I post, so no bother. Unless you can breakdown my previous response to you.

Back