Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

My Father is Greater than I/John 14:28.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Hi brethren, I would suggest the following scripture.
Php 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:
Php 2:6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
Php 2:7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:
Php 2:8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
Php 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

And Jesus will forever be God with us as the servant, sacrifice, and Day's man.
1 Cor 15:28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.
Blessings in Christ Jesus. :wave2

If Jesus was God, why did He say 'The Father is greater than I' in John 14:28? How can Jesus be God, and the Father be greater than Him, at the same time?
As all careful Bible students know, any Scripture must be interpreted in the light of all Scriptures bearing on that subject.

1. We know from numerous Scripture that Jesus is Theos = God.

2. We also know from numerous Scripture that Christ willingly and voluntarily made Himself subject to the Father's will while on earth (Heb 10:5-14). He literally became "Jehovah's Servant" (Isa 52:13-15 "Behold my Servant..."), hence in Gethsemane He said "Not my will, but thine be done".

3. We also know from other Scriptures that there is a "ranking" within the Godhead, where the Father comes first in order of priority, the Son comes next, and the Holy Spirit comes last (Mt 28:19). Thus we read in 1 Corinthians 11: 3 that "the Head of Christ is God". What exactly does that mean? "Head" is the Greek word kephale which simply means "head", but in Scripture means "authority". It means that although all three in the Godhead are co-equal and co-eternal, the Father maintains authority over the Son and over the Holy Spirit. That is why the Son was "given' by the Father as a gift to the world (Jn 3:16) and the Holy Spirit "proceeded" from the Father, and was sent forth by the Son (Jn 15:26).
It is in this context that Christ said "my Father is greater than I" (Jn 14:28). [Thayer's Lexicon 2. predicated of rank, as belonging to a. persons, eminent for ability, virtue, authority, power; as God, and sacred personages].

4. Christ was speaking to His disciples about His departure back to the Father, because it was the Father who had sent Him, by the Father's authority within the Godhead (Jn 12:49). But so that no one would mistake that for an indication of superiority or inferiority, Christ also said "Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me?... Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me..." (Jn 14:10,11). This shows perfect equality.

5. There is no possibility of human beings "explaining" any of this. You either believe it, or you don't. And if one does not believe that Jesus is God (as did the apostle Thomas -- Jn 20:28), then one cannot be saved (Rom 10:9): "That if thou shalt confess with the mouth the LORD Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved". There is only one meaning for "Lord" and that is God (Heb 1:8-10).

so what exactly is the problem - both the Father and the son are equally divine - in a human relationship it is accepted that a father is greater than his son but equally human - twinc

I'm thinking because Jesus was fully human and fully God that in the flesh he was still born to those mortal limitations.

God is Love, Light and Holiness.

In God there is hierarchy. God the Father is Almighty, Jesus is under the Father and believers are under the Son.

If Jesus was God, why did He say 'The Father is greater than I' in John 14:28? How can Jesus be God, and the Father be greater than Him, at the same time?

http://biblehub.net/search.php?q=My Father is greater than I

Man teaches that Jesus is the Father. Scriptures teach there is God the Father, God the Son, and the Spirit of God the Holy Ghost. The Father created Jesus, Jesus then created all physical matter.

it is a false teaching that teaches Jesus is the Father. click HERE To read the article that Scripturally proves it.

^i^

The Father created Jesus, Jesus then created all physical matter.
No, the Father did NOT create Jesus, since Jesus is the CREATOR Himself, with the Father and the Holy Spirit. So this is definitely false teaching.

it is a false teaching that teaches Jesus is the Father. click HERE To read the article that Scripturally proves it.
No Bible believing Christian teaches or holds to the belief that "Jesus is the Father". Where in the world are you coming up with this? The Father is God the Father. Jesus is God the Son. The Holy Spirit is God the Holy Spirit. If that is impossible to comprehend, that's exactly right. You can either believe it (on the basis of Scripture) or disbelieve it.

For one who calls himself a disciple, there seems to be a lot of confusion in your mind.

As all careful Bible students know, any Scripture must be interpreted in the light of all Scriptures bearing on that subject.

1. We know from numerous Scripture that Jesus is Theos = God.

2. We also know from numerous Scripture that Christ willingly and voluntarily made Himself subject to the Father's will while on earth (Heb 10:5-14). He literally became "Jehovah's Servant" (Isa 52:13-15 "Behold my Servant..."), hence in Gethsemane He said "Not my will, but thine be done".

3. We also know from other Scriptures that there is a "ranking" within the Godhead, where the Father comes first in order of priority, the Son comes next, and the Holy Spirit comes last (Mt 28:19). Thus we read in 1 Corinthians 11: 3 that "the Head of Christ is God". What exactly does that mean? "Head" is the Greek word kephale which simply means "head", but in Scripture means "authority". It means that although all three in the Godhead are co-equal and co-eternal, the Father maintains authority over the Son and over the Holy Spirit. That is why the Son was "given' by the Father as a gift to the world (Jn 3:16) and the Holy Spirit "proceeded" from the Father, and was sent forth by the Son (Jn 15:26).
It is in this context that Christ said "my Father is greater than I" (Jn 14:28). [Thayer's Lexicon 2. predicated of rank, as belonging to a. persons, eminent for ability, virtue, authority, power; as God, and sacred personages].

4. Christ was speaking to His disciples about His departure back to the Father, because it was the Father who had sent Him, by the Father's authority within the Godhead (Jn 12:49). But so that no one would mistake that for an indication of superiority or inferiority, Christ also said "Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me?... Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me..." (Jn 14:10,11). This shows perfect equality.

5. There is no possibility of human beings "explaining" any of this. You either believe it, or you don't. And if one does not believe that Jesus is God (as did the apostle Thomas -- Jn 20:28), then one cannot be saved (Rom 10:9): "That if thou shalt confess with the mouth the LORD Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved". There is only one meaning for "Lord" and that is God (Heb 1:8-10).

II Cor. 5:19
To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.

The Father created Jesus
, Jesus then created all physical matter.

What?
Scripture?

John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

John 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

John 3:16 For God (the Father) so loved the world, that he (the Father) gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Hebrews 11:17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son, ( only mention this verse to show that only begotten means came out from his Father)

I John 4:9 In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him. ( Who sent Jesus Christ? the Father sent His Son)

These are the verses which teach that Jesus Christ was created by the Father, born of the Father, came out of Father, anyway you want to say it, doesn't change the fact that the Father created Jesus His begotten Son.

Colossians 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

This is the verse that teaches Jesus created all things invisible and physical.

Hope that helped.

^i^

The Father created Jesus, Jesus then created all physical matter.

No, the Father did NOT create Jesus, since Jesus is the CREATOR Himself, with the Father and the Holy Spirit. So this is definitely false teaching.

you say it is a false teaching does not make it so. When you understand what it means to be the only begotten of the Father, then you will understand the Truth. Jesus was begotten of the Father, because the Father created Him, born Him, brought Him into existence, or however else you want to say it, but it is the Father who was before Jesus Christ. Everything Jesus knew and taught came from who? His Father, all the miracles that He did came from who? His Father. Even Jesus Himself testifies that His Father is greater than He is, because the Father was before Jesus was. The Father made nothing but one thing, and that was Jesus Christ His only begotten. Jesus then made everything that was made.

John 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Jesus MADE all things that were made. The Father created Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is not a thing that was made, He was created by the Father. Jesus did not make Himself, did not create His own self. Jesus did not create the Father. How can one that is begotten create the very one who had begotten Him? Those who teach Jesus created the Father do error and do not know the Truth. The Father who has no physical appearance at all, is Spirit, created Jesus who then created all things (THINGS) that were made (PHYSICAL) If Jesus created the Father, then Jesus would most assuredly be above the Father. But Jesus did not create the Father, that is why He is referred to as the Son, and the Father is referred to as the Father, the ONE who created the Son. The Father sits in the middle of the Throne of God, Jesus is less greater than the Father sits to the right of that Father.
Again this statement is True, and there is NO Scriptures which teach otherwise. The Father created His Son Jesus Christ who then created all things that were made (universe)

No Bible believing Christian teaches or holds to the belief that "Jesus is the Father". Where in the world are you coming up with this? The Father is God the Father. Jesus is God the Son. The Holy Spirit is God the Holy Spirit. If that is impossible to comprehend, that's exactly right. You can either believe it (on the basis of Scripture) or disbelieve it.

For one who calls himself a disciple, there seems to be a lot of confusion in your mind.

Friend the confusion is not on my part, but yours brother Read what i have said and what you responded. I have never said Jesus is the Father, i am not coming up with that, i am refuting that. i am the one who said "The Father is God the Father. Jesus is God the Son, and the Holy Spirit of God is the Holy Spirit. i do not find that impossible to comprehend, i am the one who said it. i never said i disbelieved it. Who is the one confused brother?

^i^

2.4: Do not make an inflammatory remark just to get a response. Address issues not personalities. Respect where people are in their spiritual walk, and respect all others in general. Respect where others are in their spiritual walk, do not disrupt the flow of discussion or act in a way that affects others negatively including when debating doctrinal issues, in the defense of the Christian faith, and in offering unwelcome spiritual advice. Staff

2.4: Do not make an inflammatory remark just to get a response. Address issues not personalities. Respect where people are in their spiritual walk, and respect all others in general. Respect where others are in their spiritual walk, do not disrupt the flow of discussion or act in a way that affects others negatively including when debating doctrinal issues, in the defense of the Christian faith, and in offering unwelcome spiritual advice. Staff

i do not believe he did that intentionally.

^i^

We see that Jesus who is far greater than any Angel was made a little lower than the Angels by becoming Human and suffering death on the cross:
9) For we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour: that He by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
10) For it became Him, for Whom are all things, and by Whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the Captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.
Hebrews 2:9-10

So that we see Jesus knew that because He was to suffer death for our sins, could call His Father greater than He.

When the Word became the Only Begotten Son of God, John 1:1-14; He did it so that thru the Spirit we all by accepting His sacrifice for our sins, could be adopted into God's Family; Romans 8:14-17; Galatians 4:4-7. But by doing this Christ took His place as the First Fruit spoken of in Leviticus 23:10-12. For Paul speaks of Christ as the First Fruit of the Resurrection in I Corinthians 15:20-23. So because of this Christ will subject Himself to the Father so that we as believers may have a body at the resurrection fashioned after His, see Philippians 3:20-21; Christ is still God but He is also the chief or the Beginning of the New Creation of God that is the Resurrected Man, Revelations 3:14. In this way Christ Jesus became like us, but without sin, that He might be our Merciful and High Priest unto His Father, Hebrews 2:14-17.

So that we can all say that our salvation cost us nothing, but Oh how high a cost Christ Jesus paid for it:
For ye know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that ye through His poverty might be rich.
II Corinthians 8:9

Rev. 1:8 "I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty." Jesus was never without the Father, they have always been as well as the Holy Spirit.

Gen. 1:26 "Then God said, "Let us make man in our image, after our likeness." God in this case is Elohim, a plural Name.

John 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Jesus MADE all things that were made. The Father created Jesus Christ.
This is a contradiction. If John 1:3 is correct, then Jesus could not have been made (created). If there was not one thing that was made without Jesus, then logically that precludes him from being made. That is the logical conclusion of that verse but you contradict that by claiming Jesus was created.

Jesus Christ is not a thing that was made, He was created by the Father.
Made and created are the same, as far as this discussion is concerned. If he was created, he cannot be God, since being uncreated is a necessary quality of being God.

The Father sits in the middle of the Throne of God, Jesus is less greater than the Father sits to the right of that Father.
If Jesus is God, and he is, then he is equal with the Father, not less than.

Again this statement is True, and there is NO Scriptures which teach otherwise. The Father created His Son Jesus Christ who then created all things that were made (universe)
The Son was not created. That is what Scripture shows, including John 1:1-3.

In The Expression of God in Word and flesh/Image, there is containment typology.

The Image or Word of God in Christ is The Expression of God into His creation. The Image and Word have 'definitions i.e. SHAPE.' The Spirit has no such limitations and Jesus did in fact contain the Spirit of God without measure, even while contained or 'expressed' in Image/Word. The Word, even though expressed, was still without limit.

God chose to Express Himself in the Image, Word and Spirit of His Son.

It's a simple enough observation.

John 3:34
For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him.

The framers of these observations were cautious to surround the matters with the rightful term, Mystery. Though we may use a construct box called The Trinity, it will remain a mysterious containment field largely for our purposes of observations and not as limitations on Divine Unlimited Eternal.

Colossians 2:9
For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

Jesus is God in the sense that He was begotten of God the Father therefore He is of the same essence or substance as the Father. However, He is not the Father. Jesus said that the Father was the one true God. The Father is the ultimate authority even over the Son and as such is greater than the Son.

What is the problem with believing that Jesus is God, worshipping, praying that Jesus is the one true God?

Back