Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

My friend just died

nolonger

Hey guys,

A good friend from my past life just died. I was inspired to write this, hopefully it encourages someone...

It has been years since I have been in contact with my old friends…I thought that I would have got the call a lot sooner than yesterday. When I heard the words, “I don’t know if you have heard yet…” I knew. I started wondering who it was. Was it Ryan, Sharkie, Paulie, or Meeker? Could it have been Erin, Donny, or Tony? Names started racing through my mind. You see, in the sport of Skydiving, it is only a matter of time! The odds are stacked against you.
Apparently they had organized an end of the day jump; a sunset load as we called them. Donny had done a “hook turn” that he did not recover from. The hook turn is a high performance low altitude turn. You dive your canopy at the ground—pulling out of the dive at the last minute. The dive generates speed, which allows a person to fly inches above the ground for hundreds of feet. The hook turn is also the number one killer in skydiving. I miss my friend Donny…I miss them all. But, things have changed. Most of them think I am nuts! After all I walked away from skydiving and BASE jumping to…follow Jesus. None of them wanted to hear it; they listened for a moment, looked at me with a smile, and continued to load their lives into the plane. In fact, I still remember Donny’s response, “Dude, I believe in Buddah…you know me, I do not want anyone telling me how to live my life!” Which is probably why he never married his girl friend, and never had kids at nearly fourty years old.
So how do I live? Do I live like I do not want someone telling me what to do? Do you? All to often we think of this Christian life, as a life where I am told what to do, instead of what it is, a better option—the best option, that even comes with directions on how to get there. We still stand with our fists clinched to the heavens, never releasing our lives into significance. Donny was a fun guy, whose legacy will be just that. In one instance he has vanished—leaving behind no kids, and no wife. Beyond being a fun guy, what will he be remembered for? How did his life make a lasting difference? Will his actions echo through eternity? Yes, they will. You see, Donny never wanted to bow his knee to Christ, he never wanted to submit himself to a lordship that called him to action. Now Donny is dead, and in hell. Yes, I said it, my dear friend Donny is in hell. His decision to serve only self has granted him his desire to forever be distant from his Creator. As I drove down the road yesterday, wiping tears from my eyes, I could not help but think, “God, that could have been me.” But the reality is, it will be me. I will die. My life will cease to exist here on earth. The only significant thing that will remain is the echoes that my life brings in God’s eternal kingdom!
Sometimes we just get stuck at salvation…we never move on…we never wrap our hands around the fact that God has saved us, and now he wants to use us to change the world! In His word there is a word that we can shrug back from: works. We instantly think, “I am saved by faith, not by works.” You are right. But have we considered this: we are not saved by our good works, but we are saved for good works. His word reads that we are created for good works, set apart for zealous good works, and that we should be careful to maintain good works ( Ephesians 2:10, Titus 2:14, Titus 3:8). His word also tells us that through our good works, which the world observes, they will glorify God (1 Peter 2:12).
God wants to use you! He wants to sanctify your life to His purposes and will, so that he can change the world though the way you live. There is nothing wrong with saying, “God prepare me for good works…purify the will of my heart, transform my motives into yours, and then use me God!” The Lord desires to use us for His purposes; His plan is that our lives will be filled with the excitement that only faith can bring. Yes, His will is exciting! Trust me I know excitement. I used to hang off of the bottom of flying planes, jump out of helicopters and hot air balloons, I have lept off of the Foresthill bridge (720′) a few times, and rodeod a giant stuffed monkey out of a plane. But, in the realm of the eternal echo…it all means nothing! What does mean something is my love for God, the wife and children that I have loved and been there for, the mouths that I have fed, the love that I have given, the faith that I have lived, the truth that I have spoke, the disciples that I have made, the hand that I have reached out, the good works that have been done, and the souls that ultimately have been saved. I can’t even begin to tell you (although I will attempt to by blogging) about the ever increasing excitement that I have seen during the years that I have been surrendered to Christ! I look back on my old life, and think, “how boring!” I have no desire within me for the false anymore; I WANT THE REAL!
Fellow Christian, on the fence believer, make believer, and the person who outright rejects any form of lordship; God created you with purpose. His plan was not to save you so that you could be a puckered cheek puppit who never feels alive! The God of all creation has incredible things in-store for you; however, they are all to be found when we abandon ourselves to His will, and follow Him with reckless faith! He will not perform them when we are in our pride—proving to ourselves and others how righteous we are. God knows how righteous we are, after all, He is the one who made us righteous. His word tells us that He uses the foolish ones, the ones who do not want to share His glory, rather the ones who want to give Him glory! It is our choice, we can live for the god of self, or the God who made self. One will pass away and the other will not. The only thing that will remain, the only thing that will matter, is the eternal echo of your life. It is the only thing that will remain!

Interested to hear your feedback on this topic

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

A good friend from my past life just died. I was inspired to write this, hopefully it encourages someone...

It has been years since I have been in contact with my old friends…I thought that I would have got the call a lot sooner than yesterday. When I heard the words, “I don’t know if you have heard yet…†I knew. I started wondering who it was. Was it Ryan, Sharkie, Paulie, or Meeker? Could it have been Erin, Donny, or Tony? Names started racing through my mind. You see, in the sport of Skydiving, it is only a matter of time! The odds are stacked against you.
Apparently they had organized an end of the day jump; a sunset load as we called them. Donny had done a “hook turn†that he did not recover from. The hook turn is a high performance low altitude turn. You dive your canopy at the ground—pulling out of the dive at the last minute. The dive generates speed, which allows a person to fly inches above the ground for hundreds of feet. The hook turn is also the number one killer in skydiving. I miss my friend Donny…I miss them all. But, things have changed. Most of them think I am nuts! After all I walked away from skydiving and BASE jumping to…follow Jesus. None of them wanted to hear it; they listened for a moment, looked at me with a smile, and continued to load their lives into the plane. In fact, I still remember Donny’s response, “Dude, I believe in Buddah…you know me, I do not want anyone telling me how to live my life!†Which is probably why he never married his girl friend, and never had kids at nearly fourty years old.
So how do I live? Do I live like I do not want someone telling me what to do? Do you? All to often we think of this Christian life, as a life where I am told what to do, instead of what it is, a better option—the best option, that even comes with directions on how to get there. We still stand with our fists clinched to the heavens, never releasing our lives into significance. Donny was a fun guy, whose legacy will be just that. In one instance he has vanished—leaving behind no kids, and no wife. Beyond being a fun guy, what will he be remembered for? How did his life make a lasting difference? Will his actions echo through eternity? Yes, they will. You see, Donny never wanted to bow his knee to Christ, he never wanted to submit himself to a lordship that called him to action. Now Donny is dead, and in hell. Yes, I said it, my dear friend Donny is in hell. His decision to serve only self has granted him his desire to forever be distant from his Creator. As I drove down the road yesterday, wiping tears from my eyes, I could not help but think, “God, that could have been me.†But the reality is, it will be me. I will die. My life will cease to exist here on earth. The only significant thing that will remain is the echoes that my life brings in God’s eternal kingdom!
Sometimes we just get stuck at salvation…we never move on…we never wrap our hands around the fact that God has saved us, and now he wants to use us to change the world! In His word there is a word that we can shrug back from: works. We instantly think, “I am saved by faith, not by works.†You are right. But have we considered this: we are not saved by our good works, but we are saved for good works. His word reads that we are created for good works, set apart for zealous good works, and that we should be careful to maintain good works ( Ephesians 2:10, Titus 2:14, Titus 3:8). His word also tells us that through our good works, which the world observes, they will glorify God (1 Peter 2:12).
God wants to use you! He wants to sanctify your life to His purposes and will, so that he can change the world though the way you live. There is nothing wrong with saying, “God prepare me for good works…purify the will of my heart, transform my motives into yours, and then use me God!†The Lord desires to use us for His purposes; His plan is that our lives will be filled with the excitement that only faith can bring. Yes, His will is exciting! Trust me I know excitement. I used to hang off of the bottom of flying planes, jump out of helicopters and hot air balloons, I have lept off of the Foresthill bridge (720′) a few times, and rodeod a giant stuffed monkey out of a plane. But, in the realm of the eternal echo…it all means nothing! What does mean something is my love for God, the wife and children that I have loved and been there for, the mouths that I have fed, the love that I have given, the faith that I have lived, the truth that I have spoke, the disciples that I have made, the hand that I have reached out, the good works that have been done, and the souls that ultimately have been saved. I can’t even begin to tell you (although I will attempt to by blogging) about the ever increasing excitement that I have seen during the years that I have been surrendered to Christ! I look back on my old life, and think, “how boring!†I have no desire within me for the false anymore; I WANT THE REAL!
Fellow Christian, on the fence believer, make believer, and the person who outright rejects any form of lordship; God created you with purpose. His plan was not to save you so that you could be a puckered cheek puppit who never feels alive! The God of all creation has incredible things in-store for you; however, they are all to be found when we abandon ourselves to His will, and follow Him with reckless faith! He will not perform them when we are in our pride—proving to ourselves and others how righteous we are. God knows how righteous we are, after all, He is the one who made us righteous. His word tells us that He uses the foolish ones, the ones who do not want to share His glory, rather the ones who want to give Him glory! It is our choice, we can live for the god of self, or the God who made self. One will pass away and the other will not. The only thing that will remain, the only thing that will matter, is the eternal echo of your life. It is the only thing that will remain!

Sorry to hear about your friends death. Your post says a lot and it is something to ponder.

I, too, am sorry for the loss of someone you knew well, Nolonger.

What you have written is profound in that it reminds each & every one of us the fragility of life. When a fellow Christian dies, yes, we're saddened...but we are also heartened by the fact that he/she was a Christian, & therefore would join our Lord.

With non-Christians, however, it's quite the opposite. And the reason we are more sorry than anything is the fact that the non-believer did not have that one more chance to change & accept our Lord. The fragility of life. And, what Christians also include: wasted opportunities to to join our Lord in true faith.

Sometimes we just get stuck at salvation…we never move on…we never wrap our hands around the fact that God has saved us, and now he wants to use us to change the world!

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, but through it all you have a great perspective of the whole thing! Salvation is our entrance into the Kingdom, but after such; we have to learn the Kingdom culture =D

What does mean something is my love for God, the wife and children that I have loved and been there for, the mouths that I have fed, the love that I have given, the faith that I have lived, the truth that I have spoke, the disciples that I have made, the hand that I have reached out, the good works that have been done, and the souls that ultimately have been saved.

Your heart is indeed beating with God's heart as you have the desire to empower and teach others to reach the lost. Continue in this path as it WILL get more exciting like you have said. "God's will is exciting". I've seen many radical miracles and let me tell you, it is very exciting! :yes Most of the people whom I see get healed are those who have just accepted Christ as Lord. I have friends who've seen the dead rise, but for me I've seen deaf, broken backs, and incurable diseases healed!

Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. - Galatians 6:9

Hey guys,

It has been years since I have been in contact with my old friends…I thought that I would have got the call a lot sooner than yesterday. When I heard the words, “I don’t know if you have heard yet…†I knew. I started wondering who it was. Was it Ryan, Sharkie, Paulie, or Meeker? Could it have been Erin, Donny, or Tony? Names started racing through my mind. You see, in the sport of Skydiving, it is only a matter of time! The odds are stacked against you.
Apparently they had organized an end of the day jump; a sunset load as we called them. Donny had done a “hook turn†that he did not recover from. The hook turn is a high performance low altitude turn. You dive your canopy at the ground—pulling out of the dive at the last minute. The dive generates speed, which allows a person to fly inches above the ground for hundreds of feet. The hook turn is also the number one killer in skydiving. I miss my friend Donny…I miss them all. But, things have changed. Most of them think I am nuts! After all I walked away from skydiving and BASE jumping to…follow Jesus. None of them wanted to hear it; they listened for a moment, looked at me with a smile, and continued to load their lives into the plane. In fact, I still remember Donny’s response, “Dude, I believe in Buddah…you know me, I do not want anyone telling me how to live my life!†Which is probably why he never married his girl friend, and never had kids at nearly fourty years old.
So how do I live? Do I live like I do not want someone telling me what to do? Do you? All to often we think of this Christian life, as a life where I am told what to do, instead of what it is, a better option—the best option, that even comes with directions on how to get there. We still stand with our fists clinched to the heavens, never releasing our lives into significance. Donny was a fun guy, whose legacy will be just that. In one instance he has vanished—leaving behind no kids, and no wife. Beyond being a fun guy, what will he be remembered for? How did his life make a lasting difference? Will his actions echo through eternity? Yes, they will. You see, Donny never wanted to bow his knee to Christ, he never wanted to submit himself to a lordship that called him to action. Now Donny is dead, and in hell. Yes, I said it, my dear friend Donny is in hell. His decision to serve only self has granted him his desire to forever be distant from his Creator. As I drove down the road yesterday, wiping tears from my eyes, I could not help but think, “God, that could have been me.†But the reality is, it will be me. I will die. My life will cease to exist here on earth. The only significant thing that will remain is the echoes that my life brings in God’s eternal kingdom!
Sometimes we just get stuck at salvation…we never move on…we never wrap our hands around the fact that God has saved us, and now he wants to use us to change the world! In His word there is a word that we can shrug back from: works. We instantly think, “I am saved by faith, not by works.†You are right. But have we considered this: we are not saved by our good works, but we are saved for good works. His word reads that we are created for good works, set apart for zealous good works, and that we should be careful to maintain good works ( Ephesians 2:10, Titus 2:14, Titus 3:8). His word also tells us that through our good works, which the world observes, they will glorify God (1 Peter 2:12).
God wants to use you! He wants to sanctify your life to His purposes and will, so that he can change the world though the way you live. There is nothing wrong with saying, “God prepare me for good works…purify the will of my heart, transform my motives into yours, and then use me God!†The Lord desires to use us for His purposes; His plan is that our lives will be filled with the excitement that only faith can bring. Yes, His will is exciting! Trust me I know excitement. I used to hang off of the bottom of flying planes, jump out of helicopters and hot air balloons, I have lept off of the Foresthill bridge (720′) a few times, and rodeod a giant stuffed monkey out of a plane. But, in the realm of the eternal echo…it all means nothing! What does mean something is my love for God, the wife and children that I have loved and been there for, the mouths that I have fed, the love that I have given, the faith that I have lived, the truth that I have spoke, the disciples that I have made, the hand that I have reached out, the good works that have been done, and the souls that ultimately have been saved. I can’t even begin to tell you (although I will attempt to by blogging) about the ever increasing excitement that I have seen during the years that I have been surrendered to Christ! I look back on my old life, and think, “how boring!†I have no desire within me for the false anymore; I WANT THE REAL!

Even not knowing you I am truly sorry your friend has died. Maybe you don't realize it, but if you have the faith to confess to God that you are truly sorry his only begotten son, Jesus, lost his life by bloodshed when he was crucified and be baptized into what you have said. God will forgive all your past sins and allow you the grace to enter to inherit his kingdom as a joint heir with Christ.
I am sorry for your loss.

Well this just spoke to me. What can I do to live out faith? I am in university a full time student, and everybody is busy and doesn't care. I know I am not living a christian life but it's difficult. You were right, it is more then just being more righteous then the next person, so please tell me. thanks

Thanks for the responses guys! We often don't think about how fragile life is. Hearing about this happening to a close friend has helped me to be more thankful, and more eager to abandon myself to the call.

So the point came up that living the Christian life is difficult! It is. Jesus said it is the narrow path, not the broad one. However, He also says that the broad one leads to death and the narrow one leads to life! I think to often we settle for doing instead of being. We know that we should, as a christian, do this and that. We know we should tell the world, so we tell the world. We know that we should go to church, so we go to church. We know that we should read the bible, so we read the bible...you get the point. So there we find ourselves, doing what we know we are supposed to do. However, the Lord is not really interested in us just doing what we are supposed to do. If He was, He would not have died on a cross. You see, if it was all about doing, the law would have served just fine. However, His desire is not for us to find ourselves in doing, rather to find ourselves in being. Sometimes we find ourselves, say at a university, surrounded by those who have no interest in anything greater than what is surrounding them and attainable. The crowd seams to, with single-mindedness, pursue a purpose that does not agree with the purposes of God. It is at this point that our doing fails. It fails because we now have something else to do. We become divided in heart, purpose, and vision. Doing church, bible study, prayer, and the acts of the Christian life seam to fade away. It is at this point that Jesus calls to us, and beckons us to be with Him--to enter a life of being with Him!

My friend Donny's reply was so right on, he said, "I do not want anyone telling me what to do..." he spoke the truth. See, doing is a response of a life lived out of obligation or fear. Being on the other hand, is a life lived out of gratitude! One says, "I will do because I do not want hell...or I will do because I want to go to heaven." The other says, " I will do because I am not going to hell."

So there we find ourselves. Raised in the church--in fact we went to Christian school; our parents serve at our proverbial church back home. We know the scriptures, we can sing along with all of the songs--we can even clap on beat (unlike the guy behind you!), we have learned to do doing well. However it is not who we are. When we sit alone--all religiosity aside--when it is just us and the Lord, it is not who we are. Our doing has convinced us that we are, yet we are not. Now we have the choice to make. Will I settle for doing, or is this Jesus thing actually what I want to be?

Actions are birthed out of our inner desires...our inner desires birth actions. God has prepared us for good works. However sometimes we begin the good works before we are prepared for them! You see, the preparation comes when we make the decision that the life that I will live is no longer going to be a life that is lived for my purposes, rather the purposes of God. The preparation comes when we decide that doing is no longer enough.

Back