Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

My PC is to fast

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
My son has one that is just about like that. It has provisions for water cooling, if you want to push it to max. His at present only has four fans, about the size of the one on the side of the one in your post. Its a quad core, 64 bit Intel processor. Its a raid system with two 250 gig sata drives, and I think if I remember right 10 gigs of RAM. It also has two 6" fans mounted on the processor heat sink.

The case it is mounted in is on wheels so you can move it, its about three times as big as my 1.2 gig machine. Which is in an old Gateway 5 bay case.

Way too much junk for me. :)

Regulating Temperature

Holy Lewis.

I wonder if the hdd media is at risk from the magnetic flux ?

Sheesh. Now I know my problems are small.

Lately Ive been running a really clunky perl script,
on my Ubuntu machine,
which will take several weeks to complete its task,
and Im running into heat issues also.

Since my system board isnt smart enuf
to reduce the clock cycles on its own,
I got lazy and added this to the script:

Code:
################################################## Check sys health:
# for sensors version 3.0.0 with libsensors version 3.0.0,  
# Not tested on windows. Run from the command line: 
# "perl /whatever/full/path/whatevername.pl" without the quotes

do {
    $ss = `sensors`;					# execute sensors program and capture output
    @valz = split(/\n/,$ss);				# break it down into lines

foreach $val(@valz) {
       if ($val =~ /CPU Temp:    \+(\d+)\.(\d+)°C/) {	# you could add the voltages here
           $ctemp = "$1";
       }
       if ($val =~ /SYS Temp:    \+(\d+)\.(\d+)°C/) {
           $stemp = "$1";
       }
        if ($val =~ /SBr Temp:    \+(\d+)\.(\d+)°C/) {
           $btemp = "$1";
       }
       if ($val =~ /CPU Fan:    (\d+) RPM/) {		# dont let the names fool you: verify manually
           $pfan = "$1";
       }
       if ($val =~ /P\/S Fan:    (\d+) RPM/) {
           $sfan = "$1";
       }
    }
    if (($stemp > 50) || ($pfan < 4000)|| ($sfan < 2000)) {	# specify your limits, with inputs u care about
       if ($stemp < 60) {
          if ($stemp =~ /(\d{1})(\d{1})/) {
             $sleep = "$2";
          }
       } else {
           print " \a Clean";					# hear the screams
           sleep 1;
           print " \a Yer";
           sleep 1;
           print " \a Heatsinks \n OVER HEATED AND QUIT, \n reading $afile at line $linenum \n \n";
           exit;
       }
       print "leep $sleep. \n TEMPs $stemp and $btemp and $ctemp and \n FANs $pfan and $sfan \n";
       sleep $sleep;						# chill... "So shall thy poverty come..."
    }
    sleep 20;				# Take this line out to use this in a[nother] horrible resource hogging script
 } until ($stemp  < 41);		# specify a ridiculously low value to keep alive, much higher to run once.
exit;
############################################### Don't hate me forever Tom:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0596003137?tag=chrisforum0c-20

If you tweek, you can get it to control the script run-away.
If you have a barn fan, (eh hem), or have Siberia-on-die, you might not care.

Dust in the Wind

Lewis W said:
I was just kidding
Ho Ho Ho. Strange that you brot it up tho.

I remounted my punie heat sink on artic silver paste,
and added an 80mm case fan, but I can still only get about
75% out of my processor at temps I like.

I think a gallon jug of water
pulled out of the refrigerator every morning
might work, if I connect a heat pipe
adapter to it, so I'll keep my eye peeled
for the bottom half of something similar to this:

OCZ Vendetta 2

Then I wont have a five pound cooler dangling on my CPU socket,
but if I pay that much for air cooling,
I'll want a Volkswagon attached.

Hey, how do I post "target blank" urls in BBcode?

My PC is too AIR TIGHT

Nick_29 said:
You should get it nitrogen or hydrogen cooled! :lol

Im all for nitrogen in your RV tires, (Get Nitrogen),

and hydrogen for fuelling standby power, (Relion),

but dont understimate the power of
taking the side off your tower and
adding Lewis's barn fan paradigm.

For me, a twenty dollar (12 inch) table fan
makes about a 50% difference in processor speed
(which amounts to only about 1 Celcius degree),
(or 1.8 F), because I have my tower in a
closet for lower signal-to-noise
when Im recording audio.

Well who here uses a temperature monitoring program on their rig, one that sits in the tray or the upper right side of the screen, and one with a alarm ?

What temperature should my processor be running at?
Question:

What temperature should my processor be running at?
Answer:

Depending on the type of processor, the manufacturer, how fast it runs, where the sensor is located, and what programs it is currently running will determine the temperature of what the processor should be. However, this document should give you a general idea of what the processor should be running at as well as what is acceptable and what is not.

The majority of today's desktop processors should not exceed temperatures of 95C and most will run between 70-90C. Below are some charts of many of the processors and their average temperatures. Keep in mind this is only to give our users a general idea of what their processor should be running at. If you believe your computer is running to hot, you may wish to skip to the bottom of this document for additional details on how to get exact information about what your processor should be running at.

TexLoc Quick Reference - Celsius to Fahrenheit conversion chart
http://www.texloc.com/closet/cl_cel_fah_chart.html

Processors Average temperature
AMD Athlon 90C - 95C
AMD Athlon64 65C - 70C
AMD Athlon64 Mobile 95C - 100C
AMD Athlon MP 90C - 95C
AMD Athlon XP 85C - 90C
AMD Duron 85C - 95C
AMD Opteron 65C - 71C
AMD Sempron 90C - 95C
AMD K5 60C - 70C
AMD K6 65C - 70C
AMD K6 Mobile 80C - 85C
AMD K7 Thunderbird 70C - 95C
Intel Pentium II 65C - 75C
Intel Pentium III 60C - 85C
Intel Celeron 67C - 85C
Intel Pentium Mobile 100C
Intel Pentium Pro 80C - 85C

How will I know if my processor is running too hot?

If a processor gets too hot you will notice one or more of the below situations. Often these issues will be encountered when running programs or especially when playing an advanced game.

Computer runs much slower - Additional causes to this issue can be found on document CH000179.

Computer restarts - Additional causes to this issue can also be found on document CH000605.

Computer turns off - Additional causes to this issue can also be found on document CH000689.

Continuing to use a computer that has a processor that is exceeding its temperature will reduce the life expectancy of the processor.

Note: It's possible that with some computer configurations that the thermal sensors may not be positioned in an optimal location, causing the temperature to be reported cooler or hotter than it actually is. If your temperature is close to exceeding the maximum temperature or you are experiencing the above issues, you may want to continue reading the below recommendations for getting your computer cooler.

What can I do to get my processor cooler?

The cooler the processor runs the more performance you are going to get out of it. Therefore, if you're looking to overclock your processor or if it's getting too hot, you may need to consider any or all of the below recommendations.

1. Improve computer's environment - Make sure the computer is running in a good location. The computer should not be in an enclosed space such as a drawer or cabinet unless there is plenty of ventilation such as the back of the drawer or cabinet is removed. The computer should not be in a tight space, there should be at least a two-inch space on both sides of the computer as well as in the front and back of the computer.
2. Verify fans - Make sure all fans in the computer are properly working. Some motherboards and computers have fan monitors that will display the RPM of each of the major fans in the computer and if they are operating properly. Otherwise, you will need to check each of the fans and look for any type of spinning issues or listen for any abnormal noises to determine if the fans are properly working.
3. More fans - Consider installing additional fans into the computer. Almost all computers will come included with a heatsink and fan, as well as a case fan. However, most cases will have the availability to install a second case fan that can help bring in additional air and help keep the computer cool. Computer enthusiasts and many overclockers may also create their own air ducts with fans to help bring in additional air or take out more of the hot air.
4. Better fans - Many computers and processors will come with cheap fans to help bring down the overall cost of the computer. Installing improved fans and/or heatsinks that can move the heat away from the processor better and faster can keep the processor cool.
5. Alternative solutions - More advanced users or users who are overclocking may also wish to consider alternative solutions such as water cooled solutions to keep their processors cool.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back