Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study My personal journey of doctrine/theology

As a teenager, the last thing I wanted was to be a Christian. I was surrounded by Christians, most of whom were self-absorbed, stuck in sin, and anti-intellectual. I thought Christianity was a crutch for stupid people. My own developing worldview was drifting toward Buddhism. At age 17, I had a supernatural encounter with Jesus, and He told me to follow Him. Been a Christian ever since.

Started reading the Bible in my own spare time. It was very different from the conventional doctrines I heard in church. Couldn't figure out how the mainstream churches had got from Point A to Point B. Quickly discovered the conventional doctrines are not to be questioned.

My avarice for knowledge led me to search for the best doctrinal understanding. Spent some time studying the OT in Hebrew. Did a deep dive into Genesis. Another deep dive into sanctification. Heard every argument on soteriology. Visited a few Catholic churches. Tried to read the book of Mormon. Read books on faith healing. Got a strong grasp of the Trinity. Listened to hundreds of hours of advanced doctrinal teaching.

One day I was knee-deep in studying the meaning of a particular verse. Found out there were 40 known interpretations of that one verse. Started tracing some of these debates back through the early church, and saw how old they were.

Ended up on Ecclesiastes. What is there for man to do, but finish his work, eat his dinner, and go to bed. Micah -- what is there to do but seek justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God. Jesus -- what are the greatest commands, but to love God and love your neighbor. Paul to Thessalonica -- work with your hands and mind your own business.

If your right hand is harming you, cut it off. Even if right hands are a good thing to have. Some are eunuchs for the kingdom.

This in itself is a doctrinal position. It is the doctrine I'm content to live by.

Yes, and for this very cause adding on your part all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence; and in moral excellence, knowledge; and in knowledge, self-control; and in self-control perseverance; and in perseverance godliness; and in godliness brotherly affection; and in brotherly affection, love. For if these things are yours and abound, they make you to not be idle or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. -- 2 Peter 1:5-8

This is the sum of my doctrinal viewpoint. Meanwhile I've found that I really connect with the general principles of stoicism.

And that's the story of my theology.

Many different doctrines and interpretations that have gone out into the world that can confuse the carnal mind as many reason by logic trying to make sense of the word of God. If you have the Spiritual mind of Christ in whom sent us the Holy Spirit to indwell and teach us all truths then we need no worldly man to teach us. John 14:26; 1 Corinthians 2:6-16; 1 John 2:18-29; 1 John 4:1-6.

I used to think it was a cop-out when people said Jesus is their teacher. I’ve come to see that He is truly our shepherd, and that He and Holy Spirit must truly be our teachers.

As a teenager, the last thing I wanted was to be a Christian. I was surrounded by Christians, most of whom were self-absorbed, stuck in sin, and anti-intellectual. I thought Christianity was a crutch for stupid people. My own developing worldview was drifting toward Buddhism. At age 17, I had a supernatural encounter with Jesus, and He told me to follow Him. Been a Christian ever since.

Started reading the Bible in my own spare time. It was very different from the conventional doctrines I heard in church. Couldn't figure out how the mainstream churches had got from Point A to Point B. Quickly discovered the conventional doctrines are not to be questioned.

My avarice for knowledge led me to search for the best doctrinal understanding. Spent some time studying the OT in Hebrew. Did a deep dive into Genesis. Another deep dive into sanctification. Heard every argument on soteriology. Visited a few Catholic churches. Tried to read the book of Mormon. Read books on faith healing. Got a strong grasp of the Trinity. Listened to hundreds of hours of advanced doctrinal teaching.

One day I was knee-deep in studying the meaning of a particular verse. Found out there were 40 known interpretations of that one verse. Started tracing some of these debates back through the early church, and saw how old they were.

Ended up on Ecclesiastes. What is there for man to do, but finish his work, eat his dinner, and go to bed. Micah -- what is there to do but seek justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with your God. Jesus -- what are the greatest commands, but to love God and love your neighbor. Paul to Thessalonica -- work with your hands and mind your own business.

If your right hand is harming you, cut it off. Even if right hands are a good thing to have. Some are eunuchs for the kingdom.

This in itself is a doctrinal position. It is the doctrine I'm content to live by.

Yes, and for this very cause adding on your part all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence; and in moral excellence, knowledge; and in knowledge, self-control; and in self-control perseverance; and in perseverance godliness; and in godliness brotherly affection; and in brotherly affection, love. For if these things are yours and abound, they make you to not be idle or unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. -- 2 Peter 1:5-8

This is the sum of my doctrinal viewpoint. Meanwhile I've found that I really connect with the general principles of stoicism.

And that's the story of my theology.
I love that passage from 2Peter
Thanks for sharing your testimony AChristianStoic It was great to read. A spiritual encounter with Jesus - how beautiful.

Back