Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

[ Testimony ] My testimony

FrMattCH

As a youth I had the following split family: Mom's side - All German Roman Catholic. Dad's side - Scotch Irish Protestant, predominately Presbyterian. In 1991 I became knowledgable of a non-denominational that was very progressive. I knew of Amy Grant, but this band Petra? Wow, Just incredible stuff. So you can imagine, RC Mass on Sat. and Presbytery on Sun.
I entered active duty U.S. Marine Corps in 1993. I had participated in the Somalia campaign, Haiti, been a member of the TRAPP team that rescued Scott O'Grady after being shot down in Bosnia. I returned to Bosnia the following year as well as Albania, Turkey and a few other places.
During this time period I did my deacon tenure with Navy Captain, Priest-Chaplain Monsignor Mike O'Malley. It was great, he was a great educator. I left the Marines in 97 with 2 knee braces, hearing loss, and PTSD and Traumatic Brain Injury.
Fast forward to 2011... I have graduated from a 4 yrs. bachelor program from State University. Master's Certificate in Theology, Master's Certificate in Christian Counseling, Ordained Commissioned Chaplain. Ordained RC Priest with the Diocese. All this with the power of Christ and the help of my high school sweetheart and wife of 11 yrs.
Here is the great part, Jesus Christ has led me in to Prison ministry, trauma care, I help at food banks, confessions. But I spend most time with disabled veterans and PTSD support groups.
Jesus loves and blesses those who seek him.

Great testimony... thanks for sharing! :thumbsup

Now for the obvious question I'm sure you get asked about quite often... I honestly thought that ordained RC priests couldn't be married?

That is Latin rite. Ecclesiastical. Since Post Vatican II, if you were confirmed Catholic etc. it is ok. A lot of the "Deacon's" you see next to the "Head Priest" are really married priests. But I am non parish. Most of Catholic work is done as a Chaplains role anyway. The parish for Catholic Schools isn't even 30%. FWIW: there are twice as many converted Lutheran now Catholic Priests and the like than straight from high school to seminary celibate men. There are a ton coming from the Espiscopalian and Anglican as well. Plus my Deacon ordination was through the Archdiocese for th e Military Services, USA. Plus when Chaplaincy training was over it was asked that I be a RC Chaplain since we are in very tight supply. You have to be a priest not a deacon for the sacraments. Since I had been through all RC rites and deacon time and requirements it fit well as this is the path I wanted as well.
Long story short: if you weren't married before you can't become. If you are already then fine, but when your wife dies then you can't remarry.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol My daughter's cat, Mr. Mittens...he wasn't exactly happy that she decided to dress him up...and even less to have his picture taken.

There's a special place in kitty heaven for Mr. Mittens!

Back to your testimony, it's amazing how God brings us through things... even terrible things and then we see how He uses these things so that we can help others. Ministering to others tends to be the best healing there is... at least I've found it to be so.

This is true. Sharing the good news is just so powerful. I take meds for pain, inflammation, PTSD, anxiety, mood control. But I could not be happier and more fulfilled. I counsel police as well as prisoner. It just really fires me up when I see that gleem in others eyes when they have that a-ha moment. Christ is just absolutely amazing.

Back