Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[__ Prayer __] My war of ages

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
So I have a decision. I can choose life, or I can choose death. I can pick up my cross and follow Him, or drop it because its too heavy and run away like a coward. I have been fighting a particular addiction for well over ten years now. An addiction in the mind is a terrible thing to have. Even though I do not watch it, I still can't escape because it enters my dreams. Literally, I dream about it. To not be able to escape something at night in your sleep is a torturous thing.

I've finally come to a conclusion: Only a coward would run away. I choose the cross, to follow my savior. I've been reading through the book of Psalms each morning, learning about Davids struggles and how he constantly trusted in and ran to God in times of trouble. He prayed for God to be his mighty tower, a place of refuge. For God to save him from and destroy his enemy in a single blow. The one that most relates to me is Psalm 13. David prays for relief from despair; "How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul, with sorrow in my heart every day?" For ten long years, that was me. Fighting a losing battle, wondering when it would end. I would overcome just to fall again. But David goes on to say "But I trust in your unfailing love. I will rejoice because you have rescued me." I put my trust in God, and he has rescued me. He saw me fighting, surrounded at all turns, crying out to him, and he has come down to save me. Jeremiah 29:13 "You will seek me and find me when you search for me with all of your heart." I have given Him all that I am. I have opened up my heart so he may take his rightful place in my life. May the enemy tremble before His might, and flee before Him.

I don't know how long I've gone without watching anything. I choose not to keep track, for even one day away from it is a victory for me. I have no Internet filters, no tracking logs, and no accountability partners. There are only two people on this Earth that know of my problems; one I don't talk to anymore and the other gets uncomfortable when I talk about it. I'm a computer scientist, so I'm in front of a computer all the time and I know ways around filters and logs. Great career choice for what I struggle with, right? :lol I do love what I do though.

Even though there is nothing and nobody stopping me, Christ is stronger than anything in this world. I put my faith and trust in Him alone. I no longer fight this battle alone, but I fight alongside the one who has already claimed victory. I love the description John gives us of Jesus in Revelation 1:14-16. The all knowing, all seeing, all powerful Lord of Lords, who is so high and mighty his face shines like the sun. I don't know about the rest of the world, but thats who I want on my side! When I struggle, I run to Him. When he helps me overcome, I praise Him. Spending time daily in the Word has helped me so much with this (shocker!). Every morning I read a few verses and prepare for the battle to come. I'm not sure if this is an addiction from which a man can simple overcome in time. This stuff is everywhere; movies, magazines, television, the way women dress these days. So I'm asking of you, my fellow brothers and sisters, to keep me in your prayers. I would greatly appreciate it. May the Lord let us all share in His victory this day, and forever to come.

Last edited:
Fear not.
God knows our heart.
Jesus struggled as we struggle.
He became a man and has returned to His home in heaven knowing our battles.
If you love Him, He'll always love you back more.
We're all sinners.

W

So I have a decision. I can choose life, or I can choose death. I can pick up my cross and follow Him, or drop it because its too heavy and run away like a coward. I have been fighting a particular addiction for well over ten years now. An addiction in the mind is a terrible thing to have. Even though I do not watch it, I still can't escape because it enters my dreams. Literally, I dream about it. To not be able to escape something at night in your sleep is a torturous thing.

I've finally come to a conclusion: Only a coward would run away. I choose the cross, to follow my savior. I've been reading through the book of Psalms each morning, learning about Davids struggles and how he constantly trusted in and ran to God in times of trouble. He prayed for God to be his mighty tower, a place of refuge. For God to save him from and destroy his enemy in a single blow. The one that most relates to me is Psalm 13. David prays for relief from despair; "How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul, with sorrow in my heart every day?" For ten long years, that was me. Fighting a losing battle, wondering when it would end. I would overcome just to fall again. But David goes on to say "But I trust in your unfailing love. I will rejoice because you have rescued me." I put my trust in God, and he has rescued me. He saw me fighting, surrounded at all turns, crying out to him, and he has come down to save me. Jeremiah 29:13 "You will seek me and find me when you search for me with all of your heart." I have given Him all that I am. I have opened up my heart so he may take his rightful place in my life. May the enemy tremble before His might, and flee before Him.

I don't know how long I've gone without watching anything. I choose not to keep track, for even one day away from it is a victory for me. I have no Internet filters, no tracking logs, and no accountability partners. There are only two people on this Earth that know of my problems; one I don't talk to anymore and the other gets uncomfortable when I talk about it. I'm a computer scientist, so I'm in front of a computer all the time and I know ways around filters and logs. Great career choice for what I struggle with, right? :lol I do love what I do though.

Even though there is nothing and nobody stopping me, Christ is stronger than anything in this world. I put my faith and trust in Him alone. I no longer fight this battle alone, but I fight alongside the one who has already claimed victory. I love the description John gives us of Jesus in Revelation 1:14-16. The all knowing, all seeing, all powerful Lord of Lords, who is so high and mighty his face shines like the sun. I don't know about the rest of the world, but thats who I want on my side! When I struggle, I run to Him. When he helps me overcome, I praise Him. Spending time daily in the Word has helped me so much with this (shocker!). Every morning I read a few verses and prepare for the battle to come. I'm not sure if this is an addiction from which a man can simple overcome in time. This stuff is everywhere; movies, magazines, television, the way women dress these days. So I'm asking of you, my fellow brothers and sisters, to keep me in your prayers. I would greatly appreciate it. May the Lord let us all share in His victory this day, and forever to come.
It is an unrelenting temptation and my prayer to the Master is for your strength. I have fought this fight also and did not get a grip on it unti I was 45, when I came to our LORD. May God always bless your efforts.

There is hope in his name. Trust me.

I struggled with a severe gambling addiction for 27 years. It plagued me, it haunted me, it controlled me, it woke me every night with guilt, it was with me when I arose in the morning. I would find myself gambling and not even knew I was in the gambling establishment.

5 years ago God graciously healed me. I don't even have to fight it. There were issues that caused me to gamble and God graciously broke them down.

As I said there is hope in his name. Be like Jacob, cling on to the very foot of God and don't let go.

Jesus we lift fallensoldier up to you. Heal the addiction, heal/deal with any issues that may be causing this addiction.
We pray for strength and faith in this battle in the knowledge that you are the General who has already won the battle.

We ask this in your name.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back