Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Need help on John 13:31-32

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Riverwolf

I spent alot of time this morning on these two verses and the term "glorified". I used the NIV, NKJV, NLT, and the ERV translations. I am still not sure and would appreciate any other users input, thanks in advance.

Joh 13:32 If God be glorified in him, God shall also glorify him in himself, and shall straightway glorify him.
Joh 13:33 Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you.

31When he had left, Jesus said, Now is the Son of Man glorified! [Now He has achieved His glory, His honor, His exaltation!] And God has been glorified through and in Him. 32And if God is glorified through and in Him, God will also glorify Him in Himself, and He will glorify Him at once and not delay. Amplified

Mathew Henery comentary
Joh 12:27-33
The sin of our souls was the troubled of Christ's soul, when he undertook to redeem and save us, and to make his soul an offering for our sin. Christ was willing to suffer, yet prayed to be saved from suffering. Prayer against trouble may well agree with patience under it, and submission to the will of God in it. Our Lord Jesus undertook to satisfy God's injured honour, and he did it by humbling himself. The voice of the Father from heaven, which had declared him to be his beloved Son, at his baptism, and when he was transfigured, was heard proclaiming that He had both glorified his name, and would glorify it. Christ, reconciling the world to God by the merit of his death, broke the power of death, and cast out Satan as a destroyer. Christ, bringing the world to God by the doctrine of his cross, broke the power of sin, and cast out Satan as a deceiver. The soul that was at a distance from Christ, is brought to love him and trust him. Jesus was now going to heaven, and he would draw men's hearts to him thither. There is power in the death of Christ to draw souls to him. We have heard from the gospel that which exalts free grace, and we have heard also that which enjoins duty; we must from the heart embrace both, and not separate them.

Last edited by a moderator:
reba - Thank you for replying to my thread. I have begun to wonder if I need a new breath mint? I ask alot of questions here because it is obvious that there is an abundance of members with vastly superior biblical skills. I don't know, is this too stupid of a question? Still I do not understand the terms "glorify", and "glorified". Or why God would want or need "glory". Below is from the NIV1984, maybe the worst translation to me.

31 When he was gone, Jesus said, “Now is the Son of Man glorified and God is glorified in him.
32 If God is glorified in him, God will glorify the Son in himself, and will glorify him at once.

Those 2 verses are next just after the betrayal of judas.. The begining of the end of the 'earthly 'life of Christ. He is soon to be lifted up, on the cross. His purpose of being born, the Lamb that takes away the sins of the world... is just hours hours away The whole of God so loving the world He sent His only begotten Son.....

Hope i have not farther confused you

Mouth wash? :) the site was down for some hours....

reba- Thanks again. But I understand all that. What I do not get at all is "glory". Used five times in two verses. Glory sounds like the football team, hardly something God would need or even be concerned with. So, clarify me some more? :)

reba- Thanks again. But I understand all that. What I do not get at all is "glory". Used five times in two verses. Glory sounds like the football team, hardly something God would need or even be concerned with. So, clarify me some more? :)

I'd like to share with you a small portion of a vision of Heaven that someone was given by God that resonated with my spirit... We'll call the man's name William.

William found himself at the throne room of God and was unable to barely move, let alone stand, so he laid out on the 'floor'. All he could lift his head enough to see was the feet of Jesus standing before Him, with the 'glory' of God, like a thick mist, or cloud behind Him. He spoke with Jesus for a time and then Jesus said, "I will speak with My Father", and suddenly He turned His head to speak to the Father, and as He began to communicate with Him, He began to be received back into the mist, so that He was completely obliterated from sight. After a while He emerged from that mist, and spoke again to William, after which he was soon sent back to His normal life.

The thing that really struck me was the fact that God's glory was in that cloud, that mist, and as the Father and the Son have communion with one another, the glory is all over them!

I was awestruck by William's vision, and the realization that the glory of God is a real, tangible thing in heaven as it was on earth as the pillar of cloud before the Israelites.

Thanks all. I found a commentary site online called "Heartlights"? Anyway it seems like what I was looking for. Also noticed just today the sticky for Bible Resources here. Boy, I miss all my J. Vernon Mcgee books. They are somewhere in storage for now.

Thanks all. I found a commentary site online called "Heartlights"? Anyway it seems like what I was looking for. Also noticed just today the sticky for Bible Resources here. Boy, I miss all my J. Vernon Mcgee books. They are somewhere in storage for now.

Now I am intrigued! Would you mind sharing what you learned from that site concerning your quest about the glory of God?

Now I am intrigued! Would you mind sharing what you learned from that site concerning your quest about the glory of God?

Sorry for the wording of my post. I meant that maybe I found a site to explain verse by verse. I understand that those sites will mostly be one persons perspective. However if when using multiple sites all agree, then I will be ahead. That is why I like my Vernon Mcgee books because he stops every other verse or so and explains. I can not get to those books for awhile yet. No, for the life of me, I still do not see why glory would be of importance to God.

One of my favorite online Bible tools is the Blue Letter Bible.
It can be found at blueletterbible.org <<--- add the www. part

We can find the Greek word and see what it means. Essentially it means to give honor to somebody. Other words that are similar would include praise or magnify or celebrate somebody. Jesus was saying, "This is the hour of glory, it's all coming down now." He was telling them prophetically what was happening (behind the scenes) so that when they saw it (his betrayal and crucifixion) with their eyes and experienced it with him -- that they would later look back, remember what he said, that it was the hour of glory -- and be able to see what really happened.

He said, "I give you a new commandment," in the same context. They knew all the commandments, that they should Love God above all else. They had just watched Jesus give honor to Judas (he gave him the "sop" --the choice meats-- by dipping bread into the shared meal and giving it to him who was on his right hand - Judas) -- and Jesus said that he had a new command, that they should love each other just like Jesus loved them.

He honored the one who would betray him. Judas didn't accept the place that was offered and continued is hidden plan. But Jesus saw behind what was happening. That he (Jesus) would be glorified and that he would honor and glorify and magnify his Father.

There's more to it and I'd like to encourage you to listen to Jon's Commentary.
To do so, go to blueletterbible.org -- search and find the scripture you're interested in -- then click "C" to look at the Greek Concordance and read the definitions. To hear the commentary on the Windows Media Player - click on "L" (on the left) and then scroll down to the Jon Courson commentary.

BlueLetterBiblegraphic.png

If you do listen, you may want to skip or fast forward past the first 30 minutes or so. He speaks about the scripture you're wondering about briefly after the first 44 minutes.

Enjoy.

He said, "I give you a new commandment," in the same context. They knew all the commandments, that they should Love God above all else. They had just watched Jesus give honor to Judas (he gave him the "sop" --the choice meats-- by dipping bread into the shared meal and giving it to him who was on his right hand - Judas) -- and Jesus said that he had a new command, that they should love each other just like Jesus loved them.

Just a side note, and perhaps a bit off thread. But noteworthy nonetheless. Perhaps what made the commandment now "new" was he fact that the disciples now had a standard to which to measure.

It is one thing for me to instruct my children to take someone out to dinner. It's another thing when I say, "just as, just like" I've done for you. If I took them to an expensive steakhouse and they in turn took someone to Burger King, "just as" will not do. Yes, they took someone out to dinner, but it certainly wasn't according to the same standard in which I've done to them.

A standard has been set. A measuring stick provided.

That same measuring stick also holds true when Jesus spoke those words "just as" in John 17:11, 21-23.

Thanks, Sparrowhawk for keeping me in check and reminding me of the type of relationship I am privy to with the Godhead!

Be blessed, Stay blessed!

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back