Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Need Help w/ Theology

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

OK_Shane

I am currently taking Theology 201 and I am struggling with it. I am getting the concept of theology as a whole. I understand inspiration and inerrancy and such. I just can’t seem to get it all to flow and make sense. As I read the required reading assignments I am blown away and begin to feel lost as the words start to look like a jumbled mess, and I am about useless when it comes to using scripture to back up my thought processes. I have an essay due this next monday and I am already starting to sweat.

Is anyone here smart on theology? Has anyone here studied it? Is anyone here willing to proofread my essay(s) and provided un-biased feedback? They are short, no more than 800 words. I have the grading rubic as well.

I am currently taking Theology 201 and I am struggling with it. I am getting the concept of theology as a whole. I understand inspiration and inerrancy and such. I just can’t seem to get it all to flow and make sense. As I read the required reading assignments I am blown away and begin to feel lost as the words start to look like a jumbled mess, and I am about useless when it comes to using scripture to back up my thought processes. I have an essay due this next monday and I am already starting to sweat.

Is anyone here smart on theology? Has anyone here studied it? Is anyone here willing to proofread my essay(s) and provided un-biased feedback? They are short, no more than 800 words. I have the grading rubic as well.

Not exactly sure what you assignment is or the nature of the class, in terms of what exactly is being taught regarding theology, but post your essay and tell us what the subject of it is. Be happy to look at it.

Usually, Christian theology is considered biblicaly systematic in logic, but it's not a science as much as it is a philosophical concept, and for this reason it varies.

Hi Shane.

I think a good thing to remember is that it's the Biblical content that is the really important part of theology. Plus — essentially, even — the prayerful dependence on the Spirit of God to guide one into all truth (John 16.33).

Superimposing someone else's logical system onto Biblical content might seem neat. And there might be various devices used to help people remember facts, and so forth. But one should never forget the big picture of seeking by faith to see, more and more, the living and eternal Word Himself.

For some people, then, the academic study of theology is profitable; for others, it's not.

Blessings.

Not exactly sure what you assignment is or the nature of the class, in terms of what exactly is being taught regarding theology, but post your essay and tell us what the subject of it is. Be happy to look at it.

Usually, Christian theology is considered biblicaly systematic in logic, but it's not a science as much as it is a philosophical concept, and for this reason it varies.

Hi Shane.

I think a good thing to remember is that it's the Biblical content that is the really important part of theology. Plus — essentially, even — the prayerful dependence on the Spirit of God to guide one into all truth (John 16.33).

Superimposing someone else's logical system onto Biblical content might seem neat. And there might be various devices used to help people remember facts, and so forth. But one should never forget the big picture of seeking by faith to see, more and more, the living and eternal Word Himself.

For some people, then, the academic study of theology is profitable; for others, it's not.

Blessings.

Thanks to both of you for the replies. The assignment is basically explain how the Bible is authoritative and without error. Basically looking to explain authority, inerrancy and inspiration and how they impact how I live my life in 600-800 words.

I feel so far after posting this thread I am comfortable with the definitions of all three words, I just need to get those definitions into my own words.

I am learning as you said farouk, that I must read ALL the different things being taught in this class with an open mind and continue to look to the Bible and God for some of my own answers.

Theology is not easy - it takes works and study. If you are feeling all at sea I assure you such is natural and you are not alone. You are to be commended for your interest.

Read as widely as you can around the subject matter. A good biblical dictionary is alway a help and don't be afraid of goggling either - despite what you may think there is really solid stuff out there. Wikipedia is a good start and if you follow the links on the bottom you will find heaps more stuff. I just goggled 'inerrancy' and got over 800 000 hits - that should keep you going.

The biggest hurdle you will face, with which all students of theology face, is how to reorganize your faith in light of what you read. There is not easy way around this - it is part of the growing process. Stick with it.

...... The assignment is basically explain how the Bible is authoritative and without error. Basically looking to explain authority, inerrancy and inspiration and how they impact how I live my life in 600-800 words.

I feel so far after posting this thread I am comfortable with the definitions of all three words, I just need to get those definitions into my own words.

Your limited to only 800 words. Dang! :)

I think it's fair to say the bible is divinely inspired simply because it's so darn odd. It seems to go against our natural human tenancies and it's kind of crazy, but yet it makes sense from cover to cover. On that note it's inerrant because it fits together so logically, from one book to the next. From the foundation of the earth to the nature of God and man, the fall of man, the wrath of God, the saving of a people in Love, the foretelling of Christ, the grace of God in Christ.....there is so much to say about it, that it seems unfair to limit it to 800 words, but I think you'll be just fine.

Obviously there are a variety of theologies and doctrines to consider, but I think writing on these matters regarding the bible is a good place to start, because regardless of the differences in interpreting the bible, I've yet to meet any Christian who does not hold to the authority, inerrancy and divine inspiration of the bible. Good luck. :wave

Thanks to both of you for the replies. The assignment is basically explain how the Bible is authoritative and without error. Basically looking to explain authority, inerrancy and inspiration and how they impact how I live my life in 600-800 words.

I am learning as you said farouk, that I must read ALL the different things being taught in this class with an open mind and continue to look to the Bible and God for some of my own answers.
Greetings. As to the question of how the Bible is authoritative, English theologian NT Wright has some very clear ideas. Now I will state up front: many, especially those with what I will carefully call a "fundamentalist" leaning may well not agree with Wright. I suspect that Wright is correct in his basis position.

If you are looking for a carefully argued, thoughtful argument about the nature of Biblical authority, I suggest you could read this article:

http://ntwrightpage.com/Wright_Bible_Authoritative.htm

However, as already stated, Wright's ideas would arguably not sit well in a "fundamentalist" setting.

Hmmmmm.

For the essay I have no hints. For personal understanding I like Romans 1:19-20. Of course Romans 1 sends you off the beaten path a little. Some people try to use science to prove scripture wrong, and the Romans passage says science (things made by God) reveal a way to understand God.

I believe in genetics (made by God). I thus believe in scripture as the equal of genetics (the bible directs spiritual development; like genetics directs physical development). I do not suggest you spring those thoughts on folks without expecting some resistance though. Since there are no manuscripts from 80 AD describing genetics you face a lot of laughs (plants bearing seeds after their own kind may work for some folks but not others).

eddif

By reading your post, it sounds like you understand the doctrine of inspiration and inerrancy but you don't understand from whence it came.

When I took my Old Testament Theology class, our professor taught the basics. It starts with Exegesis. Good theology stems from good Exegesis and bad theology starts with bad exegesis.

There are many forms of exegesis, but it always starts with the biblical text and how we view those texts. While I prefer a more systematic approach through textual criticism, I also lean very heavily on the historical significance of the text. In other words, what was the culture surrounding the text? What was the thrust of the text trying to teach or counter? Every writer in the Bible has an agenda and if we can get behind the text, it helps us to receive the text as it was originally communicated. In short, the more supporting views you use to exegete the text, the stronger your redaction of those texts will be and this will be used to support your theology.

Once you have a piece of scripture properly exegeted in accordance to the bias, or better said your filter then redaction is the next step. In other words, you'll take your scriptures that you've properly exegeted and you'll thread them together with the exposed links and similarities and that will start to shape your theology.

I would caution that you not make the text fit your lense or rather, your bias. This is why I lean so heavily toward a historical perspective when I'm doing my exegesis on a portion of text.

Good luck!

First let me say thanks to everyone and their input. Although I may not have responded back immediately I wanted you to all know that the points helps.

Below is the essay I managed to compile, and got an A with.

Short Essay on Bibliology: Inspiration and Inerrancy of the Bible​

Who was authority over you? Your parents, the police, maybe your spouse? What books are being used to enforce that authority? Can you confirm that these books are published without error and from reliable writers, or is it your faith in the system that allows your leaders to reign supreme? God has authority over all of His creation, and His law book is the Bible. The same book that can be used in nations of all languages to show His laws are without error due to the inspiration in which it was written.

Authority is described as “the right and power to command, enforce laws, exact obedience, determine or judge.â€1 God declared His authority through His revelation to man. Romans 13:1 says “let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.†The verse shows that there is none higher than God. Therefore if there is none higher than God he holds all authority. In the King James Version of the Bible the term “thus saith the Lord†is used 413 times while the term “God said†is used 46 times.2 These numbers show the Bible or “Word of God,†comes from the mouth of the Lord who holds all authority therefore the Bible is authoritative.

Some may question the above by asking how do we know that the writers of the books of the Bible wrote as God had intend them to? This can be answered through inspiration. Inspiration is defined as “the supernatural guidance of the writers of Scripture by the Spirit of God, whereby what they wrote became the divine Word of God, transcribed accurately, reliably, and without error in the original manuscripts.â€3 To sum the definition up is to simply read; Christ inspired the writers of the Bible through the Holy Spirt. This definition is confirmed through passages in the Bible. 2 Timothy 3:16 states “all Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness.†While 2 Peter 1:21 states “for no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.â€

We have shown how the Bible is both authoritative and inspired by God, but how can one justify that it is error free, also known as inerrancy. Inerrancy is defined as “that which God revealed and inspired is accurate, reliable, authoritative, and without error.†When one looks at both the definitions of inspiration and inerrancy they will realize that the words are similar. They both state that God guided the writers of the Bible by the Spirit (inspired) and that it is accurate, reliable and without error (inerrancy). There are four arguments in regards to inerrancy of the Bible. These are discussed here in order of importance.

The Epistemological Argument basically states that if any of the Bible is to show error then any other claims the Bible makes are also false.4 The Slippery Slope Argument sees inerrancy of the Bible as so fundamental that it states “a denial of inerrancy starts down a slope that is slippery and ends in even greater error.â€5 Neither of these two arguments give the reader any real ground to stand on. They basically say if the Bible shows anything to be false, the whole Bible is false. Luckily we know that that the Bible is inerrant through history and the proof within the Bible itself. Historically the churches have supported inerrancy. The great reformer Calvin reminds us that we know that men have erred and therefore states “the Spirit of God...appears purposely to have regulated their style in such a manner, that they all wrote one and the same history, with the most perfect agreement, but in different ways.â€6 The most important argument for inerrancy is through the Bible itself. Psalms 19:7 says “the law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.†This verse shows that the Lord is perfect and that His testimony is sure. Knowing that the Lord is authoritative (Romans 13:1) and that he inspired the writers while guiding them with the Holy Spirit (2 Tim 3:16) allows us to believe that the Bible is error free.

Understanding that there is no authority except from God, that He inspired the Bible by breathing life into the words on the pages, and that these words are error free; I choose to use the Bible to shape my life and to live as Christ like as one can. In the words of Joshua “for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.†(Joshua 24:15)

Word count: # 798

2 Matt Slick, “Is the Bible Inspired?†Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry, http://carm.org/bible-inspired (accessed July 6, 2012).

3 Elmer L. Towns, Theology For Today (Mason, OH: Wadsworth/Thomson Learning, 2002), page Nr.897

4 Ibid page Nr. 158

5 Ibid page Nr. 158

6 Ibid page Nr. 158

Bibliography:
Elwell, Walter A.(Editor). Evangelical Dictionary of Theology [EVANGELICAL DICT OF THEOLOGY 2]. 2nd ed. Grand Rapids, MI, 2001.

Towns, Elmer L. Theology For Today. 2nd ed. Mason, OH.: Wadsworth Publishing Company, 2001

Slick, Matt. “Is the Bible Inspired?†Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry. http://carm.org/bible-inspired (accessed July 6, 2012).

Short Essay on Bibliology: Inspiration and Inerrancy of the Bible

Who was authority over you? Your parents, the police, maybe your spouse? What books are being used to enforce that authority? Can you confirm that these books are published without error and from reliable writers, or is it your faith in the system that allows your leaders to reign supreme? God has authority over all of His creation, and His law book is the Bible. The same book that can be used in nations of all languages to show His laws are without error due to the inspiration in which it was written.

Hmmmmm.

For the essay I have no hints. For personal understanding I like Romans 1:19-20. Of course Romans 1 sends you off the beaten path a little. Some people try to use science to prove scripture wrong, and the Romans passage says science (things made by God) reveal a way to understand God.

I believe in genetics (made by God). I thus believe in scripture as the equal of genetics (the bible directs spiritual development; like genetics directs physical development). I do not suggest you spring those thoughts on folks without expecting some resistance though. Since there are no manuscripts from 80 AD describing genetics you face a lot of laughs (plants bearing seeds after their own kind may work for some folks but not others).

eddif

Works for me.

eddif

On the one hand, I would enjoy an opportunity for learning. On the other hand, I see too much opportunity for arguing with the teachers.

Use logic, statement analysis, assign variables, and use Truth Tables. Sometimes an example, followed by a documentation of his reaction, is an amusing way to prove the authority of the Bible:

--- 312 words below ---

2 Samuel 24 & 1 Chronicles 21

Moved David to anger?

2Sa 24:1 And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah.

1Ch 21:1 And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.

ERROR: unlike variables: "moved" and "provoked".

NO DISCREPANCY.

P: the LORD moved

Q: Satan provoked

P ^ Q

Truth Table for P ^ Q.

View attachment 2577

2Sa 24:9 And Joab gave up the sum of the number of the people unto the king: and
there were in Israel eight hundred thousand valiant men that drew the sword; and the
men of Judah were five hundred thousand men.

1Ch 21:5 And Joab gave the sum of the number of the people unto David. And all they
of Israel were a thousand thousand and an hundred thousand men that drew sword: and
Judah was four hundred threescore and ten thousand men that drew sword.

P: “the sum†Israel “valiant menâ€. 2Sa 24:9.

Q: “the sum†Israel “800,000†2Sa 24:9.

~Q: “the sum†Israel “1,100,000â€. 1Ch 21:5.

IF the sum of Israel were valiant men (P), THEN their sum was 800,000 (Q).

The sum of Israel was 1,100,000 (~Q).

THEREFORE, NOT the sum of Israel were valiant men (~P).

P -> Q
~Q
├ ~P

VALID REASONING.

FACT: with regards to Israel, there is NO VARIABLE for "valiant men" in 1Ch 21:5.

P: “the sum†Judah “drew swordâ€. 1Ch 21:5.

Q: “the sum†Judah “470, 000â€. 1Ch 21:5.

~Q: “the sum†Judah “500,000â€. 2Sa 24:9.

IF the sum of Judah drew sword (P), THEN their sum was 470,000 (Q).

The sum of Judah was 500,000 (~Q).

THEREFORE, NOT the sum of Judah drew sword (~P).

P -> Q
~Q
├ ~P

VALID REASONING.

FACT:
with regards to Judah, there is NO VARIABLE for "drew sword" in 2Sa 24:9.

--- end ---

--- 315 words below ---

The "flyers" (CLV) or "winged" (Heb oph) of Leviticus 11.

Numberically 1-3, in Canonical Order from left to right:

1. KINGDOM. Animalia. 11:13-23.

2. PHYLUM Chordata. (Vertebrates.) 11:13-19. / PHYLUM Arthropoda. (11:20-23. (Invertebrates.)

3. CLASS Aves. 11:13-19-. / CLASS Mamalia. 11:-19. / CLASS Insecta. 11:20-23.

FACT: birds and the bat are the only living Chordate flyers on earth. (Other Chordates that use aerial locomotion do so by means OTHER than flying, eg, the "flying squirl" does NOT fly, but glides.)

FACT: the first group of organisms listed in Lev 11:13-19- are members of the CLASS Aves: birds.

FACT: the last organism listed in Lev 11:-19 is a member of the CLASS Mamalia: the bat.

FACT:
birds are NOT members of the CLASS Mamalia.

CONCLUSION: the bat is NOT a bird.

CONCLUSION: the bat is NOT the eagle. 11:13.

CONCLUSION: the bat is NOT the ossifrage. 11:13.

CONCLUSION:
the bat is NOT the ospray. 11:13.

CONCLUSION: the bat is NOT the vulture. 11:14.

CONCLUSION: the bat is NOT the kite. 11:14.

CONCLUSION:
the bat is NOT every raven. 11:15.

CONCLUSION:
the bat is NOT the owl. 11:16.

CONCLUSION:
the bat is NOT the night hawk. 11:16.

CONCLUSION:
the bat is NOT the cuckow. 11:16.

CONCLUSION: the bat is NOT the hawk. 11:16.

CONCLUSION:
the bat is NOT the little owl. 11:17.

CONCLUSION:
the bat is NOT the cormorant. 11:17.

CONCLUSION: the bat is NOT the great owl. 11:17.

CONCLUSION: the bat is NOT the swan. 11:18.

CONCLUSION: the bat is NOT the pelican. 11:18.

CONCLUSION:
the bat is NOT the gier eagle. 11:18

CONCLUSION:
the bat is NOT the stork. 11:19.

CONCLUSION: the bat is NOT the heron. 11:19.

CONCLUSION:
the bat is NOT the lapwing. 11:19.

INQUIRY: If Leviticus is UN-RELIABLE as a Taxonomic Source, then from the text of Leviticus 11:13-19, and the Scientific Classification System, LOGICALLY CONCLUDE that the bat is a bird...

--- end ---

Watch folks sing and dance and babble and provide every moot point to avoid the logic of that Text.

Good intro to inspiration Ok_Shane!

When I studied theology I came across anomalies that were not adequately explained by "inerrancy". It brought into question how “inspiration” was intended by God as is evidenced by the extant manuscripts. For instance, some of these manuscripts differ from each other, and when they differ, how do we choose the “inerrant” manuscript?

A couple of examples of this are the discrepancies found between the two Hebrew families of OT manuscripts; the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Masoretic Text. Both are Hebrew, but out of the two, the Dead Sea Scrolls are (in some instances) over 1500 years older than the Masoretic. The Dead Sea Scrolls represent the Hebrew which was used in the 1st century, whereas the oldest Masoretic manuscripts in existence date from about 900 AD. The differences between the two are place names, personal names, dates, and order of events. For instance, in the Minor Prophets a prophecy about Tyre in one manuscript will speak of Catharge in the other manuscript. Again, the Masoretic Text includes the Tetragrammaton almost 7000 times, whereas the Dead Sea Scrolls have the divine name a small handful of times, etc. Which manuscript has the error, and which is inerrant?

These variations are also found within other non-Masoretic manuscripts where there are a much greater amount of differences. The example below is a comparison of a quote in the NT which does not align with the Masoretic text:

All the people of the household ofJacob who were in Egypt numbered seventy.” (Genesis 46:27)

So Joseph sent a message and invited his father Jacob and all his relatives to come, seventy-five people in all. (Acts 7:14)

This is not an isolated scripture. There are literally dozens of examples like this. The scripture in non-Masoretic manuscripts of Genesis show the correct number to be 75, showing Luke did not use the Masoretic text for his translation.

The question arises: ‘Can we really use the word “inerrant” to define “inspiration” when the manuscripts clearly show conflicts and “errors”?’ My conclusion has been to say that our use of the word ‘inerrant’ is wrong, for the manuscript evidence does not allow for this idea. That does not mean to say that the bible is not inspired; but that errors were allowed under inspiration and they were given to us as our responsibility to attend to. It was also our responsability to decide which books were inspired. The errors that exist do not affect the overall message, and they do not require a lack of inspiration; but errors do exist, and we cannot pretend that this is not the case.

The word “inerrant” is a new term in the history of the church, and (in my opinion) it should be dropped completely; as this term does not reflect the manuscript evidence. According to an article in Theology Today, "It has in fact been noted that only in the last two centuries can we legitimately speak of a formal doctrine of inerrancy. The arguments pro and con have filled many books, and almost anyone can join in the debate". The word “inspiration” needs to be more adequately explained in the light of conflicting manuscripts. The entire debate needs to re-address the evidence since the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back