Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bible Study Nicolaitans, Jezebel, Balaam

for_his_glory

Fight the good fight of faith
2024 Supporter
Nicolaitans
The Nicolaitans were a Gentile heretic sect that converted over to Judaism to dominate others with their heretic teachings. Irenaeus, Hippolytus, Epiphanius, and Theodoret mentioned this group, and stated that the deacon Nicolas was the author of the heresy and the sect. The Nicolaitans are the followers of that Nicolas who was one of the seven first ordained to the diaconate by the apostles in AD 33, Acts 6:5. They lead lives of unrestrained indulgence as in eating things offered to idols. The teaching of the Nicolaitans was to dominate the people leading them astray from that of what Jesus taught and this goes against the teachings of Jesus, Matthew 20:25-28.

Jezebel
Scripture does not mention the spirit of Jezebel, but we see her name mentioned in 1&2 Kings and Rev 2 associated with the church of Thyatira. She was the daughter of Ethbaal king of Tyre/Sidon and priest of the cult of Baal. A cruel, sensuous and revolting false god. The worship of Baal involved sexual degradation and lewdness. King Ahab married Jezebel and led the nation into Baal worship. One of her traits was domineering and controlling others, especially in the spiritual realm. Not the spiritual realm of God, but the spiritual realm of Satan.

When she became queen she began to try and rid Israel from worshiping God. She ordered the extermination of all the prophets of God and replace their altars with those of Baal. There was a contest between her an Elijah over the power of God and the power of Baal. Needless to say she lost, but even after seeing the power of God she refused to repent and turn to God.

The phrase spirit of Jezebel in many churches today is the reality of Rev 2:18-20 as false prophets stand behind the pulpit seducing the congregation to as they are carried away with a false doctrine of man.

Rev 2:20 Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols. 21 And I gave her space to repent of her fornication; and she repented not. 22 Behold, I will cast her into a bed, and them that commit adultery with her into great tribulation, except they repent of their deeds. 23 And I will kill her children with death; and all the churches shall know that I am he which searcheth the reins and hearts: and I will give unto every one of you according to your works.

Balaam
Balaam is found in Numbers chapter 22-24. Balaam considers himself a non-Israelite, a diviner, a prophet and the son of Beor. Beor is a name which appears as a king and a diviner. Balak, king of Moab was afraid of the invasion of the Israelites as they outnumbered Balak's army so he asked Balaam to come and curse the people of Israel. God told Balaam in a vision that he should not go with Balak, but after the urging of Balak God allowed Balaam to go with him. Balaam mounted his donkey and left with the messengers of Balak. On the way and angel sent by God stood on the road with a sword drawn. The donkey saw the angel and swerved aside refusing to continue even when Balaam kept hitting the donkey with his stick. God caused the donkey to speak and the donkey started to complain against his ill treatment. Then was Balaam's eyes opened and he saw the angel. The angel told him to proceed with the men, but only to speak what the angel told him to say.

Balak came out to meet Balaam and reproached him for being late in coming to him. Balaam told him that he could only speak what God gives him to say. The next day Balak and Balaam went up on a high mountain to see the camp of the Israelites. Balaam ordered that seven altars be built and a bull and a ram were sacrificed on the altars. It was time for Balaam to stand and curse the people of Israel, but instead he uttered blessings upon them. Balak was angry and sent Balaam back to his own land. Balaam's last words to Balak was a prophecy that Israel would one day triumph over Moab. Instead of returning home Balaam stayed in the region and joined the Midianites. He suggested to them that the way to defeat Israel was to encourage them to be immoral and promiscuous. Balaam was killed in a battle where the Israelites defeated the Midianites.

Back