Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Honoring the Holy Spirit in Worship?

I believe the Holy Spirit is God, and is one of the Three Witnesses within the One God, but scripture testify the Father's will on how He wants us to honor Him by.

John 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

It is one thing to say how there is one way to honor the Father and that is by honoring the Son, but it is another thing to emphasize that when we are not honoring the Son, we are no longer honoring the Father.
Jesus is making that point of the Father's will clear as verse 22 testify that all believers will be judged by that.

Look at the commandment of His invitation on how we are to come to God the Father even in worship.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Is it a big deal?

John 10:1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber....7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

Many years ago, a brother from India online in another christian forum had informed me that he used to not believe that the Holy Spirit would do those dramatic manifestations like He did in the early church days, and then he went on to share what had changed his mind. One calender day called Pentecost, after having a Sunday school lesson on the Holy Spirit, they did a morning service honoring the Holy Spirit. He testified that he felt something like liquid nitrogen seeping through his skull and he began confessing an apology against his will to the Holy Spirit for not believing He would do those kinds of manifestations today as He did back then.

That was not the Holy Spirit seeping into his skull since the Holy Spirit was already in him by faith in Jesus Christ. 2 Corinthians 11:1-4 warned believers not to believe any one that testify of another Jesus or another spirit to receive, because in according to our faith, Jesus Christ is in us: 2 Corinthians 13:5.

Paul warned about this falling away from the faith in 1 Timothy 4:1-2 for which is why John said not to believe every spirit but test them in 1 John 4:1-6, even the tongues they bring; Isaiah 8:19 since vain & profane babbling was in the world before God's gift of tongues had come at Pentecost which is of other men's lips to speak unto the people ( 1 Corinthians 14:20-22 ) We are to prove everything and abstain from all appearances of evil with His help ( 1 Thessalonians 4:21-24 ).

The very apostasy is that if they feel a spirit coming over them when the real indwelling Holy Spirit is already in them, that is not the Holy Spirit. John 14:16-17 1 John 4:3-4

Yet why did God allow that to happen to a brother honoring the Holy Spirit in worship? Because the indwelling Holy Spirit and scripture is not leading the believer to honor Himself in worship, but to testify of the Son ( John 15:26 ) to glorify the Son in worship ( John 16:14 ), and how can He do that except through us? ( John 15:27 ) God is glorified as God by glorifying the Son ( John 13:31-32 ).

There is no other way to glorify God the Father by; Philippians 2:5-13

The Holy Spirit is God, but He is sent to testify of the Son to glorify the Son, and those led by Him will be doing the same thing. It is the Father's will & judgment on how we are to honor the Father by in worship.

Jesus prophesied that the way will be broadened in coming to Him which I believe happened by including the worship of the Holy Spirit with the Father & the Son ( Matthew 7:13-14 ) and the only way to avoid this iniquity is to narrow the way back to the straight gate ( Luke 13:24 ) by keeping the spotlight on the Son in all things which is exactly what the indwelling Holy Spirit is leading us to do even in worship.

1 Corinthians 1:9 God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of his Son Jesus Christ our Lord. 10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment.

Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord; 20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

Dear Brother ChristDependent, I don't know if the following will add to, or help others to further and honor our guide unto all truth; the Holy Spirit, but here goes.

The Holy Spirit, the God of Peace is worshiped in the word. He brought Jesus from the dead (Heb 13:20), and as the Comforter He teaches us all things, and brings to remembrance what Jesus said unto us (Joh 14:26).

The Holy Spirit testifies of Jesus (Joh 15:26), and when he, the Spirit of truth shall not speak of himself, He will shew you things to come. (Joh 16:13).

The Comforter; that Spirit of Truth sanctifies us wholly (John 15:26), and is instrumental in preserving our whole spirit and soul and body blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. (1 Thes 5:23).

What else is the Holy Spirit doing? In type we read of Him as the eldest servant of Abraham in Genesis Chapter Twenty-four seeking the bride of Isaac (Jesus in type) out of Abraham's own people.

Is He God? Of course. Act 5:3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?

Act 5:4 Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.

Dear Brother ChristDependent, I don't know if the following will add to, or help others to further and honor our guide unto all truth; the Holy Spirit, but here goes.

The Holy Spirit, the God of Peace is worshiped in the word. He brought Jesus from the dead (Heb 13:20), and as the Comforter He teaches us all things, and brings to remembrance what Jesus said unto us (Joh 14:26).

Thank you for participating, but I do have some questions for clarification and back to the reproving point of the OP.

How is the Holy Spirit worshiped in the word? None of those references gives instruction for the practice to worship the Holy Spirit Himself or with the Father & the Son.

The Holy Spirit testifies of Jesus (Joh 15:26), and when he, the Spirit of truth shall not speak of himself, He will shew you things to come. (Joh 16:13).

John 16:14 testify that the Holy Spirit will glorify Jesus Christ. Now how can He do that unless through us? How can He speak of the Son except through us?

There is no question about the Holy Spirit being God, but is it not significant that Jesus expounded on how one honors the Father by honoring the Son by saying when we do not honor the Son, we do not honor the Father? John 5:23 Is this verse John 5:22 setting that standard of judgment on all believers?

Is that not saying we cannot honor the Father by honoring the Holy Spirit?

I reckon I can just give my opinion on this one brother. We read of a time when nations will be taught & baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost in Mat 28:19. Has this occurred to this point?

No, we’re told in Col 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. Will the Holy Spirit be worshipped in some manner in that future time as entire nations are turned to God. Is it the Holy Spirit drawing, teaching, and sealing those to God at that future time? I am interested in your view on this, and maybe I missed it, but what worship would you suggest?

Just prior to this Jesus says Mat 28:18 . . All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Has Jesus taken this power yet, or does He remain at the right hand of power of our and His Father? It must be apparent the times of the Gentiles remain, and will continue until Jesus puts down all rule and authority of usurping nations one day when He sits on His own throne (Rev 4:2). Jesus will take that power in 1 Cor 15:28, Heb 2:8 (we do not yet see all things under Him), & 1 Pet 3:22.

And then in your reply I’m not sure if you’re saying that we are not worshipping the Holy Spirit because we are not honoring the Son. Thanks.

Blessings in Christ Jesus.

The best way to understand the ministry of the Holy Spirit is that He (as God) points us to Christ, who in turn points us to the Father. Within the triune Godhead, there is a ranking in authority, where God the Father is the Head of Christ (1 Cor 11:3), even though all Divine Persons are co-equal and co-eternal.

When the disciples asked Jesus to teach them to pray, He began with "Our Father". On the night on which He was betrayed He spoke at great length to the Father. In Gethsemane Christ addressed the Father. On the Cross Christ addressed the Father. And when the Lord Jesus Christ has ultimately subdued all things unto Himself, He will hand over the eternal Kingdom of God to the Father (1 Cor 15:28).

At the same time, worship is always to God, and since God is indeed the triune Godhead (Mt 28:19) the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are jointly worshipped. This is the Mystery of God.

I reckon I can just give my opinion on this one brother. We read of a time when nations will be taught & baptized in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost in Mat 28:19. Has this occurred to this point?

When in practice they have been baptizing in that name which is the name of Jesus, it does not apply.

This is not about acknowledging the deity of the Spirit of God or about acknowledging the Spirit as being one of the Three Persons in the Godhead;

This is about how God the Father wants us to come to Him by and how He wants us to honor Him by.

No, we’re told in Col 3:17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. Will the Holy Spirit be worshipped in some manner in that future time as entire nations are turned to God. Is it the Holy Spirit drawing, teaching, and sealing those to God at that future time? I am interested in your view on this, and maybe I missed it, but what worship would you suggest?

The Holy Spirit is sent to do what? To testify of the Son ( John 15:26 ) to glorify the Son ( John 16:14 ) and how can He do that except through us ( John 15:27 & 1 Corinthians 2:2 & 1 Corinthians 1:9-10 ).

Just prior to this Jesus says Mat 28:18 . . All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Has Jesus taken this power yet, or does He remain at the right hand of power of our and His Father? It must be apparent the times of the Gentiles remain, and will continue until Jesus puts down all rule and authority of usurping nations one day when He sits on His own throne (Rev 4:2). Jesus will take that power in 1 Cor 15:28, Heb 2:8 (we do not yet see all things under Him), & 1 Pet 3:22.

And then in your reply I’m not sure if you’re saying that we are not worshipping the Holy Spirit because we are not honoring the Son. Thanks.

Blessings in Christ Jesus.

How do you read John 5:22-23 ?

John 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

The last portion of verse 23. Why was that added? What wasn't it enough to just infer that honoring the Son was a way to honor the Father? Why signify that when we are not honoring the Son, we are not honoring the Father? Doesn't that last portion reprove the notion of honoring the Holy Spirit because that is the same as not honoring the Son and therefore that is not honoring the Father?

The best way to understand the ministry of the Holy Spirit is that He (as God) points us to Christ, who in turn points us to the Father. Within the triune Godhead, there is a ranking in authority, where God the Father is the Head of Christ (1 Cor 11:3), even though all Divine Persons are co-equal and co-eternal.

When the disciples asked Jesus to teach them to pray, He began with "Our Father". On the night on which He was betrayed He spoke at great length to the Father. In Gethsemane Christ addressed the Father. On the Cross Christ addressed the Father. And when the Lord Jesus Christ has ultimately subdued all things unto Himself, He will hand over the eternal Kingdom of God to the Father (1 Cor 15:28).

At the same time, worship is always to God, and since God is indeed the triune Godhead (Mt 28:19) the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are jointly worshipped. This is the Mystery of God.

Solve this mystery;

Many years ago, a brother from India online in another christian forum had informed me that he used to not believe that the Holy Spirit would do those dramatic manifestations like He did in the early church days, and then he went on to share what had changed his mind. One calender day called Pentecost, after having a Sunday school lesson on the Holy Spirit, they did a morning service honoring the Holy Spirit. He testified that he felt something like liquid nitrogen seeping through his skull and he began confessing an apology against his will to the Holy Spirit for not believing He would do those kinds of manifestations today as He did back then.

That was not the Holy Spirit seeping into his skull since the Holy Spirit was already in him by faith in Jesus Christ. 2 Corinthians 11:1-4 warned believers not to believe any one that testify of another Jesus or another spirit to receive, because in according to our faith, Jesus Christ is in us: 2 Corinthians 13:5.

So why did God permit this strong delusion to occur unless it was because they were honoring the Holy Spirit which the indwelling Holy Spirit & scripture would never lead them to do?

Does this not show the consequence when a believer is not honoring the Son, and therefore he is not honoring the Father and that is why God allowed this strong delusion to occur because they climbed up another way in approaching God the Father in worship?

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 10:1 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.....7 Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.

When in practice they have been baptizing in that name which is the name of Jesus, it does not apply.

This is not about acknowledging the deity of the Spirit of God or about acknowledging the Spirit as being one of the Three Persons in the Godhead;

This is about how God the Father wants us to come to Him by and how He wants us to honor Him by.

The Holy Spirit is sent to do what? To testify of the Son ( John 15:26 ) to glorify the Son ( John 16:14 ) and how can He do that except through us ( John 15:27 & 1 Corinthians 2:2 & 1 Corinthians 1:9-10 ).

How do you read John 5:22-23 ?

John 5:23 . . . He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

The last portion of verse 23. Why was that added? What wasn't it enough to just infer that honoring the Son was a way to honor the Father? Why signify that when we are not honoring the Son, we are not honoring the Father? Doesn't that last portion reprove the notion of honoring the Holy Spirit because that is the same as not honoring the Son and therefore that is not honoring the Father?
I'm sorry brother, but I'm not seeing this at all. Are you in some manner suggesting that that honoring Jesus due to the fact that the Holy Spirit testified of Him is in fact honoring the Holy Spirit? If not I may wait for other replies to get this old head of mine thinking. I do appreciate your efforts on this, as I've not heard it before.

I'm sorry brother, but I'm not seeing this at all. Are you in some manner suggesting that that honoring Jesus due to the fact that the Holy Spirit testified of Him is in fact honoring the Holy Spirit? If not I may wait for other replies to get this old head of mine thinking. I do appreciate your efforts on this, as I've not heard it before.

No. I am saying that all we are led by scripture & the Holy Spirit to do in honoring the Father is by only one way... and that is by honoring the Son. There is no other way to honor the Father by.

I believe the Holy Spirit is God, and is one of the Three Witnesses within the One God, but scripture testify the Father's will on how He wants us to honor Him by.

No. I am saying that all we are led by scripture & the Holy Spirit to do in honoring the Father is by only one way... and that is by honoring the Son. There is no other way to honor the Father by.

Okay, and I think I now realize where I was not reading your first post correctly.
This is what I was reading:
I believe the Holy Spirit is God . . .
. . . the Father's will on how He wants us to honor Him (I was reading this "Him" as referring to the Holy Spirit.) Sorry.

Okay, and I think I now realize where I was not reading your first post correctly.
This is what I was reading:
I believe the Holy Spirit is God . . .
. . . the Father's will on how He wants us to honor Him (I was reading this "Him" as referring to the Holy Spirit.) Sorry.

That's okay. It does show I need to clarify what I am sharing even in my use of the pronouns. I can see how that can be confusing.

The Father's will on how the Father wants us to honor the Father is by only honoring the Son. This is what those led by the Holy Spirit will be doing as scripture confirms this truth.

The Nicene creed of 381 A.D. may very well be the prophecy Jesus had given about the broadening of the way in coming to God the Father as if invitations had been given out to come to the Father also by way of the Holy Spirit in Matthew 7:13-14 as the fruit of the false prophet is being ecumenical in nature ( Matthew 7:15-16 ) which was the purpose of the creed. The solution to this iniquity is to narrow the way back to the Son in fellowship, prayer, and worship; Luke 13:24-30

Hi Eugene, Something most people do not emphasize is that the Virgin Birth of Christ of Mary was by the Holy Spirit. (Matt. 1:18)
You're right and thanks. That's like many things we get our thoughts fixed on and forget all the many other things the Holy Spirit did manifest in God's word. With this I just thought of Ananias, with Sapphira lying to the Holy Ghost, and being mentioned as God in Act 5:3-4. I wonder at what all He had to do with that, but I would imagine there was nothing done without His involvement.
:wave2

The very apostasy is that if they feel a spirit coming over them when the real indwelling Holy Spirit is already in them, that is not the Holy Spirit. John 14:16-17 1 John 4:3-4
The disciples received the seal of the Holy Spirit before Jesus' ascension to heaven:
"He breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit." (John 20:22 NASB bold mine)

Then they received the baptism of the Spirit--the baptism of power--later at Pentecost:
"...tongues as of fire distributing themselves, and they rested on each one of them.4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit" (Acts 2:3 NASB)

Even Jesus had a subsequent infilling of the power of the Holy Spirit:

"...Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan.10 Immediately coming up out of the water, He saw the heavens opening, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon Him..." (Mark 1:9-10 NASB)

But I have the feeling we're going to be asked to forego what the scriptures actually say and accept a non-Biblical doctrine.

What you posted (and I quoted) is true. However, the rest of your post is a logical error called "begging the question" The error in logic happens when one makes a premise (be it true or not [for the sake of argumentation]) and then asks a question that is irrelevant to the premise. When such an argument is exposed, then the entire question is rendered moot.

In this case, your unspoken premise is that "since Christians are to worship both God the Father and Jesus the Son, we are also supposed to worship God, Holy Spirit."

Therefore, your task, (and this is not an attack on your belief system) is to find verses in Scripture that tell Christians (even Jews) to worship Holy Spirit.. I really have not found one verse that comes close to that, so I will be interested if you can find one with that specific command.

Thank you

Back