Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

No Private Interpretations Allowed

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
C

ConquererWorm

2Peter 1:20
KNOW(ing) THIS FIRST... NO prophecy of the Scripture is of any private interpretation.

So then... how come it be then that there ARE sooo many intepretations out there? Forgive me, but I stick my neck right out there for any and all to do with as they please. I state right up front that I address this openly to all professing believers in the spirit of Ps.58, Do ye indeed speak righteousness, O congregation?

Please explain to me, O ye of the 10,000 denominations, how it can be that I struggle to find two witnesses who can speak the same thing on ANY issue???!!!???

Where, O where in the Scriptures does it say, "Do with the Book of Daniel as you see fit!"? Where does it say that one can believe Jesus is God, and another believe Jesus a created angel? Where does it say...

Is there a compendium of thee most controversial verses? oh, but then, is not even the Authority of Scripture under scrutiny???

Do we have one accord? Do we have one mind?... as far as the interpretation of prophecy?

Where are you? :tongueuppydogeyes

CW you seemed to have thrown random thoughts into a bucket, where are you? are you looking for genuine discussion or are you truly trying to find out about other ideas and values that may add to your understanding. There are a lot of different opinions on this forum and in the Christian community. I don't agree with a lot of things, but it has also re-inforced my faith in Christ to debate and discuss certain matters. So please before you throw everything into the bucket, it might be a good idea you let us know where you come from in regards to daniel and scripture?

ConquererWorm said:
KNOW(ing) THIS FIRST... NO prophecy of the Scripture is of any private interpretation.

So then... how come it be then that there ARE sooo many intepretations out there? Forgive me, but I stick my neck right out there for any and all to do with as they please. I state right up front that I address this openly to all professing believers in the spirit of Ps.58, Do ye indeed speak righteousness, O congregation?

Please explain to me, O ye of the 10,000 denominations, how it can be that I struggle to find two witnesses who can speak the same thing on ANY issue???!!!???

Where, O where in the Scriptures does it say, "Do with the Book of Daniel as you see fit!"? Where does it say that one can believe Jesus is God, and another believe Jesus a created angel? Where does it say...

Is there a compendium of thee most controversial verses? oh, but then, is not even the Authority of Scripture under scrutiny???

Do we have one accord? Do we have one mind?... as far as the interpretation of prophecy?

"No prophecy of the Scripture is of any private interpretation," meaning they are God given. All prophecy is God given and not the interpretation of those that penned them. Some interpret that verse to mean that those teaching the prophecies, those giving their private interpretations, are what is being referenced....it is not. :) The following verse explains that.....

• 11 Peter 1:21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

To qualify your statement:
2 Peter 1:20  Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21  For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
Actually, to me what the scripture means when it says "no scripture is of any private interpretation", is not really referring to us. It's referring to the ones that wrote it. They were under control by the Spirit of God... and I'm sure the prophets...Isaiah, Daniel, Jeremiah...even Peter, Paul etc. were much more in tune with God than most of us. The majority of them were also known as miracle workers.
If you are asking why WE have private interpretation. Usually, it's because:1. we don't read the whole context 2. We don't know enough about scripture in general 3. We have our own pet theories 4. We are stubborn but not discerning 5. We simply believe what we are taught without even studying to see whether such things are so ... as the Bereans... which were counted more noble than those in Thessalonica.
And being as how you give an admonishment to follow scripture and not our own private interpretation... I'm sure if you had enough discussion... you would find some of your own beliefs are out of sync with the Bible... as my own may be at times.
We usually do the best we can with what we have. The basic rule is follow after those things that make for peace and things that we may edify (build up) one another with. There aren't very many Christians today that I would consider prophet quality...so take it easy on us.

I hear that your heart is calling out for the unity of the faith and rightfully so. I do agree with the others that the scripture about no private interpretation is about how scripture is written by the will of God and not directed by the people who penned it. That is greatly disputed even these days. But on prophecy it does apply to think of it in this way also because the word of God interprets the word of God. Prophecy in the word of God is judged by and understood by the other prophecies in the bible. So a person may have their own understanding of the prophetic scrolls spoken of for example but when they study all of them together in the bible they begin to leave off their own private idea and begin to see how the word of God connects and explains itself. Often times what happens is people do not yet know the full councel of God in any matter so they are still working off their private ideas which is what begins to create this disunity in the body of Christ.

But be of good cheer! We will all come into the unity of the faith, we will come unto the perfect man, built into the measure and stature and fullness of Christ!

Paul said to the corinthians, that He believes there is heresies(divisions) amoung them and there must be, because in that it shows forth who is approved of God. So let us cast out cares on our Father and look in faith for the day when we are knit together in loving unity, and when we walk by faith we will begin to see it and experience it now and then eventually as a whole body.

ConquererWorm said:

Hi CW, yes your right, there are so many interpretations out there so which of these does honour to God’s word and how do we define the ‘truth’ in this puzzling maze of opinions?

It maybe that this is not such an unusual situation and was foreseen in 2 Timothy 2: 15. “Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.â€Â

King David noted the joy of unity.
Psalms 133: 1. “Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!â€Â

I note that at the first outpouring of the Holy Spirit that there seemed a moment of unity in the upper room except for doubting Thomas. Yet Ephesians chapter 4 seems to indicate the same problem back then that you mention is still prevalent today.

There will be according to the scriptures apostasy before the second advent of Christ as you most probably know.

I note that you mention the book of Daniel and I agree that some interpretations are not in accord with the scriptures.
So we should accept the advice of 1Timothy 2: 15 when studying.
When reading Daniel in minute detail it is good to let the Bible speak for itself.
I did go to a church that taught ‘Daniel 8: 21 was referring to Alexander the Great and the Medo Persian Empire in 331BC.’
That seemed plausible at the time until I found out from where the word Greecia3120 was translated from; it was from the word ‘Yavan,’3120 found in Gen 10: 4, 5, which speaks of the Western migration and populating the many lands of the Western Gentile nations which changed the whole chapter to the vision's stipulated time indicated in verse 17 to that of 'the time of the end' and not 3312BC and the combatants involved in Daniel 8 traveling from the West 'over the whole earth not touching the ground' are from the family line of Yavan which are the Western Gentile nations not simply the single nation of Greece. Also the Medo/Persians fought Alexander the great on the Arbella Plains, over 1000 miles away from the vision's stipulated geographical location called the 'Ulai River' now called the Karun River in Iran, see verses 2-8.
The angel Gabriel would never have said 'Grecia' he would have spoken to Daniel in Aramaic and used the word 'Yavan.'3120.
You ask ‘where are you?’ I’m still searching CW. :crying

ConquererWorm said:

The very first time that God's words were quoted, they were added to by Eve. It's Satan's job to entice humans to add to or subtract from God's word and it's no different today. People add or subtract whatever words they want to from the bible. That's the reason for the different denominations.

Heidi said:
ConquererWorm said:

The very first time that God's words were quoted, they were added to by Eve. It's Satan's job to entice humans to add to or subtract from God's word and it's no different today. People add or subtract whatever words they want to from the bible. That's the reason for the different denominations.

Agreed and when changing words, people are in breach of….. Revelation 22: 18. For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; 19. and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
PC

The problem with interpretation is that men add their own meanings to things long before they understand them.

It is interesting to note that when one asks a child something which is far beyond their maturity to understand, they will still have an answer. There have been TV shows based on this phenomenon. One that comes to mind is.."Kids say the darndest things"

Now people laugh at these childish explanations....it's seen as cute and sweet. But it takes a more sinister turn with added years. Grizzley cubs are cute too...until they grow up!

So it is with human nature. We find it difficult at times to just say..."I don't know!" Hence the myriads of private interpretations. The problem of course is that when God reveals something to someone, it is just seen as another private interpretation. :sad

Adullam said:
The problem with interpretation is that men add their own meanings to things long before they understand them.

It is interesting to note that when one asks a child something which is far beyond their maturity to understand, they will still have an answer. There have been TV shows based on this phenomenon. One that comes to mind is.."Kids say the darndest things"

Now people laugh at these childish explanations....it's seen as cute and sweet. But it takes a more sinister turn with added years. Grizzley cubs are cute too...until they grow up!

So it is with human nature. We find it difficult at times to just say..."I don't know!" Hence the myriads of private interpretations. The problem of course is that when God reveals something to someone, it is just seen as another private interpretation. :sad

Isaiah 30: 9. That this is a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law of the LORD:

10. Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits:

What has changed over 2000 years? :crying

ConquererWorm said:

:biggrin I know exactly where you're coming from...It's customary today for Christians to accuse one another of using his or her own private interpretation of the prophetic scriptures when they don't agree with that interpretation. They are particularly critical of one whose interpretation doesn't line up with the traditional "Antichrist" teaching and all the traditional doctrines surrounding that teaching.

Today's typical Christian doesn't understand that everything they believe and teach regarding the end-times came from the private interpretation of ol' John Darby who lived back in the 17th or 18th century.

The pre-trib rapture was a private interpretation of his. The whole notion of a false messiah or Antichrist was another.

That Jews are God's chosen people is another teaching which came straight from Darby's own private interpretation.

The whole notion that Israel and the Jews are at the center of end-time prophecies, was Darby's own private interpretation.

Darby privately interpretedthe temple of God in 2nd Thes.2 to mean, a future erected temple in Jerusalem. And he privately interpreted the taking away of the daily sacrifice in Daniel to mean a future reinstatement and taking away of animal sacrificing in the temple.

Such nonsense and such teachings today is that of Darby's private interpretation.

Guess he and today's Christians totally overlooked the scriptures in Daniel 12 in which the angel of the Lord told Daniel to seal up his writtings til the time of the end when knowledge and understanding of his prophecies would increase. In other words the angel was saying, "Daniel, your prophecies cannot be understood until AFTER THOSE PROPHECIES HAVE COME TO PASS, and can only be understood by those whom are living AT THE TIME OF THE END and have witnessed those events come to pass.

BUT, when one such as I comes along and applies Daniel's prophecies to events in America which have occured over the last half of this century, those same ones who follow Darby's teachings, accuses me of using my own private interpretations. Go figure.

Our Lord told the educated people of his day:
John 5:43-44
43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.

44 How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only? KJV

Even within our religious fellowship we should not practice the honoring and praising of men. Let us honor and praise the Father and the Son.

Look at the introductions in the different letters written to the church groups by Peter, James, John, Jude and Paul. Consider the endings of the letters. These communications were not "books" whereby they were establishing a ministry in their name. For those of us who have been bitten on the heel through the making of many books, it is impossible for us to return to the simplicity of the apostles and the prophets.

God will cause the leviathan in the sea to vomit us up on dry land. Then we will go forth to the duty that is set before us. In Jesus Christ the sign of Jonah is the only sign that is given to us. We do not desire that sign. "Lord, be it far from you."

John 21:18-19
18 Verily, verily, I say unto thee, When thou wast young, thou girdedst thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest: but when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not.

19 This spake he, signifying by what death he should glorify God. And when he had spoken this, he saith unto him, Follow me. KJV

Joe

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back