Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

No such thing as Christian music???

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
R

rover

Alright someone told me that there's no such thing as christian music, jsut christian lyrics. Who agrees? i kinda agree with them though but what does everyone else think???

I personally don't break music into Christian and non-Christian categories. Music is music, its just from perspective. Some music is written from a Christian perspective, some is not, some is based on scripture and would be considered a worship song, other music is anti-God. I rate music more on content and conversely, things I don't want to hear. I rate it more on if it has any personal value to me.

In short, music isn't saved... bands aren't saved... but individuals are saved.

I heard someone state a theory once, I think it might have been Kevin Prosch, that all music is worship. That's what music is.

Interesting angle.

Jari

rover said:
Alright someone told me that there's no such thing as christian music, jsut christian lyrics. Who agrees? i kinda agree with them though but what does everyone else think???

You can't classifly music as being non-christian or christian because music is just purely instruments. When you add the lyrics to make a song, that's when you can start judging for yourself on how you want to classify it. It's the lyrics that put the music at question. Not the actual music itself.

I believe there to be more than just christian lyrics, because I can play guitar and not sing but i'm playing to worship God. So I would classify that as Christian Music. Also i'm in band and there are songs that have never had lyrics that were written to worship God. So I think there is definately Christian music not just lyrics... Just my opinion though.

I was just having this heated debate with my husband 2 days ago. I think that when it comes to christian music that it can be applied to any genre of music,heavy metal,punk,rap as long as it has a positive christian message.My husband ,who is a christian, thinks that it's a deception by satan,because [heavy metal for example]," how can anything that sounds so dark and rageful be glorifying God". I've tried to defend my point by saying things like don't judge a book by it's cover ,you know the old cliches but I'm not much of a debater. Any way does anyone have an opinion on this subject,and if so how would you reply to my husbands argument,[if you did'nt agree with him that is . ] Thanks for your imput :-D

" how can anything that sounds so dark and rageful be glorifying God".

Well we've all read passages in God's Word that are dark and gloomy but that doesn't mean they don't have their value. I believe light can shine in even in the darkest of places. I think its good to have a Christian perspective coming from all different styles of music.

wow I never thought of something as being christian music or not sure there are christian lyrics but it is the words that define a song not the beat.

rover said:
Yes there is such a thing as Christian music. First of all there are all types of music. If the music does not have a handle how are you going to identify it. Now if you want me to go deeper I will.

rover said:

To me, the lyrics are part of the music. I don't see the point of classifying the music[excluding lyrics] into Christian and non-Christian; there's no point because there is no music[excluding lyrics] that is not Christian!!!!!!

I could debate all night with you 'old-school' Christians about metal, but it wold get no where and would just make you think it was more evil. But here is what I say: The screaming doesn't always sound so dark and angry - it's just screaming. I personally like it because of its sound (I think all the people that dislike it think it sounds really crappy). But I ask you, if the lyrics are (example) "God is my Savior, Jesus died on the cross for my sins, I love God!!!!" and they're screaming it, how can it be wrong? It's what's in your heart that matters, not what your voice sounds like.

Rock out for Christ. \m/ (^o^) \m/

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back