Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Not Onto Death

G

greyfeather

What is the sin that is not a sin unto death, and why does it say in the NT, that if you see a brother commit a sin not unto death that you should pray for this person. ? I thought all sin no matter how great or small was still a sin, except the sin of blaspheming the Holy Ghost, I know that one can not be forgiven.

Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God.

Not unto death

Greyfeather: I have thought about those verses in 1 John 5:16-17 some.
I'll give my view, though it is debateable.

John, as a Jewish Christian, one of the Apostles, was there at Pentecost and later until he went to the Isle of Patmos.

It is my understanding that the kingdom for Israel was again being offered through the 12 Apostles and all the disciples, as set forth in the Acts. The Holy Spirit was there in power and in the miracles that took place. And we read that Annanias and Saphira were struck down and died because they had lied to the Holy Spirit. There's was certainly a sin unto death. And, they may have been others not recorded.

I believe John is referring to something like this.

Another thought occured:Paul warns in 1 Corinthians 11 that participating in the Communion without discerning the body of the Lord brings judgment upon oneself. We read that some were weak and sick and some died. Perhaps this is what John was referring to.

At any rate, Since Paul was called to be apostle and teacher to the gentiles,
and refusing to witness anymore to the Jews (see Acts 28:25-28), I understand that we are in an era of great grace, and God is not judging any one openly like in the times of Acts.

God bless, Bick

greyfeather said:
What is the sin that is not a sin unto death, and why does it say in the NT, that if you see a brother commit a sin not unto death that you should pray for this person. ? I thought all sin no matter how great or small was still a sin, except the sin of blaspheming the Holy Ghost, I know that one can not be forgiven.

What is sin?
1John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
What is the law? The 10 commandments, the law keeps us out of trouble!

Thats why we have repentance, now our sins can be forgiven.

2Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

After some thought, I think you were talking about this vs.

Mat 18:15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.

Mat 18:16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
If this fails and the person neglects to hear them and even neglects to hear you. He flat out refuses to abide by the family rules of law, then let the matter become of public record and deal with that person as you would an outsider, even in the civil court if it is a matter of substance and is waranted. At this point he is not repentant and has thus shown that he really is not your brother.

Mat 18:17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.
If a brother repents forgive him! If he doesn't repent, execute even the full extent of the law. Christians are not doormats for people to walk all over and take advantage of.
Luke 17:3-4

Mat 18:18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.
Thats the way it is.

Mat 18:19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

Mat 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

How far should we carry this forgiveness?

Mat 18:21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?

Mat 18:22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven
490 times a day, I really don't think anyone could sin that much!

Jesus Christ gave His life and paid a awesome price for "Whosoever" will turn to Him in repentance and ask forforgiveness. Matt 26:28

irishman,
These are the verses I was reffering to , sorry I should have put them in my post in the first place.

Jhon 5:15-17

15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.

16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

greyfeather said:
irishman,
These are the verses I was reffering to , sorry I should have put them in my post in the first place.

Jhon 5:15-17

15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.

16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

17 All unrighteousness is sin: and there is a sin not unto death.

I John 5:15 And if we know that He hear us whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of Him.

Father hears our prayers, you should ask according to His will and trust His judgment which is always righteous and fair.

I John 5:16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and He shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

Most Christians do not habitually sin. But as long as we remain in these flesh bodies we will fall short and in on occasion sin. When we see our Christian brother or sister sin we should pray for them that they might repent and and not continue in their sin.

ALL sins with the exception of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit are forgivable. And it is not yet time for anyone to have commited this sin yet.

Luke 12:10 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven.
It is one of God's elect that are delivered up to witness through the Holy Spirit, as written of in Mark 13:11, against the false Messiah, and he or she refuses to allow the Holy Spirit to speak him or her, there is no forgiveness.

John 5:17 All unrighteousness is sin; and there is a sin not unto death.

That is why Jesus Christ came and shed His blood, that we can have repentance. If we abide in Christ (this word) and He abides in us and He keeps us from the wicked one. Should remind you of this vs." And lead us not into tempatation, but deliver us from evil(Satan), for thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever Amen."

I John 5:18 We know that whosoever is born of God sinneth not; but He that is begotten of God keepeth himself, and that wicked one toucheth him not.
He that is born of God does not habitually sin but instead keeps Jesus Christ in his heart/mind so with Christ being there , Satan the wicked on cannot touch him. Paul used the Gospel Armor an analogy of the Word of God Eph 6. So that the fiery darts of Satan can't touch us.
------------

Want to had, IF one does have a bad habit, pray to GOD for the strength to overcome that habit.

Back